LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Logan Thomas-QB-Virginia Tech

This is a guy I've been lukewarm about, dead-set against, completely hated the thought of seeing him on the 49ers and after watching a few recent games, I'm actually kind of interested in what the finished product might look like after a couple years of doing nothing but holding a clipboard. His size for a QB is certainly intriguing, he's 6'6" and north of 250. A massive, big bodied QB with a cannon for an arm. There's been talk of Thomas possibly being moved to TE in the NFL but I think with some good coaching and patience, he could end up being a solid NFL backup at worst.

If he were to be available in the late 5th round, possibly early to mid 6th, I'd be interested in seeing him on the 49ers, having some time to develop, not do anything but sit back and watch, learn. I think he's an ideal, buy low/sell high sort of candidate, the offense he played on had s**tty talent, he was forced to try and do too much and ended up with third and long far too often, making his job far more difficult than it had to be. If the 49ers were willing to be patient with him, he'd be an interesting prospect just for his athleticism and arm alone.

If nothing else, he could even be a guy to develop as a TE, much like a MarQueis Gray. Thomas was originally recruited as a TE and could be an interesting fit at that position with his size, running ability, understanding of offense and athleticism.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM ]
didn't realize u wrote he was recruited as a top TE..but I agree..there were whispers his sophomore year of him being a potential 1st round pick...so the talent is there..like u said jus a good team around him might be all he needs..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM ]
actually was interested in him, as well, but his play this past season was such a huge drop off.

i'm still bummed about missing out on Marqueis Grey...
He definitely is "plutonium-grade raw material", in the immortal words of JH. I would be intrigued by the possibility of handing his NFL tutelage over to JH "the QB Whisperer" and Geep Chryst to develop. I think he actually might go higher than 5/6 though, under the theory of "it only takes one team" and with his set of skills. He also has great intangibles from what I've read.

Not only was he recruited as a TE, he apparently was the #1 TE recruit in the entire country when he came out of HS. VT actually worked him out at TE originally before converting him, I believe.

I could see the Niners signing a more competent #2 this offseason (McCown, Flynn, Wallace, and some others are all FAs this year) and drafting Thomas to develop. Like Phoenix stated, this could be a great "flip", buy low/sell high opportunity if the Niners can get the most out of him.

Also, I could see him making the 53 as not only the 3rd QB but as the 4th/emergency TE. He is 6' 6", 267lbs (on some listings), and runs an estimated 4.67 40.
Originally posted by Spike1000:
He definitely is "plutonium-grade raw material", in the immortal words of JH. I would be intrigued by the possibility of handing his NFL tutelage over to JH "the QB Whisperer" and Geep Chryst to develop. I think he actually might go higher than 5/6 though, under the theory of "it only takes one team" and with his set of skills. He also has great intangibles from what I've read.

Not only was he recruited as a TE, he apparently was the #1 TE recruit in the entire country when he came out of HS. VT actually worked him out at TE originally before converting him, I believe.

I could see the Niners signing a more competent #2 this offseason (McCown, Flynn, Wallace, and some others are all FAs this year) and drafting Thomas to develop. Like Phoenix stated, this could be a great "flip", buy low/sell high opportunity if the Niners can get the most out of him.

Also, I could see him making the 53 as not only the 3rd QB but as the 4th/emergency TE. He is 6' 6", 267lbs (on some listings), and runs an estimated 4.67 40.

THIS
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
watch the guy in action; he's a mediocre te prospect. and he's a coach killer at qb. either he takes it upon himself to engage in mental mastery at qb, or he's a short-term member of the nfl.
I wouldnt mind him as a late round, 3rd string QB project, but not as someone the Niners would have to rely on any time soon.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i'll bet panthers draft him
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Draft and switch to TE......
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
actually was interested in him, as well, but his play this past season was such a huge drop off.

i'm still bummed about missing out on Marqueis Grey...

Stupid ass Browns smh. He would have had a chance to play for us this year too

Thomas has been training with QB Guru George Whitfield (aka Luck, Newton, Big Ben's QB coach) and Johnny Manziel. I go to UCSD, and they were all working out together in the gym. He's definetely serious about becoming better at QB
That dude got a small ass head on the top pic lol
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gmoney:
Thomas has been training with QB Guru George Whitfield (aka Luck, Newton, Big Ben's QB coach) and Johnny Manziel. I go to UCSD, and they were all working out together in the gym. He's definetely serious about becoming better at QB

some things you can't change much--like decision making and accuracy under duress. that being said, if he works his tail off from now until the end of his career, he has an ok shot at playing qb in the nfl because his physical shortcomings are so few.
Does he want to play TE? Some QB's refuse to switch.

As for QB don't want him. The 49ers are deep and low on roster spots. We will most likely only have 2 QB's on the roster and another on the practice squad. Our back up needs to be NFL ready. If some team kept him as a #3 QB and he panned out by the time he got good he would almost be a FA. Maybe a team like the Patriots set at QB but with an opening coming up for the starting position in 2-3 years but we are set at QB for some time. The best we could hope for would be to trade him for a higher pick than we spent to get him but it would also cost us that roster spot for 2-3 years.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Does he want to play TE? Some QB's refuse to switch.

As for QB don't want him. The 49ers are deep and low on roster spots. We will most likely only have 2 QB's on the roster and another on the practice squad. Our back up needs to be NFL ready. If some team kept him as a #3 QB and he panned out by the time he got good he would almost be a FA. Maybe a team like the Patriots set at QB but with an opening coming up for the starting position in 2-3 years but we are set at QB for some time. The best we could hope for would be to trade him for a higher pick than we spent to get him but it would also cost us that roster spot for 2-3 years.

No he doesn't he was recruited as a TE and switched to QB almost immediately by VT's coaches and as many have said he is training with George Whitfield and many other QBs this offseason to improve his level of play.

Also just my 2 cents but Thomas is in no way athletic enough to become a TE. He's far too heavy footed, sure he can get moving and scramble but he in no way has the footwork or coordination to play TE in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone