LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Shayne Skov - LB Stanford

Originally posted by Liono:
I have a good feeling about this guy, he has something special. So he has slow numbers, but if you watch film of him, he doesn't give up the edge, he has great instincts and takes good angles. He looks just as fast as Gary Plummer, who was one of the best LBs we ever had.
It was a different game when Gary Plummer was playing.

But I do think Skov has a chance to make the PS if he stays healthy, especially with Bow being hurt. PWill, Wilhoite, Borland, Moody will make the 53 over him.
Hell of a player to be on the practice squad, wasn't skov rated on drafts scout as the 3rd best ILB in the draft behind Moseley and Borland?
Originally posted by colinkaepernicks23:
Hell of a player to be on the practice squad, wasn't skov rated on drafts scout as the 3rd best ILB in the draft behind Moseley and Borland?

Dont know about ranking but he wont land on the P.S. Somebody picks him to the 53
Too good of a talent I can understand that, it will be interesting with him and moody competing..
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

Dont know about ranking but he wont land on the P.S. Somebody picks him to the 53

Long way to go before we cut to the 53-man roster.

Hard to anticipate how rookies, and undrafted free agents in particular, adapt to the NFL.

The NFL game is much faster than college football and speed does not seem to an attribute of Skov.

I wish him luck. Always cheer for undrafted free agents. Well, almost always.
  • buck
  • Veteran

There were 7 or 8 inside linebackers drafted. He was not one of them.

Have to take the prospect rankings that we see with more than one grain of salt.
Let the chips fall where they may.. Tell you one thing this is going to be one hella of a fight, Borland, Willhoite,Moody,Skov.

Not so sure. No one wanted to spend even a 7th. Could be a dark horse, but......
Having watched a lot of Skov tape he's a lot faster than he was timed. I wonder if Moody's speed will be the difference on STs play to beat out Skov.
Originally posted by English:
Not so sure. No one wanted to spend even a 7th. Could be a dark horse, but......

Just on the basis of the 49ers having picked him up means he's a likely target to wind up on someone else's roster. Teams dig through the 49ers trash like a bunch of starved hobo's poring through the dumpster of a Chinese food restaurant.

Originally posted by English:

While I loved watching Skov at Stanford (had season tickets). His skill set is hard for the 49ers. He is more of the plugger ILB role, if asked to drop into any type of pass coverage his weaknesses will be exposed. This is the very reason he went undrafted, he is top ranked at playing the run or rushing the qb, but cannot cover or backpedal and turn his hips quickly (aka Michael Sam) one dimensional.

He might make it on ST, but I do not see him as an every down backer.
Skov has been dealing w/assorted injuries that haven't helped his cause WRT the combine or pro day workouts. So, his draft potential took a major hit. Borland was picked to battle Wilhoite for Bowman's spot. He's this era's Zach Thomas...always told he's too slow, too short, etc. yet had over 450 tackles in his Wisc career. He just makes plays. Skov's best shot is beating out Moody, but there's quite a speed differential there. He's a longshot, at best to make the roster.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
While I loved watching Skov at Stanford (had season tickets). His skill set is hard for the 49ers. He is more of the plugger ILB role, if asked to drop into any type of pass coverage his weaknesses will be exposed. This is the very reason he went undrafted, he is top ranked at playing the run or rushing the qb, but cannot cover or backpedal and turn his hips quickly (aka Michael Sam) one dimensional.

He might make it on ST, but I do not see him as an every down backer.
Your description does remind me a bit of Gary Plummer and Jack reynolds. With strong Cornerbacks in eric and ronnie, who can run support - he didn't have to chase a lot of plays from behind. Generally he filled very well in between the tackles. Everybody should know he and ronnie stopped big Pete johnson in the supwrbowl.
For the record, Plummer was way faster than Skov. I believe his 40 Time was 4.7ish.
[ Edited by 60sFan on May 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]
Skov should be faster than Skov too. Plummer is one of my favorite 49ers ever and I don't think Skov is that good, but Skov's 40 time was supposedly on a bad hamstring.
Share 49ersWebzone