LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 162 users in the forums

Jason Verrett-CB-TCU

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
My apologies. I meant to write that you neglected to note that Cooper is 6'1. Yes, he was another late pick. So, two 6' plus CBs, one of them in the 3rd round; three other CBs picked in the 7th round, one of them 6'1. Culliver was hurt last year, but both the Adams and Holcomb had season-ending injuries in their first season (Holcomb's injury came prior to the season). Highest round CB: higher round for Baalke to select a CB has picked is almost three inches taller than 5'9 1/4 in a guy who will miss OTAs and minicamp.

Where are you getting this extra cornerback from?

Baalke has drafted Holcomb, Phillips, Culliver and Cooper...that is it. Two smaller 5'10" CB's, one 6'0" tall CB one 6'1" CB. Once again, hardly enough to data to make the determination that he'd pass up on a higher talent due to their size.
What about Verrett's lack of height against big NFL receivers?"It doesn't matter," Patterson said. "He does a great job of moving his feet. We played against some really good guys. One of the things he does is he really studies the opponent and does a great job. We put him for two years on whoever is best that they had. He's not going to shy away from anybody."Another positive trait of Verrett's is one that should really help him in the NFL: a short memory.

To survive at cornerback in the NFL players must be able to move on to the next play after getting beat.Verrett's perseverance was tested right away during his TCU career. In the Horned Frogs' 2011 season opener against Baylor, quarterback Robert Griffin torched TCU's defense for six touchdown passes. And the first three came against Verrett. After the game, Verrett briefly considered quitting football before Patterson and his family helped him realize he had a bright future."I always say it was like the Wizard of Oz; he was in his room and it was like the house came down on him. All you could see was his tennis shoes,"

Patterson said, "but those ruby slippers, now he's been a Walter Camp two-time All-America. He's made himself and he has his degree. Those are the fun things to watch. He's a guy who I won't be surprised by anything he does at the next level."

Verrett has come a long way since he was overlooked coming out of high school from Fairfield, Calif. Verrett headed to Santa Rosa (Calif.) Junior College as a slot receiver before quickly learning how to play cornerback. Patterson said Verrett allowed only one touchdown last season in one-on-one coverage – it came against Kansas State with the receiver beating him on a double-move – and shutdown many of the Big 12's top receivers.Verrett held Antwan Goodley, Baylor's leading receiver, to only one catch for 12 yards. Texas Tech's Eric Ward, who had 83 catches, didn't have one against Verrett. And LSU's Odell Beckham, who had more than 1,100 receiving yards for the Tigers, had only one catch lined up against Verrett. In 37 games for TCU, Verrett had 160 tackles (10 for loss), nine interceptions and 34 pass breakups."I feel like I'm the best corner in this draft," Verrett said. "I feel very confident that I should be a first-rounder."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/tcu-horned-frogs/20140307-take-note-cowboys-tcu-cornerback-jason-verrett-says-i-feel-like-im-the-best-corner-in-this-draft.ece
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
With all due respect the reason I stated he was NOT a 1st round pick because I believe his surgery will drop him to the 2nd round just like Jimmy Ward it was NOT about his stature and if you take the time to go back and review my conversation you will see that. Taking my statement out of context is NOT a proper way to prove you point since I like Verrett but NOT as in the 1st round.

There's little evidence that the surgery he's having has ever dropped anyone. He's not the first potential draft pick to end up having this surgery in the offseason. If we're talking about repairing a torn ACL or a guy that has a nagging foot injury, then sure, but a torn labrum that is relatively straightforward to repair isn't going to make a team think twice about him unless they are truly desperate. A team like the 49ers, Seattle, Denver, New Orleans.....I don't think they'd be concerned enough about the injury to pass up on him if they really liked him as a player. He'll be available for the start of training camp so its not like he's going to be set way back as a result.

If he is missing OTAs and mini camp its sure is a ? imo which he is going to miss time and a concern of mine to be a 1st round pick other than that I think he would be considered. March 14 pro day will change your mind imo
Another good point for drafting Verrett is we just lost Brown and Rodgers in the secondary. If it is Brock and Culliver on the outside Verrett would be perfect for the slot and would replace Rodgers in that role. A young secondary of Brock Culliver Verrett would be awesome and they would all grow together in the defense.
  • pfizz
IMO this guy will be the best cornerback of the entire draft when its all said and done. the only thing people hold against him is his height but he has EVERYTHING else.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM ]
Originally posted by pfizz:
IMO this guy will be the best cornerback of the entire draft when its all said and done. the only thing people hold against him is his height but he has EVERYTHING else.

wow that's some praise there...Beckham Jr did eat him up a times in that game
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
wow that's some praise there...Beckham Jr did eat him up a times in that game

huh ? I would say that battle went back and forth.

Originally posted by DeUh:
huh ? I would say that battle went back and forth.

I'd say it was better than just back and forth. Verrett definitely more than held his own. Beckham got most of his yardage against other guys.
I all in on either Verrett at 30 or Mathews on the other side of the ball. But Verrett would be a gem in our division going against the likes of Harvin, Ellington, and Austin. Two of those guys are their teams top weapons, being able to take them away in the future will be key.
Originally posted by 5280High:
I all in on either Verrett at 30 or Mathews on the other side of the ball. But Verrett would be a gem in our division going against the likes of Harvin, Ellington, and Austin. Two of those guys are their teams top weapons, being able to take them away in the future will be key.

I made this observation as well. Harvin and Austin are impact players. All it takes is a missed tackle or a misstep in coverage. They have the acceleration to really take advantage of a secondary even if they're in position. Verrett can cover these guys. He can play off and backpedal because he has the burst when he plants to come back to anything underneath. The off coverage makes it much easier for him to cover the intermediate and deep routes, but he could still play on the line. He doesn't need a cushion because he can flip his hips so smoothly that it's going to be very hard for any WR to catch him out of position. Ofcourse a larger wide receiver can box him out but he knows how to cut underneath the receiver and close the throwing lane off. Obviously the only issue I have with Verrett is press coverage; he cant do it but Fangio knows how to put players in the right position to succeed, and in this division a nickel like Verrett would be very valuable. I like Dennard though. I wouldn't mind him either. He's smart and fundamentally sound. He could turn those attributes into a shut down corner.

Originally posted by 5280High:

This. The people demanding big "Physical with an F" type cornerback's aren't looking at the division and the the ultra fast slot receivers that various teams have. You need someone super quick to defend Percy Harvin, Austin, Ellington, hell even a guy like Ted Ginn. I think Verrett fits the bill very well in that regard, would be looked at as a Top 10 pick if he were about 3 inches taller.
Yeah we are looking for a slot guy not an outside guy so we don't need a 6 foot 3 guy to cover the slot wrs who are mostly shorter and quicker. Like you guys said a smaller quicker guy is what we need to cover Harvin, Austin, Ginn, and the rest of the quicker slot guys of the league. I hope we trade up a little bit if need be and go Verrett (or fuller but hopefully verrett). Then trade up from 56 grab Matthews or Beckham. I guess we could wait until 56 for a CB and go WR in the 1st but I'd much rather go CB than WR. I don't like the 2nd round CB's nearly as much as Verrett.

Brock is with us 4 more years, Culliver will be extended this offseason for 4-5 years and getting Verrett for 4 years would make me happy and feel like baring injuries our 1-3 would be set for possibly 4 years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
lock-down slot corner in the nfl. but, he will get bullied some by big, stud athletes outside.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah we are looking for a slot guy not an outside guy so we don't need a 6 foot 3 guy to cover the slot wrs who are mostly shorter and quicker. Like you guys said a smaller quicker guy is what we need to cover Harvin, Austin, Ginn, and the rest of the quicker slot guys of the league. I hope we trade up a little bit if need be and go Verrett (or fuller but hopefully verrett). Then trade up from 56 grab Matthews or Beckham. I guess we could wait until 56 for a CB and go WR in the 1st but I'd much rather go CB than WR. I don't like the 2nd round CB's nearly as much as Verrett.

Brock is with us 4 more years, Culliver will be extended this offseason for 4-5 years and getting Verrett for 4 years would make me happy and feel like baring injuries our 1-3 would be set for possibly 4 years.

This.
If the FO takes Fuller and are high on Morris than i would throw in Qua Cox CB Jackson State as another nickel corner to develop. He is as competitive as they come and there were games this season where offenses tried to completely avoid him. Very fluid hips and good footwork, very good ball skills, sure tackler and can play off-man press-man and zone. I think his playing style is very similiar to Verretts. I see him taken in the 7th round or as a UDFA.
Originally posted by DeUh:
This.
If the FO takes Fuller and are high on Morris than i would throw in Qua Cox CB Jackson State as another nickel corner to develop. He is as competitive as they come and there were games this season where offenses tried to completely avoid him. Very fluid hips and good footwork, very good ball skills, sure tackler and can play off-man press-man and zone. I think his playing style is very similiar to Verretts. I see him taken in the 7th round or as a UDFA.

We very well could be high on Morris as the future at slot but right now we have no idea what to expect from him. Cook mentioned we told him to work on his press coverage. Where ever we play him I just hope we let him be physical, use press and not play off and/or zone where he struggles. I see Brock and Culliver as the 1/2, Wright vs say Verrett or Fuller for the #3, loser is #4... Cook backup RCB, Wright backup LCB (could do both sides though). Morris #6 but most likely active on game days due to ST. He has a chance though to move up and be the #3 in 2015 because Wright and Cook are only on 1 year deals. I'm wondering who is behind Wright as the next slot guy (morris or cook) although they would be the #3 if we draft Verrett/Fuller.
Share 49ersWebzone