LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 306 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

Due to the awful WR class this year, would not be surprised if he went top 10. I would certainly be willing to trade up a lot to get him though.

Manningham, KW, and Boldin all have expiring contracts and I'm not sure any of them will be back, especially Boldin at the high price for his age. So we could use another WR. I'd love to see a WR corps of: Crabtree-Watkins-Patton-Baldwin

We might be able to bring Manningham back at a discount, so that could help and would be a nice set of five WRs.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Due to the awful WR class this year, would not be surprised if he went top 10. I would certainly be willing to trade up a lot to get him though.

Manningham, KW, and Boldin all have expiring contracts and I'm not sure any of them will be back, especially Boldin at the high price for his age. So we could use another WR. I'd love to see a WR corps of: Crabtree-Watkins-Patton-Baldwin

We might be able to bring Manningham back at a discount, so that could help and would be a nice set of five WRs.
Not a chance, unless he somehow slips to the late 1st/2nd round.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Not a chance, unless he somehow slips to the late 1st/2nd round.

Yeah, Sammy is almost a certain lock to go in the top 15 and I can't see Baalke trading up that far for him. He's hands down my favorite WR in the draft and I really want him and still hope he can somehow be available but it doesn't look likely.

If we don't get him, I believe we should go for Odell Beckham Jr., his teammate Jarvis Landry, or Jordan Matthews. We need some speed, legit deep threats, and explosive playmakers if we want to compete with Seattle and other physical teams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6L5AZxE1s

From watching this video he didn't look to me that he was a good route runner, had outstanding hands (see the drop), and seemed to shy aware from contact a little in the run game. He clearly has some speed and athletic ability but from watching the video I didn't get why the previous posts were so high on him. What am I missing?
Originally posted by British9er:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6L5AZxE1s

From watching this video he didn't look to me that he was a good route runner, had outstanding hands (see the drop), and seemed to shy aware from contact a little in the run game. He clearly has some speed and athletic ability but from watching the video I didn't get why the previous posts were so high on him. What am I missing?

Because you literally just watched a 3 minute snapshot of 1 game............seriously?
Originally posted by kush:
Really talented guy, probably the most talented WR in the draft, but I'm not sure where to place him yet. He will go high, no doubt, but at the moment (still a ton of tape to watch on all prospects) I like a couple other guys more. Mike Evans and Marquise Lee are both better natural receivers IMO, even though they are probably not as physically gifted. Davante Adams is anther guy I may like more, purely as a receiver.

Lot of great receivers for Baalke to sift through in this draft.

I like lee more as well.
dupe
[ Edited by outside4949 on Oct 19, 2013 at 6:07 AM ]
To the person who commented about being less of a natural receiver than the other top prospects, I would very much disagree. Yes, he is a physical beast with legit size and Jacoby Ford-like explosion, but he runs nice routes, has soft hands that he catches with away from his body, and makes great adjustments to the ball.

This one TD against Georgia showcase many of his talents: He adjusts to a ball thrown behind him, snags it with his hands, turns and lowers his shoulder while running over a DB, then turns on the jets while beating several defenders who had the angle to the endzone.

https

I wish there was highlight reel that caught more of his plays from this season, as he has had a couple of beautiful fade/sideline passes where he has highpointed the ball and kept his feet inbounds.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Using high light video does not seem like a good way to scout a player.

Somebody needs to put up low lights for each of the players as well.

I am going to bet that scouts really do look at both the good and the bad.

Any injuries to be concerned about?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Any injuries to be concerned about?

No, a few minor injuries, that is thus far.

Here is ESPN's breakdown of Watkins from Scouting Inc.

Height-Weight-Speed 1

Prototypical blend of height, weight and top-end speed

Separation Skills 2

Not a complete route runner at this point and has to get stronger, but there's no denying his upside. Explosive and can accelerate away from man coverage when footwork is sound. Flashes the ability to change tempo and set up defensive backs. Locates and exploits pockets at the second and third level of zone looks. Flashes the ability to get away with subtle push offs. Not a great hand fighter at this point, though. Can get slowed down the line of scrimmage and muscled off course

Ball Skills 2

Attacks ball and snatches it out of the air. Tracks ball well and can make over-the-shoulder catches. Can high-point jump balls. Times jumps well and shows good body control. Suffers from occasional lapses in focus, leading to some drops. Can improve ability to absorb contact and hold onto the ball when defender times hit well.

Big play ability 1

Has the second gear to get behind coverage and run under deep ball. Has body control and frame to win 50-50 balls downfield. Catches ball in stride and can break away when gets a seam. Not an elusive open-field runner who breaks defenders' ankles, but does a good job of getting defenders to flip hips before smoothly redirecting, both as a vertical route runner and after the catch.

Competitiveness 2

Doesn't take eyes off the ball to locate defenders working the middle of the field. Lowers shoulder at the end of runs and flashes ability to pick up yards after contact. Willing to get in the way as a blocker. Appears to get frustrated when defenders get physical with him and try to muscle him out of his game. Ball security looks shaky at times.
With the way the Redskins season is going, I hope the Rams don't take this guy with Washington's pick.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
With the way the Redskins season is going, I hope the Rams don't take this guy with Washington's pick.

I'd hate for Sammy to play in the NFC West and it's not for our team ...
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'd hate for Sammy to play in the NFC West and it's not for our team ...

Arizona probably goes O-line, so yea, my only concern is with the Rams taking him.
Share 49ersWebzone