NT
C
OT
OG
DE
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Ian Williams was doing just fine until he was cut block by the Seahawks and Dorsey has been pretty good since he took over. A pure NT maybe a luxury, not a necessity in the Niners defense. I agree with the rest of the needs you laid out, with only one addition. Niners need another SAK player (FB/TE/H-Back) to add to our offense. It could also be a RB/WR hybrid like D'Anthony Thomas or Dri Archer to add some speed out of the backfield or the slot.

The thing that I find funny about those examples is that they are twigs compared to James -- Thomas is 5'9" 175 and Archer is 5'8" 175 --20 pounds lighter and same height, I would rather we commit James to a lot of pass catching and route running drills but were 1.5 seasons into his career so I doubt it happens. Their size is not exactly a trustworthy size for a combo player. Thomas is most desirable because he has the most experience as a pass catcher IMO and I think we could get him up near the mid 180s in weight but still.

I wish we could find a legit H-Back 6'0"+ and 210 or 220 with WR speed. Damn Walker for being so versatile lol.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I still want a NT capable of shutting down the inside run game. This will be a very important element when facing the tough inside runners like Marshawn Lynch. I think I'd rather sign a veteran tackle than draft one. I just want a proven player as opposed to a rookie that can back up Anthony Davis and Joe Staley. We definitely will need a corner or two, a WR with top level speed, another guard, and possibly another DE. I will admit that TJE has been a nice surprise.

Ian Williams was doing just fine until he was cut block by the Seahawks and Dorsey has been pretty good since he took over. A pure NT maybe a luxury, not a necessity in the Niners defense. I agree with the rest of the needs you laid out, with only one addition. Niners need another SAK player (FB/TE/H-Back) to add to our offense. It could also be a RB/WR hybrid like D'Anthony Thomas or Dri Archer to add some speed out of the backfield or the slot.
Plus Tomsula has said he prefers a Nose tackle that can move. That pretty much hints he doesn't want some massive NT that just clogs up space.
And I'm pretty sure that Dial is pegged as our pure NT of the future (if not Williams).

We're not going to spend an early pick on a tackle with Davis and Staley locked up for four more years, and I'm sure they're going to give Kilgore a chance at Center the way they gave Boone a chance at Guard. So the needs are pretty much WR, SS, and CB. I'd be happy to see us draft 2-3 WRs, including one early. We know they're going to draft a QB and an O-linemen at some point, and we know they like having a lot of depth at D-Line, but those will likely come mid-round or later.
We do NOT need another RB period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trade to get Delanie back. No? Ok..
Sammy Watkins
Surprised how many people have not mentioned qb.

We are one bad tackle away from starting Colt and having no backup qb.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Our starter hasn't looked too good lately either. Looking improved against the Redskins doesn't count.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
QB - backup
RB - unless we can keep the same crew plus add Lattimore
DL - need more pass rush

We don't need WR - Boldin is a stud, Crabs is a stud, Manningham is also a stud...

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I still want a NT capable of shutting down the inside run game. This will be a very important element when facing the tough inside runners like Marshawn Lynch. I think I'd rather sign a veteran tackle than draft one. I just want a proven player as opposed to a rookie that can back up Anthony Davis and Joe Staley. We definitely will need a corner or two, a WR with top level speed, another guard, and possibly another DE. I will admit that TJE has been a nice surprise.

Ian Wlliams was doing fine, but I meant a NT that can all but eliminate any inside running. It isn't likely that we will draft such a player, but one can only dream. As much as I like D'Anthony, we are not drafting him. I see us going after a Delanie Walker type.if player (more so to push Celek rather than Vance McDonald). I forgot to add QB. We will be looking ata QB. I really wish we wouldve had more blowouts so we could see Colt play with the starters.
Dorsey also has played better than I thought he would. I dont think those upfront guys get enough credit for keeping the OL off Bowman and Willis.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

lol go into any other thread and it is all about Aaron Murray. Even after his injury most people on here still want to draft him.
In the top 3 rounds I'd like to see a dominate WR, CB, DT and a QB to push Kaep!
Ian Williams was doing just fine until he was cut block by the Seahawks and Dorsey has been pretty good since he took over. A pure NT maybe a luxury, not a necessity in the Niners defense.

I completely agree with this.

Overall, we don't need to fill many urgent spots.

I'd go with a WR in the first 2 rds... even if we manage to retain Boldin for another year or two.

I'd also look to select a CB in the first 2 rds... Brown looks to be gone.. Brock extension helps... Rogers won't remain at his contract. We still need to add young quality at CB.

QB in the 3rd rd seems wise to me. We will have nothing behind Kaep, and need some talent there.
Might need a top-shelf SS, if Whitner leaves. We could burn a high pick on this, if the stars align.

Would be wise to spend a 3rd/4th rd pick on a swing OT.
Probably wise to spend a 3rd-5th on an OG also... in case we choose not to re-up Iupati.

Might need a DE to develop behind RayMac, unless they really like someone on the roster. Not a urgent need for the early rds.
About time to draft that baby kicker?

Ideal draft if value is there...

WR
CB
SS
QB
OT
OG
DE
K
Share 49ersWebzone