LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Paul Richardson Jr-WR-Colorado

Originally posted by cools:
yep,

The ability of these potential draft picks to beat press coverage in the NFL is under valued, We learned that with Jenkins

If the CB always gets you off your route at the line, doesnt matter how fast you are

Guys like Matthews, Adams and Landry im paying attention to, from what ive read they excel at it

We must be fair and take a lot into consideration when evaluating these players. Press coverage does not mean an automatic win for a big player over a smaller-framed one. Players quick enough to one-step juke a press corner off the line will be able to beat any corner.

Richardson's declining to attempt the bench press leads me to believe he is greatly lacking in upper body strength. I actually like Richardson after watching his games. He can make the circus grabs and displays clearly great ability to get deep, but he will need to physically develop in a couple areas if he wants to be more than a package player or slot receiver.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Let's compare Richardson to Moncrief or Matthews...last two run just about as fast and have 30-40 lbs on him. Who makes more sense for the Niners...it's not even close.

If you only care about straight line speed and size, you're right. Quickness and the ability to gain separation is invaluable
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Let's compare Richardson to Moncrief or Matthews...last two run just about as fast and have 30-40 lbs on him. Who makes more sense for the Niners...it's not even close.

If you only care about straight line speed and size, you're right. Quickness and the ability to gain separation is invaluable

I like Richardson on tape but his quickness does not show up in the drills. Especially if you take into consideration that he weighs only 175.

Richardson 6´0" 175 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.23
3-Cone Drill 6.98

Cooks 5´10" 189 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.81
3-Cone Drill 6.76

Beckham 5´11" 198 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.94
3-Cone Drill 6.69

Matthews 6´3" 212 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 6.95

Moncrief 6´2" 221 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.30
3-Cone Drill 7.02

Bryant 6´4" 211 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.15
3-Cone Drill 7.18
If he is around with our comp pick in the 3rd maybe, but I just don't think he is strong enough to get separation and block at this point.
Originally posted by DeUh:

I like Richardson on tape but his quickness does not show up in the drills. Especially if you take into consideration that he weighs only 175.

Richardson 6�0" 175 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.23
3-Cone Drill 6.98

Cooks 5�10" 189 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.81
3-Cone Drill 6.76

Beckham 5�11" 198 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.94
3-Cone Drill 6.69

Matthews 6�3" 212 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 6.95

Moncrief 6�2" 221 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.30
3-Cone Drill 7.02

Bryant 6�4" 211 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.15
3-Cone Drill 7.18

Not sure what you mean. Any time under 7.00 is considered very good for any player. 6.8 and under is quite exceptional. Overall, these numbers I've found historically to be very meaningless in and of themselves. They are helpful to an extent, but I think they're more to see if the player is NFL-caliber athletic. If a player times VERY poorly, it will often tell you much more than if they time very well or at about average.

Examples of the bolded:

Randall Cobb: 4.34 shuttle, 7.08 three-cone
T.Y. Hilton: 4.34 shutte, 7.03 three-cone

Both are not big receivers.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Richardson 6�0" 175 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.23
3-Cone Drill 6.98

Cooks 5�10" 189 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.81
3-Cone Drill 6.76

Beckham 5�11" 198 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.94
3-Cone Drill 6.69

Matthews 6�3" 212 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 6.95

Moncrief 6�2" 221 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.30
3-Cone Drill 7.02

Bryant 6�4" 211 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.15
3-Cone Drill 7.18

Not sure what you mean. Any time under 7.00 is considered very good for any player. 6.8 and under is quite exceptional. Overall, these numbers I've found historically to be very meaningless in and of themselves. They are helpful to an extent, but I think they're more to see if the player is NFL-caliber athletic. If a player times VERY poorly, it will often tell you much more than if they time very well or at about average.

Examples of the bolded:

Randall Cobb: 4.34 shuttle, 7.08 three-cone
T.Y. Hilton: 4.34 shutte, 7.03 three-cone

Both are not big receivers.

This post was a respond to the discussion between CorvaNinerFan and strickac that Richardson is quicker than Matthews or Moncrief. Nothing more and nothing less. As I stated in my post I like Richardson.

As I read it again. I should have wrote "it does not show up in the drills that he is quicker than Matthews or Moncrief" instead of "his quickness does not show up in the drills" . Would have made it clearer what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM ]
This post was a respond to the discussion between CorvaNinerFan and strickac that Richardson is quicker than Matthews or Moncrief. Nothing more and nothing less. As I stated in my post I like Richardson.

As I read it again. I should have wrote "it does not show up in the drills that he is quicker than Matthews or Moncrief" instead of "his quickness does not show up in the drills" . Would have made it clearer what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gotcha.

Generally, I don't read too much into times. I agree with Baalke where you have to trust your eyes and your gut that what you see on the field is what you should get -- barring horrific timing. In those cases, I think you need to take a second look and see if you've been duped by one game or something like that.

Right now, Jarvis Landry is a guy some people are questioning. I don't believe at all that he's as unathletic as his workout indicated. I believe he reportedly pulled a hamstring and tried to gut it out. We'll see what happens at the LSU Pro Day or a private workout later.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Gotcha.

Generally, I don't read too much into times. I agree with Baalke where you have to trust your eyes and your gut that what you see on the field is what you should get -- barring horrific timing. In those cases, I think you need to take a second look and see if you've been duped by one game or something like that.

Right now, Jarvis Landry is a guy some people are questioning. I don't believe at all that he's as unathletic as his workout indicated. I believe he reportedly pulled a hamstring and tried to gut it out. We'll see what happens at the LSU Pro Day or a private workout later.

Man don´t even get me started on that Landry discussion
Personally I could not care less about his 40 time. What was a little alarming to me was his vertical. But since then I have rewatched everything I have on him and my take on this is that quite a few people will be eating their own words as soon as he hits the NFL. Some players just have it and Jarvis Landry is one of them. He will find a way to make plays and be productive at the next level !
is it me or does this guy remind you of a fast jerry rice and a perfect fit for a west coast offense.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
all you got to know is paul is aj green's 3rd rd little brother.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Man don´t even get me started on that Landry discussion
Personally I could not care less about his 40 time. What was a little alarming to me was his vertical. But since then I have rewatched everything I have on him and my take on this is that quite a few people will be eating their own words as soon as he hits the NFL. Some players just have it and Jarvis Landry is one of them. He will find a way to make plays and be productive at the next level !

we once had a player named freddie soloman. that's landry.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

Richardson 6´0" 175 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.23
3-Cone Drill 6.98

Cooks 5´10" 189 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.81
3-Cone Drill 6.76

Beckham 5´11" 198 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.94
3-Cone Drill 6.69

Matthews 6´3" 212 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 6.95

Moncrief 6´2" 221 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.30
3-Cone Drill 7.02

Bryant 6´4" 211 lbs
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.15
3-Cone Drill 7.18

none of those guys beat tebow's 3-cone time. they all suck
I love this guy. The deadliest vertical threat in the draft.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:res
I love this guy. The deadliest vertical threat in the draft.
he scares dbs
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
none of those guys beat tebow's 3-cone time. they all suck

Feel free to look at the posts above yours to see why those numbers were posted.
Share 49ersWebzone