LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V1.0

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Ron Johnson: good faith pick by Baalke after WR coach Morton vouched for him. Lost Doug Baldwin to Seattle cause of it
What? Were the 49ers strongly considering Baldwin or something? I've never heard that tidbit before.

Everyone knew about it after the draft. Harbaugh said publicly that it was between him and baldwin and they still tried to sign baldwin as UDFA but he went to seattle instead.

They literally only picked Ron Jon because Morton coached him at USC and it was decision meant to show that Harbaugh/Baalke would listen/trust their assistants.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Ron Johnson: good faith pick by Baalke after WR coach Morton vouched for him. Lost Doug Baldwin to Seattle cause of it
What? Were the 49ers strongly considering Baldwin or something? I've never heard that tidbit before.

Everyone knew about it after the draft. Harbaugh said publicly that it was between him and baldwin and they still tried to sign baldwin as UDFA but he went to seattle instead.

They literally only picked Ron Jon because Morton coached him at USC and it was decision meant to show that Harbaugh/Baalke would listen/trust their assistants.

I knew they tried to get Baldwin, but I never knew the whole story. Makes sense. I do think it was a good faith move by Harbaugh and Baalke. But if this story is true, then I am even more sold on the idea that we have the WRONG guy as our receiver coach. He can't pick talent nor coach it up. It's time to move on.
I think the Niners trade up like last year.

1st and 2nd for a 1/16-20 ish.

1st CB Loucheiz Purifoy
2nd WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3rd SS Antone Exum
4th NT
[ Edited by Butter on Oct 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Butter:

1st CB Loucheiz Purifoy
2nd WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3rd SS Antone Exum
4th NT

Considering how deep this draft is, I don't see any real reason to trade up a lot, especially not give away a 2nd round pick. This draft is pretty much loaded so the more picks they have in Rounds 1-3, the better off they'll be.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

1st CB Loucheiz Purifoy
2nd WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3rd SS Antone Exum
4th NT

Considering how deep this draft is, I don't see any real reason to trade up a lot, especially not give away a 2nd round pick. This draft is pretty much loaded so the more picks they have in Rounds 1-3, the better off they'll be.

Agreed. But based on Baalke's history, I think its a lock. I really prefer to bundle later picks to move up, IE 2/4 for higher 2nd.

The Niners should have a lot of holes as the let players walk to resign their core players.
at this time so early in the season, i give this mock an A just cuz you have us drafting two of my favorite prospects, Eddie Reynolds and Justin Gilbert.
Are they really saying that Keith Price will go in the 7th? I think he's got a tremendous amount of NFL potential.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I knew they tried to get Baldwin, but I never knew the whole story. Makes sense. I do think it was a good faith move by Harbaugh and Baalke. But if this story is true, then I am even more sold on the idea that we have the WRONG guy as our receiver coach. He can't pick talent nor coach it up. It's time to move on.

i always thought, watching the stanford games, that owusu was better than baldwin--i was wrong
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Are they really saying that Keith Price will go in the 7th? I think he's got a tremendous amount of NFL potential.

That was my thought as well. I don't blame guys but I think when a lot do their mocks they get a little too hopeful and have guys just drop into our laps. Not saying Phoenix is one of those guys and 1 or 2 players is ok but I see a lot of guy's mocks that will have like 4-5 guys dropping to us as the draft gets closer. To be fair Phoenix said I don't know if these guys will fall that far on the optimistic ones. I won't get on him about it because he was honest about it and it's early so you never know. The ones I have a hard time taking seriously are the ones a few week before the draft and almost every player is a round or 2 below where they are projected.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
That was my thought as well. I don't blame guys but I think when a lot do their mocks they get a little too hopeful and have guys just drop into our laps. Not saying Phoenix is one of those guys and 1 or 2 players is ok but I see a lot of guy's mocks that will have like 4-5 guys dropping to us as the draft gets closer. To be fair Phoenix said I don't know if these guys will fall that far on the optimistic ones. I won't get on him about it because he was honest about it and it's early so you never know. The ones I have a hard time taking seriously are the ones a few week before the draft and almost every player is a round or 2 below where they are projected.

I just don't see Price going very high, he had a terrible season last year and there will be questions about his size, also, he doesn't have a very strong arm, decent arm, but certainly not a cannon. I try to take my biases out of it as much as possible and try to realistically think about where guys will fit based on their record of performance and overall traits. I don't see Price going high at all, 5th round would probably be his ceiling IMO.

1st CB Loucheiz Purifoy
2nd WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3rd SS Antone Exum
4th NT

Only took a third to move up 13 spots to get Reid.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

1st CB Loucheiz Purifoy
2nd WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3rd SS Antone Exum
4th NT

I was gonna say the same thing. And it was an early 3rd I believe, Carolina's.
Nice mock Phoenix. Odell Beckham Jr. is honestly one of my most favorite targets right now. He's the type of guy that can run onto the ball on the deep routes.

Here are his snaps from LSU's second game of this season. It's a pretty monumental display.

I don't like your Ed Reynolds pick. I've watched a lot of his snaps from last year, and he looked absolutely atrocious at tackling. He seems like the type of guy that misses 3-4 TD saving tackles a year. His hands are suspect as well. For a guy that is as phenomenal at reading WR's his hands almost nullify it. One game I was watching he let 3-4 balls slap him in the hands, but he had 6 picks last year. So far this year he only has 1. I'll be honest though I have watched 3 Stanford games this year, but I have focused primarily on the front 7, and for that reason I won't be too meticulous. I guess I'm just waiting on him to really exert his dominance in the secondary.

Would you pick Reynolds over Clinton-Dix?
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

1st CB Loucheiz Purifoy
2nd WR Odell Beckham Jr.
3rd SS Antone Exum
4th NT

I was gonna say the same thing. And it was an early 3rd I believe, Carolina's.

#31 and #74 for #18.
Went ahead and watched some Ed Reynolds games and came away very very unimpressed. Observations:

• He looks like the smallest guy out there. You watch a niner game today and there's Whitner, a bit short, but with the thickness of a nose tackle, and a real big kid in Eric. I mean even on this team, and even against NFL competition Eric Reid looks like a grown man. This guy looks like Craig Dahl
  • He missed so many tackles that after a while I wasn't even expecting him to make routine tackles. After the 4th or 5th miss I was disgusted
  • He misread way too many plays. Hit the wrong gap, went the wrong way, etc.
  • Hands aren't elite. He dropped a few would-be picks
  • He is SLOW. SLLLLLOOOOOWWWW. On the pick 6 against UCLA I was amazed that he made it into the endzone. I want to see him line up in a race against Staley. I got my money on 74

The thing that works towards him is 1 seasons of really impressive stats. I'm not seeing that same type of production this year, and am not seeing how those numbers were produced when watching him games. I really really want to like him. We need a safety, I like Stanford players, and LOVE college production. I was really sad that I couldn't feel great about him after watching him play.
Share 49ersWebzone