LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft v2.0

Basic mock, no trade's, just straight up going with the picks the 49ers have and based on what I perceive various needs to be across the team and who I think the team is likely to/or not to re-sign.

Round 1-Darqueze Dennard-5'11", 190-CB-Michigan State I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of his, I see him as a guy who has outstanding potential at the NFL level and would provide instant depth at CB and a potential rookie starter in case Brown does not get re-signed. Tremendously athletic, displays outstanding instincts and awareness in coverage, he's a flat out baller and has been a rock for a dominating MSU defense. Particularly good in press coverage, physical, teams often look to throw away from his general direction. Does not nearly get enough hype for his excellent level of performance. Needs to be a more consistent tackler, technique needs work but he seems to be more than eager to lay the big hit when he gets a chance. Has 3 INT's so far this season.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-6'2", 225-WR-Ole Miss. Moncrief has struggled at times this season, teams have been making it a point to lock him down, Ole Miss has had issues with their QB play but there's a lot to like about Moncrief, he's still very physically dominant, tough, built strong, ability to go up and make plays on passes as well use his body to get separation. I think he'll be a better NFL than college receiver, if he falls this far, he'd be a HUGE steal. Similar to Josh Gordon in many ways. Would be happy to see the 49ers trade up for him even.

Round 2-Tre Boston-6'1", 200-S/CB-North Carolina. Boston provides outstanding versatility on defense. He's played cornerback and safety and projects to safety at the next level He's terrific in coverage, has the size and athleticism to hang with bigger receivers as well as smaller, quick slot receivers. My ideal selection would be Craig Loston, but he'll be gone before this point, yet I think the 49ers still need another quality safety, whether or not Whitner returns, unless you enjoy the idea of Dahl as the backup once more.

Round 3(Titans Pick)-Daniel McCullers-6'7-350-NT-Tennessee. I don't know that Mt. McCullers will still be here, but more than ever I think this season has shown the value of a high quality NT. Its unknown what quantity Dial presents to this team, and both Williams and Dorsey are on short term contracts. Watching Green Bay controlling runs up the middle with their massive bodies further increases my desire for the 49ers to get a true NT, a massive monster in the middle that can require multiple blockers and collapse the pocket. McCullers has lost quite a bit of weight and it shows this season, he has held up fairly well and his massive size would be quite welcome to the 49ers defense. He's freaking tall for an NT and is able to bat down passes plus obscure passing lanes for those QB's who one might consider vertically challenged. A young group of Carradine, Dial and McCullers would be tremendous for the future of this defense.

Round 3-Robert Herron-5'9", 188-WR-Wyoming. The deep threat that the 49ers need. Simply a guy who can go deep and stretch out a defense that has to allow for his considerable speed. As far as his speed goes, he's basically got track star speed and it shows out on the football field as he has made some HUGE plays for Wyoming throughout the years. He especially lit up Texas last season, had a massive game that caught nationwide attention. He doesn't have outstanding lateral quickness, but pure speed that makes him a dangerous vertical threat, he can blow by pretty much anyone and win any foot race down the field. Beyond that he's got very good hands, catches with his hands, not his body, he needs to improve a lot as a route runner but in terms of a weapon to stretch a defense, he looks like a good one.

Round 3(Comp Pick)-Ricardo Allen-5'9",185-CB-Purdue. Another guy that I become a bigger and bigger fan of. Love this guy's attitude, he's a smaller defensive back but feisty, doesn't back down from a challenge, talks a lot of smack but is able to back it up usually. Projects to be a quality slot corner in the NFL, a guy who can handle the smaller, quicker, shiftier receivers. With the possibility of Brown, Rogers and Cox being gone next season, Allen would help to replenish the CB position, he could also contribute on special teams as well as a slot corner.

Round 4-Morgan Moses-6'6", 330-OT/OG-Virginia. Moses is a highly experienced starter, has played at both right and left tackle, could possibly do better moving inside at guard in the NFL, he would represent depth at both positions for the 49ers. Built very strong, broad body, violent hands, very good run blocker. Round 5-Jeff Matthews-6'3", 225-QB-Cornell. Has been drawing a lot of attention from NFL scouts, has good size and a prototypical NFL arm with a very quick release. Highly intelligent as might be expected from an Ivy League guy, film study addict, very confident, a natural leader, needs to improve his mechanics and footwork but a guy with a lot of potential who could end up being a very good backup QB/borderline starter in the NFL. California native.

Round 6-Corey "Philly" Brown-5'10", 185-WR-Ohio State-Pure speed, better athlete than receiver but has developed considerably. Could contribute on special teams while he develops as a WR. If he runs some ridiculous 40 time as expected at the Combine, it might push him up further than this, but based on his skill level, this is a good place for him. I see him kind of like a poor man's Ted Ginn, an explosive presence on special teams and a potential deep threat on offense.

Round 7-Dakota Dozier-6'3", 310-OG-Furman. Very dominant, hard-nosed smaller school guard, plays with a chip on his shoulder and simple another body to throw into the meat grinder and hopefully see this team develop a semblance of depth on the OL.

Round 7-Phillip Gaines-5'11", 190-CB-Rice. Smaller school defensive back, defensive leader, outstanding body of work with some injury issues. Ballhawking defensive back that does a great job of breaking up passes, good footwork, very fluid with decent athleticism.

Round 7-Daniel Sorensen-6'1", 210-S-BYU. Mature, very driven, hard-working guy with football running all throughout his family. His brother Brad is a rookie QB playing for the Chargers. Good size, physical, very intelligent, rarely out of place, the best piece on a quality secondary. Productive player is worth a look at a possible roster spot, even if just as a special teams contributor. This pick especially becomes important if Whitner bounces.

Round 7-Tevin Mims-6-3, 250-DE/OLB-South Florida. Athletic, quick off the snap, natural pass rusher who likely will have to move to OLB at the next level, a quality prospect to take a look at, possibly develop a 3rd down pass rusher and also provide a boost on special teams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM ]
I like it Phoenix. But of course, we will be trading, but no biggie.

Seriously though, I love Dennard, Moncrief, and Boston. I like Herron too. Iffy on McCullers, but if he is there than it's great value. Not sure we need another NT, I guess we could cut Williams, though I think he has a lot of potential. An Dorsey, Dial are staying put IMO. But we can use a 7th DL.

I figure we are set most likely, with Justin, Ray Mac, Dorsey, Ian, Dial, and Tank, will be tough to see how they all get time in the rotation in 2014 if all are healthy and such. Plus we usually activate 5 true DL, so it may be a stretch to have 6 active, since Brooks, and Aldon can play DE at times.

But overall, I do like the draft. Haven't seen the QB from Cornell play. So I have no opinion on him. But heard he is rising up and getting noticed.
I've started my surfing of mock drafts and a name that keeps coming up is McCullers for the Niners.
I love this draft. Not as much as the first one, but the thing that makes it stand out to me is the drafting of a NT. People can argue scheme and how lttle Fnagio uses nose tackles all they like, but it would be be great if we could eliminate the threat of a run, even against teams with top tier running backs. Dorsey and Williams would still be the primary nose tackles, but when we go against backs like Marshawn Lynch or any of the tough inside runners, it would be great to put Mount McCullers out there and pretty much force these guys to have to bounce outside. It also would give us a nice rotation of defensive lineman. We'd have Cowboy (maybe a year or two longer), McDonald, and Dorsey as the starters, Tank Carradine, Ian Williams, and Quinton Dial (backing up at DE and NT), and McCullers in on short yardage situations and also to use primarily against the power backs which we seem to struggle more against. Nose tackle isn't exactly a need, but if we can get our run defense to return to 2011 levels and if we can continue with our elite play at DB (which has been more impressive this season than it was in 2011), we'd have a defense for the ages.
Like the Dennard pick, almost put him as my first round pick as well. Also like the Tre Boston pick but don't know what you see in Craig Loston. Seems kind of stiff to me and not very good in pass coverage
Hoe do you think Heron 5'9" 188 WR will do against the big corners like Sherman and others?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Hoe do you think Heron 5'9" 188 WR will do against the big corners like Sherman and others?
He projects most as a slot receiver but his speed is a major asset against bigger corners, if he gets a step, hes gone. See what TY Hilton did to them.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Like the Dennard pick, almost put him as my first round pick as well. Also like the Tre Boston pick but don't know what you see in Craig Loston. Seems kind of stiff to me and not very good in pass coverage

Is Loston really any stiffer than any other SS this year? I mran you're making it sound like the SS this year are like the best coverage group ever. He's as good as any other SS to be honest. He facs tougher competition too. That LSU defense as whole is broken. Loston could very well be a product of the system.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He projects most as a slot receiver but his speed is a major asset against bigger corners, if he gets a step, hes gone. See what TY Hilton did to them.

This!!! Seattle's DBs can shutdown bigger receivers, it's SPEED that really burns them. Good example with Ty Hilton. Ty (5'9", 183 lbs) is almost a physical carbon copy of Heron (5'9" 188 lbs), and yet, he torched Seattle's secondary with his speed. You don't beat them with size per se, but more so with speed, quickness, and acceleration. It drives them crazy. IMO, speed is a must need to add to the receiving core next year.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
This!!! Seattle's DBs can shutdown bigger receivers, it's SPEED that really burns them. Good example with Ty Hilton. Ty (5'9", 183 lbs) is almost a physical carbon copy of Heron (5'9" 188 lbs), and yet, he torched Seattle's secondary with his speed. You don't beat them with size per se, but more so with speed, quickness, and acceleration. It drives them crazy. IMO, speed is a must need to add to the receiving core next year.

Exactly. Size just gives them a bigger target to hit, get their hands on, etc. You don't want you receivers out there fighting at the line of scrimmage with Seattle's corners.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Exactly. Size just gives them a bigger target to hit, get their hands on, etc. You don't want you receivers out there fighting at the line of scrimmage with Seattle's corners.

A shifty receiver can turn them inside out easier. Plus if you can get in and out of break quickly you have time to make the catch.
Originally posted by eonblue:
A shifty receiver can turn them inside out easier. Plus if you can get in and out of break quickly you have time to make the catch.

This, generally bigger defensive back=less fluid hips, not as shifty. A quick, shifty receiver is a bad matchup for them if they get past press coverage.
The team is getting so deep in spots that they draft guys with potentential, they can't make it on the roster and get plucked off before they can slipped through to the practice squad. I actually hope they trade to move up and stash some picks for the following years.
Originally posted by ninergold:
The team is getting so deep in spots that they draft guys with potentential, they can't make it on the roster and get plucked off before they can slipped through to the practice squad. I actually hope they trade to move up and stash some picks for the following years.

Not really when you consider who they might possibly be losing.

CB-Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers(if not restructured), Perrish Cox, Eric Wright, Tramaine Brock 5 spots up for grabs at CB. I'm assuming Brock and Wright get re-signed, but even then, 3 more spots remain.

WR-Manningham, Williams and Boldin are all free agents.

QB-Colt McCoy obviously isn't a long term solution, neither is McBLT

RB-Anthony Dixon is a free agent

S-Whitner is a free agent as well.

C-Jonathan Goodwin is a free agent

Plenty of room for draft picks, possibly more depending on how guys are re-signed. Yeah they might not have room for all their 7th rounds, but those guys are 7th rounders for a reason, not high probability picks.
I actually thought 2013 was the year to do more trading up. In 2014 we will have many wholes to fill, so i could see a good number of rookies making the team.
Share 49ersWebzone