There are 189 users in the forums

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

Love this kid.
Anybody know what Louis Riddick has to say about the Senior Bowl CBs, specifically how they played out of a back pedal?
I'm a diehard Nebraska fan. I follow them and their recruiting almost religiously. Neb has produced some solid corners the last few years in Dennard(NE) and Prince(NYG). I think SJB has the highest ceiling out of all of them.

He was recruited as a WR, like Sherman, and switched to DB last year. He went through some growing pains, but made a huge jump in his senior year. He has good hands, very long, decent speed, and great size. His potential is very high in my opinion.

He's the type of DB that Seattle loves, id like to see us get him in the 3rd rd if he's still available. His stock is rising I think...
Originally posted by Kes8514:
I'm a diehard Nebraska fan. I follow them and their recruiting almost religiously. Neb has produced some solid corners the last few years in Dennard(NE) and Prince(NYG). I think SJB has the highest ceiling out of all of them.

He was recruited as a WR, like Sherman, and switched to DB last year. He went through some growing pains, but made a huge jump in his senior year. He has good hands, very long, decent speed, and great size. His potential is very high in my opinion.

He's the type of DB that Seattle loves, id like to see us get him in the 3rd rd if he's still available. His stock is rising I think...

The fact that he switched to DB in 2011 and not last year (as you state) makes me question how much of a diehard Nebraska fan you really are.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The fact that he switched to DB in 2011 and not last year (as you state) makes me question how much of a diehard Nebraska fan you really are.

He actually started the 2011 season at WR, and made the switch to DB once B1G conference games started. His first full year at DB was 2012, which is what I was referring to.

No need to be a d!ck about it sir.
[ Edited by Kes8514 on Jan 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM ]

He actually started the 2011 season at WR, and made the switch to DB once B1G conference games started. His first full year at DB was 2012, which is what I was referring to.

No need to be a d!ck about it sir.

I wasn't being a dick about it at all. Just pointing out that he made the switch earlier than you said. It's not a huge deal, but it's important to have your facts correct or you open yourself up to someone pointing them out (and questioning how close you actually follow them), which is all I did. If that's being a "dick" in your eyes, you're going to have a tough time in life.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM ]
I wasn't being a dick about it at all. Just pointing out that he made the switch earlier than you said. It's not a huge deal, but it's important to have your facts correct or you open yourself up to someone pointing them out (and questioning how close you actually follow them), which is all I did. If that's being a "dick" in your eyes, you're going to have a tough time in life.

A simple, "he actually made the switch in 2011 mid season" would have sufficed, don't you think? The fact that you added on and questioned how much of a Husker fan I am wasn't really needed. Don't you think? That, to me, was not really necessary. Trust me, I'm a huge Husker fan.

I don't let what happens on a football message board, dictate how my life goes. That was comical. I do just fine in life.

Back on topic, SJB has a lot of room to grow as a DB. But I think his potential and intangibles are all there. Would love to see SF draft this kid, but I'm not sure where. His stock is rising in the draft.

A simple, "he actually made the switch in 2011 mid season" would have sufficed, don't you think? The fact that you added on and questioned how much of a Husker fan I am wasn't really needed. Don't you think? That, to me, was not really necessary. Trust me, I'm a huge Husker fan.

I don't let what happens on a football message board, dictate how my life goes. That was comical. I do just fine in life.

Back on topic, SJB has a lot of room to grow as a DB. But I think his potential and intangibles are all there. Would love to see SF draft this kid, but I'm not sure where. His stock is rising in the draft.

You reply your way, I'll reply my way but thank you for the advice. Btw, I agree with your last point on SJB.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Something to consider: a cautionary note,--maybe, perhaps--not really sure.

Jean-Baptiste got 3 of his interceptions and 4 of his passes broken up against the three teams on the Nebraska schedule that were not in the Big Ten or the SEC.

South Dakota St which went 9-5 and was 47th in the FCS in passing efficiency

Wyoming which went 5-7 and was the 41st in the FBS in passing efficiency

So Mississippi which went 1-11 and was the 108th in the FBS in passing efficiency
Originally posted by buck:

Jean-Baptiste got 3 of his interceptions and 4 of his passes broken up against the three teams on the Nebraska schedule that were not in the Big Ten or the SEC.

So Mississippi which went 1-11 and was the 108th in the FBS in passing efficiency

This is true. He started off the year on fire.

His size can't be ignored. I think that's where the potential is. He's going to have some growing pains, but the potential is sky high IMO.

His size can't be ignored. I think that's where the potential is. He's going to have some growing pains, but the potential is sky high IMO.

Why I like him as a 49er because he is a fit, INTs are not an issue in my mind. He fits cause he plays the run, is physical, tackles and hits a total package what I believe he 49ers like in a defender
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

I hope for him that turns out to be the player that you think he will be.

If he does, it would be nice if we picked him up.

Why I like him as a 49er because he is a fit, INTs are not an issue in my mind. He fits cause he plays the run, is physical, tackles and hits a total package what I believe he 49ers like in a defender

I hope for him that he turns out to be the player that you think he can be.

If he does, it would be nice for him to be a 49er.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

He's physical. But needs to work on his tackling in open space. I saw several games where this was an issue. No reason to believe he won't improve, however.
Husker fan here. Baptiste has made a lot of strides. He's a converted wide receiver with a ton of athleticism. His problem early on was body position and how to play the receivers in route. We did not see that this year. He did an excellent job of being physical at the line and disrupting the route and then riding the receiver through the route. I would love to see him in Red and Gold.
Originally posted by TheIntersect:
Husker fan here. Baptiste has made a lot of strides. He's a converted wide receiver with a ton of athleticism. His problem early on was body position and how to play the receivers in route. We did not see that this year. He did an excellent job of being physical at the line and disrupting the route and then riding the receiver through the route. I would love to see him in Red and Gold.

He seems like a rich man's Marcus Cooper, another WR to CB convert. The 49ers' love for converted players with high potential lead me to believe he is high on their list of interest. I'm not decided yet on where I find his value or how much I'd want him, but I would trust the staff's call on him if they were to pick him.
Share 49ersWebzone