There are 283 users in the forums

Give Me Your Ideal 1st - 3rd Round Mini Mock

With no trades and with an eye toward positions strong in a round. If there is a run on QBs early in the first round there could be great opportunities to move up mid-round for a top WR or CB.

1st Round #32 WR Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt
2nd Round #56 CB Bradley Roby Ohio St.
2nd Round #64 WR Odell Beckham LSU
3rd Round #77 C Bryan Stork Florida St.
3rd Round ? SS Craig Loston LSU (Comp pick?)
3rd Round #96 DT Daniel McCullers Tennessee
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
1. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
- Physical corner that fits well in our scheme. He is solid in coverage and is the best tackling corner in the draft. Dennard really turned it on at the end of the season and played great against Stanford and Ohio State. Plug and play him from day one and he will be a solid pro in the NFL.

2. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
- Mack is an absolute stud off of the ball. He gets after the QB and plays physical. He would provide much needed pass rush. I would even entertain trading up to get him late in the 1st.

2. Odell Beckham WR LSU
- Provides speed and precise route running ability to compliment our WR group. He also is valuable in the return game.

3. David Yankey OL Stanford
- Power run game lineman who is a masher in the middle. Provides much needed depth behind the starters and can potentially start in the future if Iupati leaves in FA.

3. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
- Manningham and Baldwin are likely both gone after this year. Matthews is a great possession receiver who may drop due to lack of speed. He and Beckham would provide solid prospects to the passing game.

3. Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State
- Big physical runner that reminds me of Gore. With Dixon likely leaving in FA, Hyde will be a solid depth guy.

No way Mack falls to 2nd round, he is a top 15 pick. Yankey should be a 1st-2nd rd pick. Matthews also.

My thoughts exactly. I was going to post this same thing until I saw you had already posted it. Mack is gone by the 15th pick for sure. Mathews won't last long in the 2nd round if he even makes it to round 2 at all.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
1. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
- Physical corner that fits well in our scheme. He is solid in coverage and is the best tackling corner in the draft. Dennard really turned it on at the end of the season and played great against Stanford and Ohio State. Plug and play him from day one and he will be a solid pro in the NFL.

2. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
- Mack is an absolute stud off of the ball. He gets after the QB and plays physical. He would provide much needed pass rush. I would even entertain trading up to get him late in the 1st.

2. Odell Beckham WR LSU
- Provides speed and precise route running ability to compliment our WR group. He also is valuable in the return game.

3. David Yankey OL Stanford
- Power run game lineman who is a masher in the middle. Provides much needed depth behind the starters and can potentially start in the future if Iupati leaves in FA.

3. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
- Manningham and Baldwin are likely both gone after this year. Matthews is a great possession receiver who may drop due to lack of speed. He and Beckham would provide solid prospects to the passing game.

3. Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State
- Big physical runner that reminds me of Gore. With Dixon likely leaving in FA, Hyde will be a solid depth guy.

No way Mack falls to 2nd round, he is a top 15 pick. Yankey should be a 1st-2nd rd pick. Matthews also.

My thoughts exactly. I was going to post this same thing until I saw you had already posted it. Mack is gone by the 15th pick for sure. Mathews won't last long in the 2nd round if he even makes it to round 2 at all.
Originally posted by communist:
No way we give up THAT much for a raw WR this year, when the WR-class is deep as the universe. Not to mention that I don't regard Benjamin as a first-rounder because he is WAY too raw and the class is stil way too deep.

Wait, you want to give up both of our 2nd-rounders and one of our thirds for a VERY low first-rounder??? Not sure if serious.

All of this. For each one of those picks traded I see us potentially missing out on a good/great talent at receiver, corner, or safety. I say we stay put and depending on how the board falls, even possibly trade down to pick up more 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Another one for me...

Re-Sign: Wilhoite(2-3,Min), Osgood(1,Min), Wright OR Cox(1-2,Min), Dawson(1, 2.5mil), Boldin(1-2, 5-6mil per)
Let Go: Dixon, McCoy, Dobbs, Goodwin, Manningham, Brown, Whitner (unless 1-2, 3 per)

1. Gilbert/Verrett
2. Jarvis Landry
2. BPA at SS (Deone Bucannon, Calvin Pryor, etc)
3. BPA at C (Richburg/Stork/Larsen) or C/G Combo
3. Ricardo Allen
3. BPA at DE (Easley, D.Jones, Stinson, etc)
  • buck
  • Veteran
1. Jordan Matthews
2. Kelcy Quarles
2. Pierre Desir
3. Jimmie Ward
3. Jeff Janis
comp Marcus Martin

Still aways to go.
1st round..Devante Adams or Allen Robinson.. big fast great hands
2nd round..Lamarcus Joyner..perfect ballhawk nickel back..
2nd round..Ed Reynolds future replacement for whitner.. who I hope we resign
3rd round..Gabe Jackson.. future replacement for iupati..? Kilgore taking over for center
3rd round..Jalen Saunders or Martavis Bryant..obviously both different bc of height..saunders a playmaker who reminds me of a smaller eddie royal..Bryant just a redzone threat..who has all the measurables but so does a lot who don't pan out..
3rd round comp..Keith McGill or Stanley Jean-Baptiste..big fast physical corners who I can see as a starter in the future if culliver don't resign..

I know most have a d-linemen selected in the 1st 3 rounds but I think we have great starters and back ups as is..back ups are good and will fight for there spot..tank..tje..Williams will be back plus okoye dobbs dial..lots of competition..and the rest of the picks will be back up qb..dl..te..
I expand it to the 5th round (7th-rounders and our 6th-rounder are gone through a trade for a 4th-rounder to jump up from the 5th and 6th respectively...just an approximation).

1)CB Justin Gilbert
No-brainer

2a)OG David Yankey
Don't know s**t about o-liners but according to CBS, he is an effective pulling guard and can pass protect as well.

2b)WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Seattle will be our worst enemy in the next seasons. Their secondary is physical and therefore relatively slow. Thus, we need some speedsters though we need them anyway.

3a)SS Deone Bucannon
No-brainer

3b)FS/CB Tre Boston
I assume that Dahl will be gone. Additionally to that, Brock, Culliver and Rogers are signed for the next season, though the latter one will be almost certainly a cap casualty. We need a FS- and CB-backup badly.

3c)WR Jared Abbrederis
Stellar work ethic, shifty, comes from a run-heavy offense. Could be an effective slot and checkdown guy, a thing which could be useful against agressive teams like Seattle. Could also be another speedster or at least a speedster lite.

4a)QB Aaron Murray
don't think that he will last until our 4th but we are talking about IDEAL mock

4b)DE Dominique Easley
think that he could be available on the 3rd day because of his ugly injury history. Would be a nice project for RDE if Tank doesn't pan out.

5)WR Martavius Bryant
I think that he is very raw and he could fall deep due to this issue and the deep WR-class. Put him on the PS for a year or two.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM ]
Nobody thinks we should pick up a RB early? Should we bank on Gore, Lattimore, Hunter and James
Originally posted by communist:
1)CB Justin Gilbert
2a)OG David Yankey
2b)WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3a)SS Deone Bucannon
3b)FS/CB Tre Boston
3c)WR Jared Abbrederis
4a)QB Aaron Murray
4b)DE Dominique Easley
5)WR Martavius Bryant

Doubt most of those guys make it to those picks but if it fell like that I'd be ecstatic. That might be more of a dream draft than a realistic ideal draft. Won't blame you for dreaming though
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM ]

Originally posted by SJniner7:
Nobody thinks we should pick up a RB early? Should we bank on Gore, Lattimore, Hunter and James

Yes, no RB early.

No reason to doubt Hunter would do a nice job filling Frank Gore's shoes.

LaMichael James seems like he'd kill it if they'd ever run screens for him.

And now add on Marcus Lattimore who has now been recovering for over a year.
Just to keep this going I'm going to do a few more.
*All drafts assuming Brown and Goodwin are gone. Wilhoite, Osgood, Dawson, Cox or Wright are back.

Boldin Back, Whitner Gone:
1. Hasean Clinton-Dix/Justin Gilbert
2. Jarvis Landry/Odell Beckham
2. Bradley Roby/Marcus Roberson/Kyle Fuller or BPA at SS if Gilbert in 1st
3. Kelcy Quarles/Daquan Jones/Will Sutton or Easley (Get 1st 3 guys in better shape, let Tomsula work, great potential)
3. Weston Richburg

Boldin Gone, Whitner Back:
1. Jordan Matthews
2. Bradley Roby/Marcus Roberson/Kyle Fuller
2. Jarvis Landry/Jared Abbrederis/Brandin Cooks
3. Kelcy Quarles/Daquan Jones/Will Sutton or Easley (Get 1st 3 guys in better shape, let Tomsula work, great potential)
3. Weston Richburg

Boldin Back, Whitner Back:
1. Justin Gilbert/Jason Verrett
2. David Yankey or BPA at WR (Matthews/Beckham/Landry)
2. BPA at WR or C/G (whatever position not taken last round)
3. BPA at SS
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:13 PM ]
If Justin Gilbert or Marquis Lee are available at #30, I wouldn't hesitate to draft those guys. This is what I think will be available.

1 WR Kelvin Benjamin
2a S Deon Bucannon
2b Injured DT Dominique Easley
3a C Weston Richburg
3b CB Pierre Desir
3c WR Josh Huff
4 Injured CB Aaron Colvin
5 Injured QB Aaron Murray
6 LB Jeremiah George
7 a TE Gator Hoskins
7 b Injured OG Spencer Long
7 c Injured FB Trey Millard

FA QB signing: Athletic, Mobile QB's with at least 60% completion in college. Harbaugh type QB
Denarius McGhee: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=185973
Jordan Lynch: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=181386

5- 2014 Injured Redshirt players: QB, OG, FB, DE and CB

The 2013 Redshirts were the reason for not drafting an RB, OT, DE or DT.

OT: MARQUARDT

RB: MARCUS LATTIMORE

DE: LAWRENCE OKOYE

DE: TANK CARRIDINE

DT: QUINTON DIAL
I think at RB we should have Gore restructure and save us about 3-4 million. Possibly add on a year at a discount. I think he would do that for the good of the team and I don't think we would cut him if he refused. I expect Lattimore to climb the charts and be the #2 some time next season. Hunter could fall to 4 and James if we used him right should be the #3. I think Dixon signs elsewhere to become a #2 RB although he said he wants to be back so if he is willing to take a short amount of years and a low enough salary I'd think about re-signing him especially if they planned on trading James or Hunter. He's a good short yardage back, good team/locker room guy and decent ST player. I don't think we could keep 5 RB's plus 1 FB though. So maybe we don't even make him an offer even if he wants to come back. I just don't see any need to draft a RB, otherwise might as well keep Dixon if he comes back cheap but it's more of a numbers game than money. I think we can draft a RB next year as possibly Gore and Hunter will be free agents and James will have 1 year left. Could look like Lattimore, James, DP for 2015 but I would expect us to re-sign either Gore or Hunter for 2015. If both leave then we can look at a RB but until then not sure I see the need to.
1a) Odell Beckham Jr. WR
2a) Kyle Fuller CB
2b) Charles Sims RB
3a) Jimmie Ward S
3b) Jared Abrederis WR
3c) Telvin Smith LB
4a) Brandon Thomas G/C
5a) Cody Latimer WR
6a) Aaron Colvin CB
7a) Larry Webster DE
7b) Trey Millard FB
7c) Spencer Long G
7d) Connor Shaw QB

Some comments

- straight up mock with no trades.
- we need a competitive receiver that has speed is a deep threat and Beckham is that guy plus can return punts and kickoffs
- niners desperately need a RB that's versatile like Sims. Defenses know that when Gore is in the game he just gonna run inside and pass protect. Even when he's a receiver and open they don't throw it to him so defenses know exactly what to do to stop Gore. Same for Hunter he basically just used for outside runs. Lamichael James only for read option or trick plays. Charles sims an do everything epecially threaten the defense as a receiver. This will open up our entire offense.
Share 49ersWebzone