LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

Originally posted by Harbaalke:
DEFENSIVE BACKS

Best press technique: CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska Jean-Baptiste has above-average size and uses his length well to disrupt receivers' releases. He also has above-average balance and fluidity for a taller corner and, being a former receiver, appears natural locating and playing the football.

Best man-to-man cover skills: CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida Watkins showed quick feet, above-average fluidity and transitioned well out of his breaks, not to mention he also flashed good anticipation and route-recognition skills to get early breaks on throws. Utah State's Nevin Lawson also flashed well here this week.

Most versatile: S Dez Southward, Wisconsin At 6-0⅛ and 206 pounds, Southward is big enough to lineup at safety, at which he shows good recognition skills, range, plus the ability to play the run. He didn't show great fluidity at corner, but he's smart and he has enough foot speed to line up there depending on 8the matchup.

Ill take Nevin Lawson Utah gets some great projects. Whats his projected round?
Originally posted by Since07:

Lawson would be perfect for Seattle, he was holding the s**t out of people 2 weeks in a row, especially during the Shrine Game.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Lawson would be perfect for Seattle, he was holding the s**t out of people 2 weeks in a row, especially during the Shrine Game.

Yea Lawson is a late draft pick at best
How often does he press because we rarely press

IMO, we rarely press because our CBs aren't very good at it. Some might think it's a schematic thing, but I think our off-coverage is out of necessity. If we had big, physical corners who could press (like they hoped Nnamdi would still be able to), I think they'd do more of it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

IMO, we rarely press because our CBs aren't very good at it. Some might think it's a schematic thing, but I think our off-coverage is out of necessity. If we had big, physical corners who could press (like they hoped Nnamdi would still be able to), I think they'd do more of it.

So why not draft bigger, stronger ones as many are suggesting? It's sure a successful formula for the Seahawks.
He's been my 3rd fav cb after dennard and gilbert. I'd easily use a 2nd on him, which is where I think he goes when all said and done
I'm at people just now "discovering" this kid. I guess being a Nebraska fan makes me a little bit ahead of the curve on SJB. His biggest advantage is just like Reid ..... the mental aspects of the game. Always seems to sniff the ball out, but does get burned occasionally trying to make a big play. I'd take him and/or Dennard - that would make my day.

Jean-Baptiste - Reid - Buchannon (sp?) - Dennard as the starting secondary? Yes, please.

Pipe dream. I know. Don't beat me up too bad, please.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So why not draft bigger, stronger ones as many are suggesting? It's sure a successful formula for the Seahawks.

Because we're not the Seahawks. There's more than one way to play football. You don't go copying anything and everything just because it was successful. There are always variables to why things work for that particular team (scheme, chemistry, confidence, reps, down/distance, intentions, gameplan etc.).

If that was logic the case, after our Superbowl run last year, every other team would be drafting a running QB and looking for a TE that can run a 4.3
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

"The bigger corner can do 90 percent of the play wrong and at the last second sway that ball away, and that's what Jean-Baptiste and these other bigger corners bring to the table," said Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, who served as general manager of the Cleveland Browns from 2005-08.
Originally posted by Beeker:
I'm at people just now "discovering" this kid. I guess being a Nebraska fan makes me a little bit ahead of the curve on SJB. His biggest advantage is just like Reid ..... the mental aspects of the game. Always seems to sniff the ball out, but does get burned occasionally trying to make a big play. I'd take him and/or Dennard - that would make my day.

Jean-Baptiste - Reid - Buchannon (sp?) - Dennard as the starting secondary? Yes, please.

Why didn't you tell us earlier if you knew about him?? But NO Buchannon at safety he whiffs on tackles like Cyprien/Goldson

• Ether
  • Veteran
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but SJB came to Nebraska as a wide receiver. That's why his ball skills are better than most CBs. He's only been playing on the defensive side for 2.5 years.

Edit: Funny note: I followed his recruitment to Nebraska through huskerboard.com (I'm a huge Nebraska fan). His brother actually created an account (BIG BROTHER) and comments time to time on that board to thank the husker fans and was actually the first to inform the board that SJB was changing positions.
[ Edited by Ether on Jan 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by Beeker:

Why didn't you tell us earlier if you knew about him?? But NO Buchannon at safety he whiffs on tackles like Cyprien/Goldson

Guess I need to do more research on the safeties ....

Exactly. I don't think it's a schematic thing either, if we swapped DBs with Seattle, we'd see more press. Some people are calling for our secondary to play more like Seattle's and I'm not sure how that would be achieved with our current group of significantly smaller, not as physical CBs (exception of Brock, dude is small but plays physical and aggressive like any other, much bigger than his size).

If we happen to get bigger and/or more physical at CB, I'd expect to see more press, less off coverage.
I believe is important to consider this Kid not only because I'm a huge fan but the kid still has room to grow at the position very impressed by his game tape with his limited amount of games played at CB. Our schedule will feature alot of big WRs like the Bears.
Share 49ersWebzone