LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Jason Verrett-CB-TCU

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Not a 1st round prospect imo maybe 2nd with his surgery day set at the end of the month he will miss OTAs and other workouts thats going to hurt his stock a bit and is a slot CB which NOT much value as the other CBs

Ridiculous justification. If Alterraun Verner, a similar type of player can be one of the best cornerback's in the NFL at less than an inch taller than Verrett, and at a lighter weight, with less strength, there's absolutely no reason that Verrett can't play on the outside in the NFL either. Verrett is a playmaker period, a ballhawk and a very tough man to man cornerback.

Verner plays in a Cover 2 scheme NOT a good comparison. I like Verrett but NOT as a 1st round pick especially if he is missing significant time most likely a day 2 pick
Verner plays in a Cover 2 scheme NOT a good comparison. I like Verrett but NOT as a 1st round pick especially if he is missing significant time most likely a day 2 pick

Still see him as the 3rd best cornerback in the draft, his injury is nothing major, Dee Milliner and Dion Jordan had the exact same injury last year, did it hurt their draft position?

Still see him as the 3rd best cornerback in the draft, his injury is nothing major, Dee Milliner and Dion Jordan had the exact same injury last year, did it hurt their draft position?

I just feel we need an impact player with our 1st pick on the offense like Odell Beckham or Brandin Cooks imo our defense is real good we lack offensive weapons is all.
I just feel we need an impact player with our 1st pick on the offense like Odell Beckham or Brandin Cooks imo our defense is real good we lack offensive weapons is all.

They don't need to draft a guy in the 1st round to be the #3 WR at best. If Brown walks and Rogers gets cut, they have a real need at cornerback, defense is their bread and butter, this is not the Green Bay Packers where they are going to have a lights out passing offense and 4 or 5 WR's deep. With Crabtree, Boldin and Patton, the need for a receiver in the 1st round is greatly diminished, especially when you can get a guy like Moncrief later on, or Ellington, Herron, Bryant...etc.

They don't need to draft a guy in the 1st round to be the #3 WR at best. If Brown walks and Rogers gets cut, they have a real need at cornerback, defense is their bread and butter, this is not the Green Bay Packers where they are going to have a lights out passing offense and 4 or 5 WR's deep. With Crabtree, Boldin and Patton, the need for a receiver in the 1st round is greatly diminished, especially when you can get a guy like Moncrief later on, or Ellington, Herron, Bryant...etc.

Not just a WR but an electric Returner as well, LaMichael James is NOT much value with Lattimore at RB imo but hey we still have free agency before the draft so alot of our suggestions will likely change. Love this time of season too much speculation
Not just a WR but an electric Returner as well, LaMichael James is NOT much value with Lattimore at RB imo but hey we still have free agency before the draft so alot of our suggestions will likely change. Love this time of season too much speculation

James gets way too much crap, had he played a full season as a returner he would have been one of the very best in the NFL. Denver just let their "electric returner" walk because he couldn't hold on to the ball to save his life. I think James is fine contributing as a kick returner, punt returner and change of pace back.

James gets way too much crap, had he played a full season as a returner he would have been one of the very best in the NFL. Denver just let their "electric returner" walk because he couldn't hold on to the ball to save his life. I think James is fine contributing as a kick returner, punt returner and change of pace back.

Not necessarily James fault 49ers are just stacked at RB is tough to find playing time for him and now harder with Lattimore in the mix
  • evil
  • Veteran

Disagree. TCU plays a whole lot of zone coverages (cover 2, cover 3, cover 5) and mixes in some man within that 4-2-5 scheme. The Titans play mostly cover 2 in base formations, but Jerry Gray relies heavily on sub packages most notably his RUBY package (3-2-6 alignment) which asks Verner to play on an island. Verrett also compares a little to Brent Grimes who was once upon a time playing mostly zone coverages under Mike Smith and BVG. Under Nolan and then in Miami under Coyle he played a lot more press man (though they still mixed in a fair amount of zone) and still played at the same high level.

On another note, anyone knocking JV's size (5'94 189 lbs) should look no further than Tramaine Brock who reportedly measured in at 5'96 195 at his pro day. Verrett's play at TCU was that of an impact player in that defensive backfield and he can compete for the starting slot corner in TC (which he should be ready for), and begin to push Brock and Cully for their spots outside as he develops.
  • pfizz
verrett would excel in our scheme because fangio utilizes our guys to their strengths. this guy has every tangible trait you look for in cornerback except for size. would be thrilled if we grabbed him in the first.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM ]
Too small. We need a Legion of Boom secondary.

Beyond being a great young corner and looking really good in the drills, Verrett tested through the roof at the combine:

40 times among CBs:
- tied for 2nd (4.38)

Vertical jump
- Tied for 3rd (39")

Broad Jump
- Tied for 3rd (10'8")

3-cone drill
- 3rd place (6.69)

Short shuttle
- Tied for 1st (4.00)

So basically he's quick enough to cover the slot and has enough long speed to play outside. And though a little more than an inch shorter than Darqueze Dennard, Verrett actually has slightly longer arms then he does. In other words, one more inch in height and we're talking about an elite CB prospect and a likely mid-to-high first round talent.
I'm worried Baalke doesn't get this guy because of his height or length of his arms. We all know Baalke has a thing for long arms. I picture Verrett being a similar player to Brock he will be aggressive and good in coverage and get a lot of picks. I love the idea of Verrett and Brock being so young being able to grow in this Defense. Along with Culliver. It will be a shame if that doesn't happen cause of his height.
Originally posted by Raul98:
I'm worried Baalke doesn't get this guy because of his height or length of his arms. We all know Baalke has a thing for long arms. I picture Verrett being a similar player to Brock he will be aggressive and good in coverage and get a lot of picks. I love the idea of Verrett and Brock being so young being able to grow in this Defense. Along with Culliver. It will be a shame if that doesn't happen cause of his height.

That's what I'm worried about as well. I'm hoping Baalke doesn't go overboard and takes a lesser CB because of superior arm length and/or height. Verrett would be the ideal nickel/slot CB in our scheme. He has exceptional speed and athleticism that matches up well with the Tavon Austin's and Percy Harvin's in our division. As far as his man to man coverage skills - he's among the top tier in this CB class to go along with having excellent ball skills (dudes a ballhawk -- I want another one of those in this secondary) and solid tackling ability. He may be small but he's a fierce competitor and his strength shouldn't be questioned - 19 reps with a torn labrum.

Justin Gilbert and Darqueeze Dennard won't get past pick 15 but I'm optimistic Verrett should be around - we'll probably have to trade up a bit to get him but he's worth it. Just hope Baalke thinks so too.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Disagree. TCU plays a whole lot of zone coverages (cover 2, cover 3, cover 5) and mixes in some man within that 4-2-5 scheme. The Titans play mostly cover 2 in base formations, but Jerry Gray relies heavily on sub packages most notably his RUBY package (3-2-6 alignment) which asks Verner to play on an island. Verrett also compares a little to Brent Grimes who was once upon a time playing mostly zone coverages under Mike Smith and BVG. Under Nolan and then in Miami under Coyle he played a lot more press man (though they still mixed in a fair amount of zone) and still played at the same high level.

On another note, anyone knocking JV's size (5'94 189 lbs) should look no further than Tramaine Brock who reportedly measured in at 5'96 195 at his pro day. Verrett's play at TCU was that of an impact player in that defensive backfield and he can compete for the starting slot corner in TC (which he should be ready for), and begin to push Brock and Cully for their spots outside as he develops.
The vital difference is that Tramaine was undrafted. When Baalke drafts a CB, the 6'1 Culliver has been the model.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The vital difference is that Tramaine was undrafted. When Baalke drafts a CB, the 6'1 Culliver has been the model.

I respectfully disagree in that I don't believe that he's drafted enough cornerbacks to have a model, or at least for anyone to be able to fully describe it.

He's drafted Culliver, he's drafted Cooper, he drafted a smaller safety/CB in Trent Robinson. He also drafted Phillip Adams and Curtis Holcomb, both who are 5'10"....and that is it.
Share 49ersWebzone