LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 403 users in the forums

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kes8514:
This guys stock just rose a little with that performance by the Seahawks defense.

Big, Physical, DB's are going to be all the rage in the NFL.

Does he have dreadlocks and a really big mouth?

No he doesn't.

However, I'd take Sherman any day of the week on my team. Dude is a baller. Even though he's annoying as hell and plays for our hated rival...you can't deny his amazing playmaking ability and shutting down an entire side of the field.
He and Justin Gilbert seem like they are big time ball hawks. I am all for that. I would love to have two hard hitting safeties and two big, ball-hawk CBs. I am assuming that Culliver will be back in the fold next year. Brock was solid in his first year as a starter. We need one more guy to fill the potential losses of Brown and Rogers.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
He and Justin Gilbert seem like they are big time ball hawks. I am all for that. I would love to have two hard hitting safeties and two big, ball-hawk CBs. I am assuming that Culliver will be back in the fold next year. Brock was solid in his first year as a starter. We need one more guy to fill the potential losses of Brown and Rogers.

We need two guys really we need a guy who can play all cb spots, but we really need a guy who can play slot so we can give carlos his walking papers.

Yes this kid looks good, his hips seem good, size is great, hands are above avg for a cb. Does need some work, that is to be expected as he's really a wr, but that's what having good coachs are for to get the talent out of this kid...
I like this guy...and I like McGill too.

I see some people say they might not be a physical as you like for a player that size, but just hitting hard isn't the reason I like them.

It's the LENGTH. Richard Sherman isn't all that physical either...but his height and length make it so damn hard to throw over him.

Maybe a double dip at CB in the 3rd round?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I see some people say they might not be a physical as you like for a player that size, but just hitting hard isn't the reason I like them.

It's the LENGTH. Richard Sherman isn't all that physical either...but his height and length make it so damn hard to throw over him.

That's why you want long guys on offense and defense. Which we don't have especially on defense.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

That's why you want long guys on offense and defense. Which we don't have especially on defense.

?

That might be true at CB, but not at any of the other positions.

Its really quite comical when you look at the arm lengths of the players they have drafted in the last few years. Aldon might have the longest arms in the league. Eric Reids are the longest I've ever seen on a safety. Carradine, Dial, Lemonier...even McDonald....LONG arms. Crab too.
Whitner is the only person lacking ideal measurables on defense.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

They don't measure up to the Legion of Boom of Seattle.

Brandon Browner - suspended, appealing, play again, not play again? Fact is he did play there for a while. 6'4" 221 lbs.

Cam Chancellor - 6'3" 232 lbs.

Richard Sherman - 6'3" with long arms to bat down passes like the one that ended the NFC Championship.

We need a Legion of Boom. That's how you win a Super Bowl.
Agreed ^^

It would certainly help with what we already have on the D outside of the secondary.

Identify such players and go get them.
[ Edited by 49er-from-Yavin-IV on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

Brandon Browner - suspended, appealing, play again, not play again? Fact is he did play there for a while. 6'4" 221 lbs.

Richard Sherman - 6'3" with long arms to bat down passes like the one that ended the NFC Championship.

Thats a tall order....

....but with so many picks in the first 3 rounds they can afford to load up at a single position. McGill AND Jean-Baptiste. They may need to find a safety but Reid would fit nicely in that group.

It won't happen...but it would be interesting.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM ]

Seattle's front seven is more impressive than their secondary. Seattle's front seven had Payton Manning so rattled, he couldn't set his feet to throw the ball.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:

Seattle's front seven is more impressive than their secondary. Seattle's front seven had Payton Manning so rattled, he couldn't set his feet to throw the ball.

Finally, someone who GETS it. Seattle's secondary is the best in the league because their pass rush is relentless in its disruption. Their pressure is so constant and intense that your QB can't sit back and allow routes to develop...he has to get rid of the ball quickly, and the defense knows it. So all the corners have to do is play press coverage, knock WRs off their routes and man-handle them 10-15 yards down the field. The timing of the route is now off, and your QB has to decide whether to just dump it off short, take a sack or stupidly force a throw into tight coverage.

Pass rush/pressure is everything in the NFL (and I don't mean sacks, I mean pressure that collapses the entire pocket). The kind of pressure that Seattle puts on an offense sets up everything else a team does on defense and if done right, can make even HOF QBs like Peyton Manning look silly.
The combine will be a big factor on this kid imo very talented but how well did he run?

I guess the Ravens, Giants, Packers and all of the other recent Superbowl winners missed that memo.

The worst part of your asinine comment is that by far the best player on their secondary and the guy who really makes it all work, is 5'10".
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:

Finally, someone who GETS it. Seattle's secondary is the best in the league because their pass rush is relentless in its disruption. Their pressure is so constant and intense that your QB can't sit back and allow routes to develop...he has to get rid of the ball quickly, and the defense knows it. So all the corners have to do is play press coverage, knock WRs off their routes and man-handle them 10-15 yards down the field. The timing of the route is now off, and your QB has to decide whether to just dump it off short, take a sack or stupidly force a throw into tight coverage.

Pass rush/pressure is everything in the NFL (and I don't mean sacks, I mean pressure that collapses the entire pocket). The kind of pressure that Seattle puts on an offense sets up everything else a team does on defense and if done right, can make even HOF QBs like Peyton Manning look silly.

I believe Seattle only had one sack during the game and constantly forced Manning to adjust himself in the pocket. Avril owned that tackle he went up against.
But the LOB is the best secondary in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone