There are 193 users in the forums

Odell Beckham Jr-WR-LSU

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Nicks240:
If we draft one more short receiver, I am done with this team. The whole freaking roster is filled with tiny receivers. We need a beast that can go up and get balls in the redzone. Maybe free up VD a little for christ sake.

Once again. Patton-6'0", Crabtree-6'1", Boldin-6'1", Baldwin-6'4". Tiny??

Hear it on the radio, parrot on the internet

Who needs truth and statistics when you are supported by group think?
Baldwin doesn't see the field, so he doesn't count. But yes. 6'1" is freaking tiny. If it was up to me, I would draft anyone under 6'4" And don't say a word about how Jerry Ricer was 6'2", there is always an exception to the rule but tall receivers are just better. Them tiny receiver would have been destroyed by Ronnie Lott if the NFL still had any balls. Tired of all these little guys popping up everywhere. Desean Jackson would have had like a 6 month career 10 years ago.
Baldwin doesn't see the field, so he doesn't count. But yes. 6'1" is freaking tiny. If it was up to me, I would draft anyone under 6'4" And don't say a word about how Jerry Ricer was 6'2", there is always an exception to the rule but tall receivers are just better. Them tiny receiver would have been destroyed by Ronnie Lott if the NFL still had any balls. Tired of all these little guys popping up everywhere. Desean Jackson would have had like a 6 month career 10 years ago.

6'1" is TINY????? I think I know all I need to know about your opinions and football knowledge. Some people get called on their nonsense and man up, then we all move on. Others get called, then dig deeper into a more nonsensical argument to resist ever being wrong (not knowing that everyone reading their statements has given up on them). Just for fun: how many dominant 6'4" and above WRs can you list, currently, and through history. Try the same with 6'2" and below. You're welcome.
If we draft one more short receiver, I am done with this team. The whole freaking roster is filled with tiny receivers. We need a beast that can go up and get balls in the redzone. Maybe free up VD a little for christ sake.

lol all it will take for you to be 'done with this team' is if we draft a short speedy receiver (that we need, to not make us one dimensional), sounds like a true fan..

but the point is that we need that small shifty receiver now because of how the nfl is evolving. Our rival has tall aggressive grabby DBs and the way you beat them is through speed, short area quickness, and not giving them a lot to hold on to. I know where you are coming from though, we do indeed need a redzone target but I think our bigger need is a burner. And yea Baldwin doesn't see the field so that gives indication that height isn't a determining factor that they will be good, what you need to look at is a player's jumpball skills
Goodbye. It's going to happen. Might as well not wait a week. Don't let the door hit ya....

Why doesn't he count? It shows that it always doesn't matter how tall you are(plenty of tall WRs that we're bust)..something else you can't teach is speed and that's what this team needs. And this isn't the same game as 10 yrs ago, these "tiny" WRs are a big part of the game now. Now I would like Evans and I think he will be a good player, but a WR like beckham or cooks would help this team...when your fastest player is the TE that's a problem.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM ]

Tiny? The average height of a WR in the league is around 6'1-6'2. Crabtree and Boldin are NOT tiny WRs, they're the average height at their position and among the more physical receivers in the league.

You wouldn't draft a WR under 6'4? Thank goodness it's not up to you because you sound eerily similar to Al Davis who'd draft any receiver that ran a sub 4.40 in the 40. Being big or fast doesn't make automatically make anyone a good WR. Outside Mike Evans, you won't find another 6'4 or taller WR in this draft that's a better prospect than OBJ and Cooks.

It's not height so much that we need more of but more so speed. I think an argument can be made that this receiving core is severely lacking speed and a verticle threat to take the top off defenses. Seattle has no problem shutting down bigger receivers, but they had their hands full dealing with 5'9 Ty Hilton (speed kills). Imagine if we got OBJ or Cooks, both better prospects coming out of college than Hilton was.

I think that's the missing element of this offense. If we're taking a WR in the first round, you're probably going to be in for disappointment dude. Lol.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on May 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

You wouldn't draft a WR under 6'4? Thank goodness it's not up to you because you sound eerily similar to Al Davis who'd draft any receiver that ran a sub 4.40 in the 40. Being big or fast doesn't make automatically make anyone a good WR. Outside Mike Evans, you won't find another 6'4 or taller WR in this draft that's a better prospect than OBJ and Cooks.

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Tiny? The average height of a WR in the league is around 6'1-6'2. Crabtree and Boldin are NOT tiny WRs, they're the average height at their position and among the more physical receivers in the league.

It's not height so much that we need more of but more so speed. I think an argument can be made that this receiving core is severely lacking speed and a verticle threat to take the top off defenses. Seattle has no problem shutting down bigger receivers, but they had their hands full dealing with 5'9 Ty Hilton (speed kills). Imagine if we got OBJ or Cooks, both better prospects coming out of college than Hilton was.

I think that's the missing element of this offense. If we're taking a WR in the first round, you're probably going to be in for disappointment dude. Lol.

I averaged starting WR's in the league (too much to factor backups and practice squad). Got 6'2 3/8". If that helps.
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on May 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM ]

So stupid...

Out of the top 20 career leaders in receiving yards in NFL history only 2 are 6'4 or taller - Randy Moss & Tony Gonzalez
The next Steve Smith
Originally posted by genus49:

So stupid...

Out of the top 20 career leaders in receiving yards in NFL history only 2 are 6'4 or taller - Randy Moss & Tony Gonzalez

In comparison, 10 of of the top 20 career leaders in receiving yards are "tiny" WRs (6'0 and under).

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXleadersXXrec_yds_career.htm
  • Phil
  • Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1go3MU9Cou4

Boo ya. Welcome our new WR!!!!
People, grow up. Personal comments in a discussion about the height of a wide receiver?

Really?

Anyone who wants to be suspended from the zone for the duration of the draft, carry on like this.
Share 49ersWebzone