LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

I have said it before, and ill say it again for any haters to write down.

Cooks have a very good shot at being the best WR in this class when its all said and done. I also think he is the most ready to go from day 1 wr in this class.

I am glad the phoenix finally drank the coolaid though.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on May 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Cooks have a very good shot at being the best WR in this class when its all said and done. I also think he is the most ready to go from day 1 wr in this class.

I don't care what anyone says about him. I'd be very happy if he ended up on the Niners. Nobody can possibly even consider playing a one deep safety set against the Niners offense with Cooks on the field. And no Niner fan should spend any time wondering if he'd have the same problems as Jenkins. Cooks is aggressive as all get out. He's a fighter.
Originally posted by crake49:

I don't care what anyone says about him. I'd be very happy if he ended up on the Niners. Nobody can possibly even consider playing a one deep safety set against the Niners offense with Cooks on the field. And no Niner fan should spend any time wondering if he'd have the same problems as Jenkins. Cooks is aggressive as all get out. He's a fighter.

I said it on page one of this thread, but i havent seen the comparison made much, so ill say it again....Second coming of Isaac Bruce IMO.
ready for him to don the NINER hat tomorrow.
Jeez some of you guys are on his dick. He was one of my favorites but I'm not too sure now... someone convince me to hop back on the bandwagon.

Based on who the 49ers have been talking to this offseason, based on the way I look at things, I feel like Cooks is the prospect who best fulfills their needs at WR. I'm still iffy on his run blocking but just like you, when all is said and done, I believe he could end up being the best, most productive WR to come out of this draft. He's got the talent, the athleticism and the determination to be successful no matter where he goes.
Originally posted by crake49:

The Seahawks would consider it ... in fact they would probably do it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Based on who the 49ers have been talking to this offseason, based on the way I look at things, I feel like Cooks is the prospect who best fulfills their needs at WR. I'm still iffy on his run blocking but just like you, when all is said and done, I believe he could end up being the best, most productive WR to come out of this draft. He's got the talent, the athleticism and the determination to be successful no matter where he goes.
Like i said, slightly smaller Issac Bruce. Take it to the bank.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Jeez some of you guys are on his dick. He was one of my favorites but I'm not too sure now... someone convince me to hop back on the bandwagon.

I have been high on the kid for a LOOONNNG time. Not gonna change.

I will have no problem if he falls down to 30 but is he really worth trading up for if this years wr class is so deep? The only wr prospects worth trading up imo is waktins and evans but they are pipe dreams.

so you hopped off cuz more people got on?
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

so you hopped off cuz more people got on?

haha no i just lost interest in him as time went on.

I will have no problem if he falls down to 30 but is he really worth trading up for if this years wr class is so deep? The only wr prospects worth trading up imo is waktins and evans but they are pipe dreams.

If he is around at 20-24 then it would be worth the move IMO to snag him if he is on the 49ers radar. IMO he wont be there at our current pick.

Winning the 40 was the combine triumph everyone knows about, but Cooks piled up smaller victories throughout his time in Indianapolis. "I've talked to different teams that interviewed him, and they were just blown away by how football smart he was," Jeremiah says. At Oregon State's pro day, Brennan heard the same reviews. Five different teams said he was the best interview they'd had.

Position coaches are hard to trust when it comes to their own players. The time spent together during the season is almost endless, and with Cooks and Brennan, it was even more time than most. Cooks was a fixture in the Oregon State complex, and it would often lead to sit-downs in Brennan's office that would veer far from football. Brennan struggles to settle on one memory he'll cling to after Cooks is gone. "For me, it'll be that he's the gold standard of receivers going forward," Brennan says. "He was the most complete football player that I've ever been around. For there to ever be another one to have all the things that he had … I couldn't even imagine."

http://grantland.com/features/brandin-cooks-nfl-draft-oregon-state-wide-receiver/

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/34722

Durability-1-Durability is not a concern at this point. Has appeared in all 27 career games while starting all 25 games the past two seasons.

Intangibles-1-High motivated with strong work ethic. Passionate about the game. 2013 team captain. Mature individual that came from a tough upbringing. Father Worth Sr., passed away when Brandin was six years old leaving his mother Andrea to raise Brandin and his two older brothers Worth Jr. and Andre by herself. The family struggled to make ends meet as Andrea was forced to work two jobs. Older brother Andre has been in and out of jail and has never seen Brandin play a college game.

Separation Skills-1-Polished overall route runner that flashes savvy. Does a nice job of working defenders with tempo and head and shoulder fakes to set up breaks. Above-average burst out of cuts to create separation. Reads coverage rotation well on the run and has a natural feel for soft spots working against zone coverage.

Ball Skills-2-Average to below-average catch radius. However, possesses natural and strong hands. Above-average body control adjusting to throws outside of frame. Although he lacks prototypical height he is physical, aggressive and times leaps well to win in contested situations for a smaller receiver.

Big play ability-2-Possesses above-average top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. Flashes the ability to win one-on-one downfield battles despite lack of height. Instinctive runner after the catch. Shows good open field vision along with the speed and elusiveness to turn and short throw into a big gain.

Competitiveness-1-Highly instinctive and competitive. Tough and shows excellent focus in traffic. Plays bigger than measurables indicate. Gives adequate effort as run blocker. However, can improve angles to defenders and be more consistent sustaining blocks.

I think if people watch this guy play, note his outstanding production, outstanding character, leadership ability, overall toughness and they still don't want him, they are nuts. Brandin Cooks may fail in the NFL, but it sure won't be for lack of talent or lack of effort. As a prospect I think he's definitely a better receiver than Tavon Austin was last year. Austin might be faster and more athletic, but not as talented of a route runner or receiver.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM ]

If he is around at 20-24 then it would be worth the move IMO to snag him if he is on the 49ers radar. IMO he wont be there at our current pick.

I think the jets or the eagles want him. I am just skeptical about him because of the hype that Tavon had last year and how much i fell in love with him and he just disappointed. I dont wanna get hurt again lol.
Share 49ersWebzone