LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

The rams need a qb don't thing Bradford has it and injury prone
Houston - need QB
St. Louis (from Washington) - I think this is traded to someone like Oakland. Could you imagine Clowney in St Louis?
Jacksonville - need a QB
Cleveland - need a QB
Oakland - need a QB
Atlanta - need everything but a QB or WR
Tampa Bay - too many other needs on the lines for a WR here
Minnesota - could be a WR but they need a QB too
Buffalo - could add a weapon for Manuel
Detroit - need oline early and often

I think around #6 he starts looking pretty good, he is one of the best players in the draft.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Jan 4, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
Watkins' QB made some nice passes so you have to take that into account. Those sideline passes were very well placed for YAC. One Mock I saw on here, sorry I can't remember who to give credit, had the niners taking Boyd in the third. He's definitely worth that spot, if not higher. The interview after the game was impressive...articulate guys.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Houston - need QB
St. Louis (from Washington) - I think this is traded to someone like Oakland. Could you imagine Clowney in St Louis?
Jacksonville - need a QB
Cleveland - need a QB
Oakland - need a QB

I think around #6 he starts looking pretty good, he is one of the best players in the draft.

Remember though that those early teams could easily trade back into the middle/late first with their second rounder to get that needed qb.

So a game breaker wr is always on the table for the smart teams
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Houston - need QB
Jacksonville - need a QB
Cleveland - need a QB
Oakland - need a QB

Remember though that those early teams could easily trade back into the middle/late first with their second rounder to get that needed qb.

So a game breaker wr is always on the table for the smart teams

Watkins will go to Tampa. I think.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Watkins' QB made some nice passes so you have to take that into account. Those sideline passes were very well placed for YAC. One Mock I saw on here, sorry I can't remember who to give credit, had the niners taking Boyd in the third. He's definitely worth that spot, if not higher. The interview after the game was impressive...articulate guys.

I didn't think either of them came across as articulate, but particularly Watkins who was asked some questions which he ignored and answered with rehearsed statements. Boyd came across as thoughtful at least when talking about building momentum for next year. Watkins is not intelligent, but you don't need to be a brain surgeon to play WR and he can play. Watkins will be a good player for a long time, hut I don't think we'll be able to trade up for him after this performance.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I didn't think either of them came across as articulate, but particularly Watkins who was asked some questions which he ignored and answered with rehearsed statements. Boyd came across as thoughtful at least when talking about building momentum for next year. Watkins is not intelligent, but you don't need to be a brain surgeon to play WR and he can play. Watkins will be a good player for a long time, hut I don't think we'll be able to trade up for him after this performance.

Your expectations for articulate may differ from mine when it comes to college football players! LOL! Boyd was not smooth, but articulate...said what he wanted to say clearly. Watkins was much less comfortable but didn't mumble and stumble as most players do after a big game. RGIII was perhaps the most articulate player I have ever seen in the college ranks, so he sets my high bar...too many to select a player for the low bar! The fact that you judge Watkins to be unintelligent after hearing his interview somewhat diminishes your credibility.
We need to trade up and get this kid.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Yes. This years first and next years first for Watkins.

If that is ALL a team wanted, I'd do it. If we have a solid backup to Kaep we should be okay no matter what happens in 2014. We'd have a dynamic receiver and if he looks good enough as a rookie, we would be in position where we could afford to let Michael Crabtree.

We would have to give up this year's 1st, next year's 1st, at least a 2nd rounder this year and 2 more mid-round picks like Atlanta did in 2011 when they moved from #27 into the 6th spot to get Julio Jones.
I know it would take much more. That's why I said if this year's first and next year's first is ALL a tream wanted, we need to make that trade. It's a steal.
I'm never keen on trading four players for one, which is what you would be doing to get Watkins. As good as he is, I doubt Baalke will make such a trade. There are a number of very good WRs in the upcoming draft and the niners can take two...with the guys being gone when the 9ers pick more or less equal or slightly better. Watkins is the only franchise type WR in the draft...all the others have questions.

It's not that I'm opposed to getting Watkins, but I just doubt the likelihood.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM ]

receiving core is deep...so HOPEFULLY we don't mess this up again (jenkins)...it all depends on if we sign boldin and keep crabs, cause then we shouldn't go this far for a receiver and can just wait for one. If we don't sign boldin (craziness) and don't think crabs will get signed...we should be aggressive in drafting a receiver
as long as we draft someone with SPEED to scare defenses...randy moss is missed in this regard...
He's like a hybrid Percy Harvin/Torrey Smith. I like I like!
Originally posted by ronin1387:
as long as we draft someone with SPEED to scare defenses...randy moss is missed in this regard...

I agree. We sorely need to add a speed threat.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Your expectations for articulate may differ from mine when it comes to college football players! LOL! Boyd was not smooth, but articulate...said what he wanted to say clearly. Watkins was much less comfortable but didn't mumble and stumble as most players do after a big game. RGIII was perhaps the most articulate player I have ever seen in the college ranks, so he sets my high bar...too many to select a player for the low bar! The fact that you judge Watkins to be unintelligent after hearing his interview somewhat diminishes your credibility.

I judge a lot of players to be unintelligent after hearing them in interviews and most of the time I'm correct. We'll find out when the Wonderlic scores are released if it's leaked. RG3 came across as very rehearsed when I heard him in college which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't agree with you that he is the one setting the bar (and I wasn't surprised he had a low Wonderlic score for a QB). I judged Watkins as unintelligent because he either did not understand the questions he was being asked or he was afraid he would look bad if he answered in his own words rather than with a rehearsed script. If you paid attention to the interview, you would have noticed there was a complete disconnect at times between what Watkins was asked and what he answered. Whether or not he stuttered is irrelevant to me.
Share 49ersWebzone