LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Jarvis Landry-WR-LSU

Originally posted by DeUh:
Your straw man indictment is weak, and you simply don't know what you're doing if you think combine numbers don't matter at all.

See thats exactly what I mean. Another one of your facts. Part of your rhetoric is to put words in peoples mouth to prove your nonsense. Thats pro trolling style.

Nevers said in a single statement that combine numbers dont matter at all.

Ok I'll rephrase. You said: "You are one of those persons that pick the prospects with the best combine numbers and then think you actually know something about football when you obviously have no idea how to rate a player when you watch their tape." This is 100% bull s**t. I was evaluating wide receivers like 2 days after the Niners lost to the Ravens; long before the NFL combine.

If a receiver can't prove he's capable of running faster than a 4.77 then he hasn't proven he can play in the NFL. Period. He'll have to destroy that time at his pro' day to show otherwise.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Pbm? Keep it on subject please.

This.
In Walter's Football draft prospects, he listed Landy's probable 40 time as 4.53. That he ran a 4.77 is a huge disappointment...@ 20 guys arguably just passed him up on team draft charts. He could partially redeem himself with a pro day re-run...but he'll be in catch-up mode, usually not a good thing.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
In Walter's Football draft prospects, he listed Landy's probable 40 time as 4.53. That he ran a 4.77 is a huge disappointment...@ 20 guys arguably just passed him up on team draft charts. He could partially redeem himself with a pro day re-run...but he'll be in catch-up mode, usually not a good thing.

From the tapes i would say he is a 4.6 guy. So 4.77 definitely was a bit surprising. We will see what he does at his pro day.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Your straw man indictment is weak, and you simply don't know what you're doing if you think combine numbers don't matter at all.

See thats exactly what I mean. Another one of your facts. Part of your rhetoric is to put words in peoples mouth to prove your nonsense. Thats pro trolling style.

Nevers said in a single statement that combine numbers dont matter at all.

He feeds off of attention. Don't feed him.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He feeds off of attention. Don't feed him.

You're quite rude and petty.
  • buck
  • Veteran
LSU WR Jarvis Landry posted an official 4.77 forty time at the NFL Combine before dropping out with a calf injury.

It was the worst forty time amongst receivers, and he also logged the second-worst vertical jump (28.5") amongst prospects at his position. Landry's unofficial forty time of 4.65 seconds wasn't much better. Landry (5-foot-11 1/2, 205 pounds, 10 1/4 inch hands and 31 and 3/4 inch arms) showed horribly today, but he wasn't expected to test well.

He's an extremely sturdy prospect with sticky hands. We expect him to play in the pros for a long time, regardless of where he ends up going in the draft process. Landry consistently wins at the catch point in contested situations.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/30027/landry-forced-out-of-combine-with-calf-injury
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I watched a ton of LSU this year. I wasn't overly impressed with Landry to begin with as an NFL prospect. Especially since I WAS impressed with Odell Beckham as a prospect; the 2nd best WR in an offense sometimes gets significantly less attention than the other guy. But him running a 4.77 / 1.65 sealed the deal for me. That's turtle-slow. You can't get away with that in the NFL. He's slower than any WR who's played in the NFL in the last decade.

I think Trent Murphy (6'5 250 pounds) just ran a 4.75 by the way. Christian Jones just ran a 4.6 (240 pounds).

Anquan Boldin and Vincent Brown were 2nd and 3rd round choices respectively and both had similar times.

Boldin - 4.72/1.61
Brown - 4.68/1.65

Boldin and his turtle speed have been fine in the NFL and Brown is still developing with only 2 years of playing time under his belt (he lost a year due to the broken ankle).

I don't have a dog in this fight but the whole draft and scouting concept is playing the percentages. Does a player reach the tried and tested bench marks for his position? It's the reason Russell Wilson lasted till the third when most people though that if he was 6'4" he'd be a top ten pick. But next to no GM is going to gamble with a early round pick on a 5'10" QB when the bench marks and percentages say otherwise. You named 1 good WR that slow and there's probably more? But not very good percentages. No GM is going to use a second round pick on an average sized WR with below average speed. Imo
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Seriously, people are crazy if they pass on Landry due to a weak 4.77 40 time. Landry is a straight baller with on-field speed screw track speed.

Vernon Davis doesn't exactly play like he runs a 4.38 does he, Richard Sherman's 4.65 speed has absolutely no problem hanging with Vernon Davis.

40 times are cool, but they're exactly that....a 40 time, that crap doesn't translate to football, I got another person you should ask in Derrius Heyward-Bey how his 40 time is helping him in the NFL.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Seriously, people are crazy if they pass on Landry due to a weak 4.77 40 time. Landry is a straight baller with on-field speed screw track speed.

Vernon Davis doesn't exactly play like he runs a 4.38 does he, Richard Sherman's 4.65 speed has absolutely no problem hanging with Vernon Davis.

40 times are cool, but they're exactly that....a 40 time, that crap doesn't translate to football, I got another person you should ask in Derrius Heyward-Bey how his 40 time is helping him in the NFL.

I guess GM's have been timing them every year since Paul Brown just for fun. It's obliviously not the cut and dry factor for NFL success but generally fast players are better than slow players. And Vernon does blow past Sherman when there's not a handful of jersey being grabbed.

• WWFGD
  • Veteran

DING DING DING!!!!! Post of the day!
Watching him he's a lot like some of these receivers Seattle has. Not the fastest, flashiest guy but Landry runs good routes and has hands of velcro. And he has special teams value, I remember him blowing some guy up against Auburn.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Landry will improve on his time at his pro day.

What was jerry rice's 40 time again?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KID9R:

I guess GM's have been timing them every year since Paul Brown just for fun. It's obliviously not the cut and dry factor for NFL success but generally fast players are better than slow players. And Vernon does blow past Sherman when there's not a handful of jersey being grabbed.

No-He-Does-Not!!!! Go and re-watch all 49ers vs Seahawk games since 201, Richard Sherman was right there with him in 2011 when Sherman made the INT, Sherman had the inside leverage.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

No-He-Does-Not!!!! Go and re-watch all 49ers vs Seahawk games since 201, Richard Sherman was right there with him in 2011 when Sherman made the INT, Sherman had the inside leverage.

That was obviously facetious, they are hardly ever maned up on each other. And Sherman's 40 is actually 4.56. But I'm still wondering why GMs (that get paid to do this) would even time player then if it has no relevance.
Share 49ersWebzone