There are 188 users in the forums

***Johnny Manziel thread***

The browns are going to get raped when they trade with the jags.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL

Went back over some tape last night:(1/3) The things that make Manziel successful on college are things you don't want him doing in the pros

2/3 Manziel is a huge injury risk with his style of play. You're basically getting Vick minus the cannon. Not a wise investment.

3/3 Because of Manziel's terrible (non - existent) footwork, balls tends to sail on him.

Manziel doesn't trust the pocket, and had one of the best offensive lines in college football.

If you draft Manziel you basically need to have a tall WR corps, very athletic O line and capable backup for when he gets hurt.

Manziel is very elusive in the open field, but schematically he's not going to see the same type of open field areas in the pro game.

I've been calling for #Bears to take Manziel in the 2nd or 3rd. That's his best fit. He'll get the GM that takes him any earlier, fired

Other concerns with Manziel are size... not sure he comes in any taller than 6'0" and weight ...which is around 200.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB
#NFL scout on Johnny Manziel: He reminds me a little bit of Joe Montana http://on.nfl.com/1hwS9lq ;
I don't like comparisons, but he has those Russell Wilson type of qualities. He has excellent awareness and mobility. As long as Manziel isn't asked to carry a team, he could be effective. I think a team like Houston or Minnesota would be a good fit if they can rely on their rushing attack.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Such a shame billion dollar talent and a ten cent head. Glad someone else will need to deal with this immature head case. Wish he wasn't so fun to watch, or I would just ignore him all together.

Yep body by Porsche brain by matel
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Insane
IF, AND THIS IS A BIG IF, the Raiders were smart, they would take him in the second. Even if he fails, he's going to create a buzz for that team and its fanbase. And just like another poster said, if he's not asked to carry a team but be russell wilson ish, he will be very effective.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
IF, AND THIS IS A BIG IF, the Raiders were smart, they would take him in the second. Even if he fails, he's going to create a buzz for that team and its fanbase. And just like another poster said, if he's not asked to carry a team but be russell wilson ish, he will be very effective.

The problems with the Raiders are far more than the QB position. And based on next season's schedule, Manziel in a Raider uni is not going to enjoy having to face the Niners front 7.
Originally posted by Jcool:

#NFL scout on Johnny Manziel: He reminds me a little bit of Joe Montana http://on.nfl.com/1hwS9lq ;

I can buy that. In terms of improvisation, absolutely. Especially if we're talking about Joe coming out of Notre Dame, not Joe, playing at a HOF level 5 years into his career. The evasiveness, mobility, ability to create something out of nothing, I can see that part of it. But does he have the mental resilience, composure..etc. He's got the athleticism and talent to be a very good quarterback, what counts most is what he has going on upstairs and in that regard, he could end up going eitherway.
Originally posted by jimrat:

Insane

If he tried that in the NFL he'd have gotten demolished. That said, he's got very good instincts and evasiveness, will be difficult for pass rushers to get their hands on him, similar to Wilson.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He is living out his 15 minutes of fame. No chance in the NFL

I still love this comment from our resident "guru".
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimrat:

Insane

If he tried that in the NFL he'd have gotten demolished. That said, he's got very good instincts and evasiveness, will be difficult for pass rushers to get their hands on him, similar to Wilson.

.....or RGIII and can't stand up to the physicality of the NFL. I kept hearing them say "The healthiest is looked in a long time". Doesn't bode well.

Do they have accurate height and weight on him yet, or just "Official College" numbers (that seem to magically shrink at the Combine)
[ Edited by socal9er42 on Jan 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM ]
Someone is going to give him a shot. He is going to go early and he has was more talent then Tim Tebow ever did as a passer. Who knows what this guy can accomplish as long as he doesn't lose his head.
His highlights are impressive.

I personally don't see the big deal in getting kicked out of a frat party, or having fake i.d.'s. Sounds like normal dumb late teens early 20's behavior to me. I feel for the kid that his dad yearns for the spotlight his son is getting and said some things publicly that he probably shouldn't have, but I also think what was said was not all that bad either. I would imagine quite a lot of players in the NFL have anger issues. As for alcohol, well our own Boone, who is one of my favorite players, was a sloppy sloppy drunk in college. It doesn't mean things stay that way as Boone has proven.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:

I can buy that. In terms of improvisation, absolutely. Especially if we're talking about Joe coming out of Notre Dame, not Joe, playing at a HOF level 5 years into his career. The evasiveness, mobility, ability to create something out of nothing, I can see that part of it. But does he have the mental resilience, composure..etc. He's got the athleticism and talent to be a very good quarterback, what counts most is what he has going on upstairs and in that regard, he could end up going eitherway.

ya not sure why that's so funny lol. im sure manziel is quicker than joe ever was, but how they played in college was very similar.
Share 49ersWebzone