LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

2nd player declares early for the 2014 draft, South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9937254/south-carolina-gamecocks-dt-kelcy-quarles-enter-nfl-draft-father-says
  • buck
  • Veteran
Injured lineman Dominique Easley leaves UF; focuses on NFL draft

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2013/11/06/injured-lineman-dominque-easley-leaves-uf-focus-on-nfl-draft/#sthash.nDt0KvrP.dpuf

It looks like Clowney, Quarles, and Easley are entering the draft.
Do abny of yu guys think we'll invest in another injured player like we've done in the past since we have so many picks?

And if we do - who do you think it'll be?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Do abny of yu guys think we'll invest in another injured player like we've done in the past since we have so many picks?

And if we do - who do you think it'll be?

Easley from Florida. From what I've read he can play in either the 4-3 or 3-4 so he's someone that I can see us stashing away like we did with Tank.
I think we should draft another DE. It would just be smart considering Ray and Cowboys age. The question is at what position? Are we trying to get good value or do we want a developmental player at the end of the draft? I would keep an open mind and see how we can get the most value out of 2-3rd rounder.
What round is Easley going to fall to? He looks like the perfect player to stash and heal much like Lattimore. Late 2nd or 3rd would be great!
I have a hard time trying to pin point where to put guys who are injured on my big board and positional rankings. I have Easley 60th overall. So 2nd-3rd round.

McShay has him 18th overall.

How do you guys, who do rankings, rank injured players? I took Chuckie Keaton of my list, as I dont see him declaring. I also took Lyerla off due to off the field issues, and him dropping out of Oregon
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by irishluder:
What round is Easley going to fall to? He looks like the perfect player to stash and heal much like Lattimore. Late 2nd or 3rd would be great!

top 60 pick at the last, even if this is one of many ACL injuries, he's far too talented and he was hurt early enough that he'll be able to show scouts something in a private workout.

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9937254/south-carolina-gamecocks-dt-kelcy-quarles-enter-nfl-draft-father-says

Guy is tearing it up with Clowney getting doubled and playing subpar. Never heard of him until this very thread so I'm sure he'll be happy with a mid to late day 2 selection.

Dumb question here but when did useing high draft picks on injury prone players become tha in thing to do ????
Originally posted by eonblue:
I think we should draft another DE. It would just be smart considering Ray and Cowboys age. The question is at what position? Are we trying to get good value or do we want a developmental player at the end of the draft? I would keep an open mind and see how we can get the most value out of 2-3rd rounder.

I wouldn't consider Ray an older player. He will only be entering year 8 next season which is where Justin Smith was when he first signed with the 49ers in 2008. I do think it would be good just to have another rotational player who has the talent to eventually start. I have no idea when Cowboy will retire, but it's no guarantee that Tank is the guy to replace him. It would be good to have another talented DE in the mix for competition in 2015 or whenever Justin Smith decides to hang it up.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Dumb question here but when did useing high draft picks on injury prone players become tha in thing to do ????

Buffalo started it with Willis McGahee in 2003. It all depends on the quality of player, type of injury, and how patient the team can be in waiting for the guy to properly heal.

Easley is a beast. I figure he was a sure fire top 20 pick before the injury. He will be a great player in the NFL. I would also keep an eye on another UF player, Ronald Powell. He was the original "freak" LB prospect but he hasn't lived up to the hype mainly because he has battled injuries his whole career. Would be worth a mid round pick if he can get healthy and get coached up.
Share 49ersWebzone