LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Jarvis Landry-WR-LSU

• buck
  • Veteran
Today, March 2, out of simple curiosity, I decided to see how the talking heads were ranking Landry.
I only included sites that seem to have been updated since the combine.

Here is what I found.

CBS still lists Landry as their 9th best receiver and a 2nd round pick.

GBN lists Landry as the 9th best receiver and have ranked 70th on their big board.

Draftek ranks Landry 82nd on their big board and 12th among wide receivers.

Draft Insider has Landry as their 10th best wide receiver and a 2nd /3rd round pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/WR
http://www.gbnreport.com/2007wrs.html
http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html
http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2014.asp
http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-WRs-2014-Draft.asp
http://www.draftinsider.net/rankings/2014/WR
So again....anyone want to use our 1st pick on Landry?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:

Not me, but I never did.

But, if you trust the draft prognosticators it does look like he will be drafted.
He the closest prospect I've seen to Boldin. Landry catches everything, even in traffic. He has rare hands. Boldin and Crabtree aren't productive because they can run. They have exceptional hands.

His speed is a concern, but not a big one. It'll certainly keep him out of the 1st because of the priority placed on measurables, but he's outstanding value in the 2nd.
Originally posted by strickac:
He the closest prospect I've seen to Boldin. Landry catches everything, even in traffic. He has rare hands. Boldin and Crabtree aren't productive because they can run. They have exceptional hands.

His speed is a concern, but not a big one. It'll certainly keep him out of the 1st because of the priority placed on measurables, but he's outstanding value in the 2nd.

i agree with you but i also believe that crabs yac is one of the best parts of his game, always fighting for extra yards underrated in that category, id love to draft landry with a late second or early third if he fell 40 times dont mean everything
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Because many people compare Landry to Boldin and both play a similar brand of football here are their exact combine results.

Landry 5-11 205
10 yrds 1.65
40 yrds 4.77
Vertical 28.5"
Broad 9´2"

Boldin 6-1 216
10 yrds 1.61
40 yrds 4.72
Vertical 33.5"
Broad 9´6"

Boldin was draftet with #54 overall pick.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 2, 2014 at 8:01 AM ]
Landry is an excellent fit for the Niners style of receiver: ridiculously good hands, ferocious in traffic, and well versed in run blocking. His clutch factor on 3rd down is something that we could use with the Roman style offense usually fooling around on the first two downs. I wouldn't be too upset with Patton and Landy backing up Boldin and Crabs.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by random49er:

Not me, but I never did.

But, if you trust the draft prognosticators it does look like he will be drafted.

The niners pick is so late that it may as well be considered a second rounder. I agree with Buck that he would be interesting in the second, not the first, because there will be more sure bets at #30--DBs and WR.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Because many people compare Landry to Boldin and both play a similar brand of football here are their exact combine results.

Landry 5-11 205
10 yrds 1.65
40 yrds 4.77
Vertical 28.5"
Broad 9´2"

Boldin 6-1 216
10 yrds 1.61
40 yrds 4.72
Vertical 33.5"
Broad 9´6"

Boldin was draftet with #54 overall pick.

Good stuff. What scares me is that 28.5" vertical. Was that before or after the hamstring injury at the combine?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Justin Gilbert
Jarvis Landry
Odell Beckham

Give me those 3 playmakers and this draft would be a success. Use our 3rd rounders to move up!

Ninerjohn. I'm on board with this! Good call!

Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Good stuff. What scares me is that 28.5" vertical. Was that before or after the hamstring injury at the combine?

I think he came in with some sort of injury issue, figured he could fight through it and it didn't turn out well for him. I think he'll have a better showing at his Pro Day hopefully. That's the only way I reconcile some of the explosiveness I see in his game performances vs the total lack of it at the Combine.
Production and video trump combine stats and very few scouts will be influenced by the 40 time unless they didn't do their homework.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Spot on.

and to the other poster, you do know people look at more than just 40 times.

This is true, but he also had a terrible 10 yard time, an atrocious & vertical. A guy has to prove that he's an NFL-caliber athlete to be a good prospect & not just a great college receiver. A lot of WRs who weren't NFL-caliber athletes beat up on college DBs.

Would be interesting to compare how fast the DBs he beat in college were to his potential competion in the NFL. I'm sure some were very fast in the 40 and/or the 10 yard split.

Exactly, the tape don't lie.

And you don't see people criticizing 10 yard splits or praising them either. I'm just gonna come to the conclusion that you haven't watched Jarvis Landry before, cause like I said before the tape don't lie.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Exactly, the tape don't lie.

And you don't see people criticizing 10 yard splits or praising them either. I'm just gonna come to the conclusion that you haven't watched Jarvis Landry before, cause like I said before the tape don't lie.

I watched a ton of LSU over the last few years. You're ignoring obvious red flags.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I watched a ton of LSU over the last few years. You're ignoring obvious red flags.

Would be nice if you listed them. I'm always willing to learn.
Share 49ersWebzone