LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 171 users in the forums

Dominique Easley tears ACL, will enter draft.

Originally posted by sfout:
me either, I just use my knowledge resource (mother was nurse, sister and her husband are ER doctors) pretty much that for a professional athlete. but I'd still go with a timeline of about 8+ months for a full tear.

Since Carradine got hurt pretty much 10 months ago I wouldn't be surprised if we waited a full year and didn't activate him until December. I don't think we'll see a single player on NFI or PUP before our bye week.

The earliest we can activate them is week 7 and that the road game in Tennessee and then we jump across the pond to face the Jags. I doubt we officially activate any of them until after the bye week. Which will allow us the full 3 weeks of practice to evaluate their progress prior to the supposedly pivotal rematch with the Seahawks.

anyway I went way off topic. I think Easley will workout for NFL teams until May 1st because this years draft is on may 5 - 8th. Carradine worked out on April 21st, draft was just 4 days later on the 25th

It makes no season to wait till week 9 if the player is healthy.

If you expect the player to contribute they need to start getting reps as soon as possible. That means activating them week 7 so they can participate in training exercises.

Simply activating them 3 weeks before the Seahawks wont guarantee they're match ready. Neither will 5 weeks but that 2 weeks could make all the difference.

Ultimately I doubt Seattle is even in the equation for anyone on NFI.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
It makes no season to wait till week 9 if the player is healthy.

If you expect the player to contribute they need to start getting reps as soon as possible. That means activating them week 7 so they can participate in training exercises.

Simply activating them 3 weeks before the Seahawks wont guarantee they're match ready. Neither will 5 weeks but that 2 weeks could make all the difference.

No player is 100% healthy 12 months let a lone 8-10 months removed from such major injuries. Yes if we are planning on activating them anyway it doesn't matter how early they do it but when you only have 21 days to officially place them on the 53 you might as well wait until after the bye week. Especially when the 2 games we play between the first potential day of activation and the bye week are against 2 terrible teams

Titans: considering trading Britt, CJ is averaging a career low 3.0 YPC and hasn't scored a TD, they just lost Locker for 4-8 weeks so we'll likely be playing Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Jags: 0-4 even with blackmon back they will be terrible, MJD has 2.4 YPC and 1 TD, and their starting QB will be Chad Henne or Blaine Gabbert.

If you think we NEED Rio, Crabtree, Tank, Dial or anybody on the PUP or NFI for either of those games then this team is in big trouble. Activating them on the Monday after the bye week gives them 3 full weeks to evaluate the players for a december playoff push. The fact is that the outcome of the Houston and Arizona games will determine the urgency in the team's decision to activate any player.

My whole point is that when you have the luxury of waiting 11 months instead of 10 based on the schedule you should probably wait the extra month because you have the long term health of your players in mind.

This dovetails with my point about Easley's timeline. He will wait as long as he can to do any kind of workout, especially because the NFL has pushed the draft back 2 full weeks from April 25 to May 8. Working out on May 5th instead of April 21st could be difference between an entire round of expected draft position for Easley.

Point is anybody who has a chance to recover for a longer period of time will chose to do so.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
No player is 100% healthy 12 months let a lone 8-10 months removed from such major injuries. Yes if we are planning on activating them anyway it doesn't matter how early they do it but when you only have 21 days to officially place them on the 53 you might as well wait until after the bye week. Especially when the 2 games we play between the first potential day of activation and the bye week are against 2 terrible teams

Titans: considering trading Britt, CJ is averaging a career low 3.0 YPC and hasn't scored a TD, they just lost Locker for 4-8 weeks so we'll likely be playing Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Jags: 0-4 even with blackmon back they will be terrible, MJD has 2.4 YPC and 1 TD, and their starting QB will be Chad Henne or Blaine Gabbert.

If you think we NEED Rio, Crabtree, Tank, Dial or anybody on the PUP or NFI for either of those games then this team is in big trouble. Activating them on the Monday after the bye week gives them 3 full weeks to evaluate the players for a december playoff push. The fact is that the outcome of the Houston and Arizona games will determine the urgency in the team's decision to activate any player.

My whole point is that when you have the luxury of waiting 11 months instead of 10 based on the schedule you should probably wait the extra month because you have the long term health of your players in mind.

This dovetails with my point about Easley's timeline. He will wait as long as he can to do any kind of workout, especially because the NFL has pushed the draft back 2 full weeks from April 25 to May 8. Working out on May 5th instead of April 21st could be difference between an entire round of expected draft position for Easley.

Point is anybody who has a chance to recover for a longer period of time will chose to do so.

I didn't say the team needed them. In fact you're the one that based their return on the "pivotal" Seahawks match.

You're the one basing time frames on the results of Houston,Arizona and the Seahawks match.

You missed my entire point though. My reason for activating them week 7 is so they can practice and be evaluated.

You want to wait 2 weeks because it means they'll be healthier when it probably wouldn't make a difference.

All it will do is make the transition longer and harder for those activated.

Anyways this entire exchange is fruitless because each person on NFI is an individual case that should be evaluated as such.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
How many knee injuries did Ray McDonald have in college? It seems like this guy would be a good candidate to replace McDonald in a few years.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
thought the excact same thing. baalke will take him at the end of the third or something like this

You may be saying this in jest, but I think it's spot on. The Niners seriously need depth help on the DL right now, but they're going to have more pressing needs in the early rounds of the draft (CB & CB). And they're probably not going to find a guy with Easley's talent & work ethic in the later rounds. I could easily see him as a 49er.

I also have my eye on his teammate Ronal Powell. If Lemonier takes Brooks' job, then Brooks is as good as cut or traded IMO. I could easily see that happening, so Powell might be a nice option to back them up at OLB.

Florida also has a couple of CBs the Niners could use. Heck, just let the Niners raid the Gators this offseason & leave the rest of CFB to the rest of the NFL.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:07 AM ]
Count me as a skeptic about his ability to play the 3-4 DE at the next level. He is listed at 6'2", 280, which probably means 6'1 1/2", which is pretty short for a 3-4 DE. Expect a move inside as a 43 DT, playing the 3 technique.

Probably will be a fourth or fifth rounder.

This. In all honesty if the 49ers can win this game against Houston, I fully expect them to be 6-2 at the bye. After Houston they play the no-pass rush, no running game Cardinals in SF, Tennessee without Locker and then Jacksonville in London which might as well be another home game for all intents and purposes.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Count me as a skeptic about his ability to play the 3-4 DE at the next level. He is listed at 6'2", 280, which probably means 6'1 1/2", which is pretty short for a 3-4 DE. Expect a move inside as a 43 DT, playing the 3 technique.

Reminds me of Geno Atkins. Could see him as a 4-3 DT easily.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

His qualities and traits as a prospect make him a 3-4 not the addition an inch to his height.

Just on the surface he has a real first step, short area quickness, and explosiveness. You want those qualities on the outside where he has more space inbetween the olinemen to explioit.

I do think he would be a quality 3 tec though, and that's a plus not a minus. He would add additional rushing option inside when Fangii puts them in nickel. Between him and Carradine you have two young and promising interior pass.

Long term you give him timw to develop and you have a balanced stater.

Short term him and Carradine combine to give the dline that interior pass rush.
Would take a flyer on him, he looked pretty good whenever I watched a florida game.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Reminds me of Geno Atkins. Could see him as a 4-3 DT easily.

Excellent comparison. The red flags on his knees are surely going to drop him down the board, especially since he will probably have to redshirt his rookie year.
Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

Dominique Easley/DL/Florida drawing heavy interest from Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, NE Patriots & San Fransisco 49ers...saying 2nd rnd
Carradine was 275 to start so would be no problem stashing Easley on PUP or IR and having him get up to 285-290+. He could take over for McDonald in a few years and hopefully Carradine can do the same for Justin Smith. Would be nice to get him in the 3rd but might have to take him at 56 or 61.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Carradine was 275 to start so would be no problem stashing Easley on PUP or IR and having him get up to 285-290+. He could take over for McDonald in a few years and hopefully Carradine can do the same for Justin Smith. Would be nice to get him in the 3rd but might have to take him at 56 or 61.

Easley is actually already at 288, so he's right where we would need him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Easley is actually already at 288, so he's right where we would need him.

I was referring to where Maddog said he was listed as 6'2 280. Yeah you are right he's at 288 so probably just get him in better shape add a few pounds of muscle and we are good to go. It's just a matter of who is willing to pull the trigger first. Will he make it to 56 or 61 and if so do we spend a pick that high on someone who would could be put on PUP or IR? I'd love to end up with Verrett, Matthews and Easley as the first 3 picks. If we don't get Easley we could take guys with potential like DaQuan Jones or Will Sutton and let Tomsula work his magic. Both need to get whipped into better shape. When watching Jones he had a great burst but seemed to give up on plays (esp run). Sutton has a lot of potential first and he has lost a lot of weight but first thing would be to get him in the best shape of his life and get him down another 5-10 pounds. Any of those 3 guys could possibly take over for McDonald who's signed through 2015 and would be 33 before the start of the 2016 season. Not saying he will be done after 2015 but should have someone ready to replace him in case he leaves for more money or if he has lost it.
Share 49ersWebzone