There are 183 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V1.0

A bit early, but I decided, why not? In regards to the draft, the primary needs I see for the 49ers are safety, cornerback and wide receiver, however I don't see wide receiver as major of a need that they need to spend a early pick on it necessarily. Certainly, adding a Jordan Matthews or Cody Hoffman would be a great step forward but I think the defensive back needs are more pressing. Looking at the WR's, I think Boldin and Manningham will be brought back, Crabtree will return from injury, Patton will be there, along with Baldwin and possibly either Moore or Williams. I do think another WR is needed but I favor the approach of Green Bay and the Giants, continually adding to the position over time and coming up with some gems. Safety I think is a massive need, its IMO, the key position on the field when it comes to defending some of these option and spread attacks. I don't see Whitner coming back and I think the 49ers need to step up and acquire another young safety early to play alongside Reid for the next few years.

Round 1-Ed Reynolds-6'2"-205-FS-Stanford. I think this pick is vital as Reynolds is a good coverage guy, ballhawking, very aggressive, comes with good size and decent athleticism. He's not as big of a hitter as Reid and needs to improve his tackling but his coverage skills are terrific. I love the idea of this team having a group of young safeties who can play interchangeably. I think this position is too crucial to ignore and I can easily see Reynolds being available in the part of the draft that the 49ers will hopefully be picking in...like about Pick 32 or so. They could also certainly trade up if they like him enough. In anycase, I see him as need and value at the same time.

Round 2(From KC)-Justin Gilbert-6'0", 195-CB-Oklahome State-I really, really like Gilbert. I don't know that he'll be available this late in the 2nd...assuming KC doesn't crash and burn after reaching 8 wins. I think he's someone who is some good, quality coaching away from being a very dominant, effective NFL cover guy. A lot of the knocks on him are things that can be coached up, such as his footwork, but his instincts and athleticism simply can't. He plays with confidence, plays aggressively, loves to hit and has been heavily battle-tested in his time at Oklahoma State. He's also contributed on kickoff returns and has very good speed to go along with his size.

Round 2-Odell Beckham Jr-6'0", 190-WR-LSU. Beckham is the kind of explosive WR that this team badly needs, he racks up yards a kick returner, a punt returner, has been a great deep threat for LSU, a guy who can stretch defenses, football fast and has a decent build as well. He has an issue with drops, sometimes makes catching difficult passes look easy and catching easy passes look difficult. As I look at the WR's, this team really needs a stick of dynamite, someone explosive, who can work on special teams, who can also be a good deep threat, I see Beckham as a guy with that potential. An all purpose player, kind of like Ted Ginn but a surprisingly good route runner. If he can be a big-time, big-play threat in the SEC, I think that bodes well for his chances in the NFL.

Round 3(Titans)-Andre Hal-6'0", 190-CB-Vanderbilt. Vandy has been putting out some quality defensive backs into the NFL over the past few years and Hal looks to continue that. He basically shutdown Donte Moncrief, one of the top WR's in the SEC, 1-1 and teams have been throwing the ball in the opposite direction, away from him. He's another very athletic type, has contributed at kick returner, moves very fluidly, has great hips, pretty quick feet, he'd be another useful pickup to help improve the situation at CB. Seeing how Casey Hayward did in GB and how quickly he was able to contribute, Hal could follow suit, Vandy seems to do a great job of prepping and coaching their defensive backs so he could be a contributor from the get-go.

Round 3-DaQuan Jones-6'3", 320-DT/NT-Penn State. This guy has been BEASTING this year, playing with an incredible motor, he lost a bunch of weight in the offseason and has been damn near unblockable at times. If he keeps up the torrid pace, he'll be gone WELL before this point but he's someone who could be effective at nose tackle for the 49ers and fit what they look for in the position, not a massive monster-sized guy, very active, quick, strong at the point of attack, plays aggressively and with a good motor.

Round 3(Comp Pick-Goldson)-Brandon Thomas-6'3", 320-OT/OG-Clemson. Very experienced, long-term starter, solid all-around, can slide in at guard or tackle, would provide quality depth for a team that desperately needs it on the OL, especially if Goodwin is let go and Kilgore slides in as the starter next season.

Round 4-Ricardo Allen-5'9",185-CB-Purdue. Slot corner, very aggressive, plays kind of cocky, likes to talk trash, has somewhat of a Sherman-like personality, has terrific quickness, also a guy who is very experienced as a starter and a leader in the secondary.

Round 5-Tracy Moore-6'1", 215-WR-Oklahoma State. If not for injury and off the field issues that have slowed him down, he'd be rated much higher. A very physical receiver, beats press coverage, outstanding in the open field, reminds me a lot of Boldin when he's got the ball in his hands. Very eager run blocker, incredibly physical for the position. The issues with him are somewhat similar to Da'Rick Rogers in terms of having some off the field issues. Boom or bust pick all the way. If its boom, you've got yourself a much faster version of Boldin, if its bust...well dude is probably going to jail. If he keeps playing well, he'll likely move up the boards but because of injury and character concerns, I don't see him going beyond the mid 4th round. He's a pure gamble and if it works, you have a hell of a receiver.

Round 6-Tevin McDonald-6'0", 190-FS-Eastern Washington. Another son of Tim McDonald and one that is far more suited to playing free safety. He's had a series of issues that took him from UCLA to Eastern Washington. Talent wise he's a Top 3 rounds guy but had some drug issues that resulted in him getting the boot from UCLA. Just like Moore, if he can get beyond his issues, you've got a player who's significantly more valuable and better suited for a much higher slot. As much as TJ McDonald is more of a strong safety, Tevin is more suited to free safety, better in coverage, terrific tackler, would add some outstanding depth to the safety position.

Round 7-Keith Price-6'1", 200-QB-Washington. He has stepped his game up and may not fall this far, but with QB's it can be really iffy as we saw this past draft. He definitely looks to be improved in pretty much every facet, he's definitely undersized but he's a gamer, very competitive, has looked tremendously accurate so far this season. He's been getting tutored/trained by Russell Wilson and it shows. His performances have been reminding me of Wilson at Wisconsin, however Price isn't nearly as fast or as athletic but can still take off and run when needed. His arm strength is decent, not great, he doesn't have a cannon but he doesn't have a noodle arm either. He's got a fantastically quick throwing motion and gets the ball out in a hurry. Overall, he could be an interesting prospect to develop as a #3 QB.

Round 7-Dakota Dozier-6'3", 310-OG-Furman. Very dominant, hard-nosed smaller school guard, plays with a chip on his shoulder and simple another body to throw into the meat grinder and hopefully see this team develop a semblance of depth on the OL.

Round 7-Phillip Gaines-5'11", 190-CB-Rice. Smaller school defensive back, defensive leader, outstanding body of work with some injury issues. Ballhawking defensive back that does a great job of breaking up passes, good footwork, very fluid with decent athleticism.

Round 7-Vincenzo D'Amato-6'2", 200-K-Cal. I see the 49ers bringing in a kicker, whether or not Dawson stays. D'Amato has been streaky but he's an exciting player, has thrown for a touchdown, decent leg strength although there are questions about his ability kicking 40+ yards. Nevertheless, considering that this is the late late 7th, he's worth a look and an invite to camp.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
awe it is that time of the year isn't it....

one thing.....I think we can all forget about drafting smallish shifty WRs any time within the next several years. Our division is not conducive to their abilities and we've whiffed on 2 out of 3

Ron Johnson: good faith pick by Baalke after WR coach Morton vouched for him. Lost Doug Baldwin to Seattle cause of it
Jenkins: thank god we got Baldwin for him
Patton: We don't know what we have in him and now he has a bum foot.

We'll be going big and fast at WR until Seattle loses their DBs to FA

Love the idea of getting Keith Price though. Definitely my QB position draft crush
Originally posted by sfout:
awe it is that time of the year isn't it....

one thing.....I think we can all forget about drafting smallish shifty WRs any time within the next several years. Our division is not conducive to their abilities and we've whiffed on 2 out of 3

Ron Johnson: good faith pick by Baalke after WR coach Morton vouched for him. Lost Doug Baldwin to Seattle cause of it
Jenkins: thank god we got Baldwin for him
Patton: We don't know what we have in him and now he has a bum foot.

We'll be going big and fast at WR until Seattle loses their DBs to FA

Love the idea of getting Keith Price though. Definitely my QB position draft crush

"I think we can all forget about drafting smallish shifty WRs any time, Our division is not conducive to their abilities"

Hasn't stopped Seattle or St Louis. Tate and Baldwin are both undersized guys who are doing just fine. Austin will be fine once the Rams figure out how to use him properly. Wes Welker is tiny and he lit up Seattle's secondary last season. The notion that you need big receivers to compete with big defensive backs, to me, is kind of goofy. Its like saying that if Russell Wilson was 5-6 inches taller, he'd be significantly more elusive. The logic doesn't mesh.

I don't think you shy away from talent because they whiffed on Jenkins. I'm not even going to bring up Johnson, he was a late round pick, was recommended by one of the coaches, don't see it as a big deal. Patton I think will be fine once he gets healthy, he showed he was picking up the offense quickly and moved up the depth charts in front of everyone but Boldin before his injury.

Beckham would introduce a whole new dimension, he's a big play threat, as well as a high quality special teams guy. I think a WR group that featured Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Patton, Baldwin and Beckham would be pretty ideal. Ultimately what the 49ers need more of is speed and downfield threats, thats exactly the guy that Beckham is.

The fascination with "bigger" receivers to me is a bit short-minded. Houston has some terrific big receivers and Seattle basically shut them down in the 2nd half, especially Hopkins. Once again, the bigger a defensive back is, the easier time they have with bigger receivers who may not be as quick. The biggest issue I saw is that the 49ers need someone who can get downfield in a hurry and stretch the defense out further. The 49ers don't need big WR's, they need guys who are pure playmakers, simple as that, guys who will make a difference at the next level, guys who can create separation in any manner possible.

Beckham needs to work on his catching and improve his route running for more complex offenses, but he's pure explosion and a big play guy all the way.

Also, there's Tracy Moore, someone a lot of people are overlooking but I guy that seems to possess all the tools to be a quality NFL receiver, very physical, tough, a guy who attacks the ball, hard to bring down in the open field, I see him moving up the draft boards as long as he keeps his nose clean.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM ]
Love the Ricardo Allen pick (I'm a Purdue fan). He gets undervalued being on a very bad defense.

Also like the Keith Price pick. He's bounced back from a disappointing 2012 season. Can't wait to see how he fares against Stanford this Saturday.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Reynolds would be fine.

I would drop Tracy Moore. There are some small school receivers that will be available in the late rounds.
Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley has good size, speed (it seems) and has been very productive.
What? Were the 49ers strongly considering Baldwin or something? I've never heard that tidbit before.
Love the Reynolds pick. A SS with some size and coverage ability would greatly help this offense.

Two 2nd round receivers just wont happen. And two smallish receivers in the mold of Kyle Williams and AJ Jenkins to boot? No thanks. We will have Crabtree, Baldwin and Patton and Jacobs under contract for next year. I just cant see it happening.
I won't comment on your picks at this point.... its too hard to project where guys will go in the draft at this point. Some guys that you'd think would be 1st round picks end up going much later, and guys you think are mid-rounders do well at the combine and skyrocket up draft boards.

As for our needs, I don't think safety is as big of a need as you think. I think we will draft a decent safety in the mid-rounds and restructure Whitner's contract to keep him for much less than he is making now. Whitner has played well so far this season.

WR and CB are by far the biggest needs. Carlos Rogers has been solid so far this year, but we won't be able to extend Kaepernick with Rogers contract the way it is. I would love to see us resign Brown, but it may be better long term to draft a stud CB in the 1st or 2nd round. The need at WR is obvious. There are no long term solutions on the roster (except for maybe Patton). We need to prepare for Crabtree's departure.

Another need that you didn't mention that I think is huge is OL. It's time to start restocking. Iupati could be leaving soon and we need a quality swing tackle as well. At least one 2nd or 3rd round pick should be on an OL.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
What? Were the 49ers strongly considering Baldwin or something? I've never heard that tidbit before.

Everyone knew about it after the draft. Harbaugh said publicly that it was between him and baldwin and they still tried to sign baldwin as UDFA but he went to seattle instead.

They literally only picked Ron Jon because Morton coached him at USC and it was decision meant to show that Harbaugh/Baalke would listen/trust their assistants.
Originally posted by buck:
Reynolds would be fine.

I would drop Tracy Moore. There are some small school receivers that will be available in the late rounds.
Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley has good size, speed (it seems) and has been very productive.

I love Tracy Moore, you're talking about a guy who's a 1st round type talent but will be able to be had much later in the draft. Don't think his issues are nearly as bad as what Rogers had, but that remains to be seen.

Also, the vast majority of these small school guys people bring up end up being scrubs and working at Denny's 3 months after the draft. I'm just playing the odds here. I still remember the hype about Elvis Akpla, now homeboy is coaching high-school football.

Some of the big small school names from last year, Brandon Kaufman, Jasper Collins and others are currently looking for work in the insurance industry or are stuck on a practice squad.

One day I'll make a chart showing just how shockingly low the odds of one of these guys making it is. Not to say that receivers from bigger schools don't bust either, but the success rate is certainly higher.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]

Originally posted by blm7754:

Another need that you didn't mention that I think is huge is OL. It's time to start restocking. Iupati could be leaving soon and we need a quality swing tackle as well. At least one 2nd or 3rd round pick should be on an OL.

Hence Brandon Thomas. A quality, experienced guy who can play either tackle or guard. I don't think you NEED to take an offensive lineman in the first or second round for them to be a quality player. If you look around the league, look how many quality starters were taken in Round 3 or below. Heck, Boone's been the 49ers best offensive lineman thus far this season and he was undrafted. Thomas isn't just a throwaway pick, he's been very steady for Clemson and experienced enough that he wouldn't be flailing around if you needed him to start for whatever reason.

I also disagree with your contention about safety. I think the model a lot of teams are striving for is to essentially have two interchangeable safeties, not a pure free safety or a pure strong safety but two talented guys you can move around and line up pretty much anywhere. Whitner is playing out of his mind right now, he's doing great, but based on his past performances, I'd say that this is more of an aberration than anything else. In the end, he'll still be a liability and with the NFL cracking down on his big hits, the most effective part of his game is basically being neutered. With Reynolds you have another big, tall safety, someone who is excellent in pass coverage, who is a ballhawk, can hit and make plays all over the field. I think a combination of Reynolds and Reid would make this secondary exceedingly more difficult to throw into.

As far as cornerback, Asomugha has looked terrible thus far, Rogers has been mediocre, definitely not playing up to his salary or close. Cox could be gone after the season, especially since he's been pretty bad on special teams thus far. With the thought that Brown, Asomugha and Cox will be gone, I went for 3 CB's, two of whom I felt would be instant contributors, right out of the box. Gilbert could easily be a starter opposite Culliver with Hal contributing as a nickel back if needed.

As far as wide receiver, I don't think its as big of a need as some claim, its certainly a need but with Crabtree coming back, as well as Manningham potentially coming back on a cheaper deal, Boldin being re-signed, Patton and Baldwin there, you've got a nice mix of receivers, the one thing they are lacking is the big play guy, the deep downfield threat and that's what Beckham represents. Then you take a chance on a guy like Moore who has potential through the roof to be a very good NFL receiver and I'd say the cupboard is restocked for now.
talking about the draft a year from now is like talking about what the weather would be like then... C'mon guy! a lot can happen between now and the end of the college season
kazak13VeteranPosts: 122 talking about the draft a year from now is like talking about what the weather would be like then... C'mon guy! a lot can happen between now and the end of the college season

This is nonsense BS.

I've been here for a while and absolutely love the drafts the vets post. I learn about guys I've never heard of and it's FUN!

Excellent post Phoenix - keep rockin'
Originally posted by kazak13:
talking about the draft a year from now is like talking about what the weather would be like then... C'mon guy! a lot can happen between now and the end of the college season

Of course a lot of things will change but if you don't want to look in the draft forum you don't have to. It's not like this draft stuff is in niner talk. It's optional to visit. A lot of posters work on the draft 365 and like to talk about prospects throughout the year with other posters. You think our scouting staff starts looking at prospects in Jan or Feb after the season? No, they start the day after the draft ends and heck some are probably looking at players who wont come out 2 or more years from now. And if you are referring to making mocks there are forums out there on many different sites where people posts mocks every day of the year (well not one person doing 365 mocks but just in general all the posters). Day after the draft guys are posting all the way up until a few hours before the draft. Mock drafts have become huge these past 5 or so years... it's growing every year like fantasy football. It's fun and helps you and some people that read your mocks get more familiar with prospects. I usually don't start hitting the draft hard until December or January but I learn a lot from reading mocks throughout the season. Helps me start to know the names and guys who might fit our system or our needs before I dig in and form my own opinions.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM ]
Not going to get into the who is listed in this mock draft as we all know things can change, but I do like the logic behind the majority of the picks. Two major areas of weakness are the defensive backs and receivers. Even if we wanted to keep Whitner, I'm sure the plan is to replace him with younger, cheaper talent. I also love the idea of going after a shifty, speedy receiver. We need a burner on our team. At the present time, all we have is Vernon Davis. Kyle Williams is the other speed guy by default, but teams don't fear/respect his speed. Corners play off of guys if they respect your speed. Having a guy that can go down field, especially opposite of Vernon Davis, helps everyone on this offense. Hitting on these picks will be crucial because we will be replacing a lot of guys and will be as dependent on more young players than we have at any point in time during the York-Baalke-Harbaugh era.
Share 49ersWebzone