LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 121 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

ideally i'd prefer marqise lee or odell beckham (since we can't get watkins)

but i'd be ok with allen robinson or jordan matthews

at least in the limited clips i saw of jordan matthews he never gets caught from behind and he's a big guy so that's some game speed
as long we get one of the following ill be happy

matthews

beckham jr.

moncrief

cooks
Originally posted by iLL49er:
ideally i'd prefer marqise lee or odell beckham (since we can't get watkins)

but i'd be ok with allen robinson or jordan matthews

at least in the limited clips i saw of jordan matthews he never gets caught from behind and he's a big guy so that's some game speed

It will be interesting to see how the draft falls. If there is an early run on WRs, which I doubt, the niners may trade up. But if they don't, Matthews could fall perfectly for them. If their isn't a run then they will have their pick of several really good guys. I don't see Lee falling but who knows.

Will Baalke fall in love with one of these guys and trade up? If he does I hope it's as good a deal as the Reid pick was last year. I could actually see him trading down though if only three or four WRs go in the first round, picking up an extra third or higher second...or both. So much depends on what they think their needs are and how happy they are with the DL and OL guys currently on the team. Resign Whitner, Bolden and Goodwin and they would be able to pick just about anyone...BPA.
reading those comments in the other thread from paraag on this flying 20's non-sense makes me wonder if this non-sense is why we miss on wr every time

peter king reported last yr jim harbaugh was out scouting wr's...clearly was a reflection of how unhappy he was w/ jenkins pick
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by tohara3:
I want Moncrief & Bryant combination in the draft for the 49ers.
No, thx. We've got Baldwin already.

I would actually like Bryant -- high potential player and one of the fastest in this entire WR class. Totally different player than Baldwin.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for K1ngCoopa24.
I'd be totally fine with is trading LMJ and a couple mid round picks for us to go up in the first round and get Mike Evans or whichever receiver they have targeted. I love Evans' swag, and his comments about jawing at Dick Sherman and going up against him was $$.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
reading those comments in the other thread from paraag on this flying 20's non-sense makes me wonder if this non-sense is why we miss on wr every time

peter king reported last yr jim harbaugh was out scouting wr's...clearly was a reflection of how unhappy he was w/ jenkins pick

And we wouldn't have selected one if the draft had gone according to plan. The FO was pretty open with how shocked they were that they fell to the 4th, the only WRs that went after Patton worth anything were Stills(5th round), Marquess Wilson(7th), and Mellete(7th) were the only WRs picked after Patton that did anything of note or we had interest in.

So I don't think Harbaugh really impacted that at all.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I would actually like Bryant -- high potential player and one of the fastest in this entire WR class. Totally different player than Baldwin.

Not trying to make the case for Bryant but Clock is definitely right. They have nothing in common except their height.
Given his size, Baldwin is also a fast player and one with potential. For now, Bryant is more an athlete than a football player.
Given his size, Baldwin is also a fast player and one with potential. For now, Bryant is more an athlete than a football player.

I understand Baldwin is bigger weight-wise and isn't exactly "slow", but at this point no one see Baldwin as an electric catch-and-run threat like Bryant would be as a rookie. Baldwin has been in the league long enough to the point where questions are surfacing whether he will ever really contribute.

Bryant, on the other hand, is coming in raw with room to go and while there's risk -- just as there is with any player -- there's a lot more "hope" for him than Baldwin, whose level of "hope" has dwindled in the minds of many. So that's the 2nd difference. Different players at different stages in their career and came from different conferences. At the right spot, I would not pass on Bryant simply because he's a tad raw. If they believe he can be good, I wouldn't pass on him just because they have another tall receiver already competing on the roster -- one that may not even make the team this coming season.

I do not know enough about the pick value system to answer this. Will two 2nds', two 5ths', a 7th, and swapping 1st of course, be enough to get Watkins if he falls to 7-10?
Originally posted by DeUh:

Not trying to make the case for Bryant but Clock is definitely right. They have nothing in common except their height.
TY guys I almost choked when I saw Bryant being compared to Baldwin, besides similar height and the fact they play the same sport they are nothing alike actually if you see Bryant's stats and his film he is much more like DeSean Jackson than Baldwin
before anyone says I'm crazy I will provide a simple stat
22 yards per catch...That is a DeSean Jackson kind of number
With Clemson Bryant was the Big Play receiver, gotta remember their go to receiver is Sammy Watkins the best receiver in this draft...Bryant would often outrun the opponents secondary (DeSean Jackson all the way) Jackson may be 5'10 and Bryant close to 6'4" but they seem like twins in the way they are used in film
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
as long we get one of the following ill be happy

matthews

beckham jr.

moncrief

cooks

Same here, except I would add Landry. I think Landry and Cooks are the two players who would give us immediate impact. They are both excellent players; with one lacking height and the other lacking some speed. I much prefer these deficiencies to deficiencies with hands, routes, body control, feel for the game, etc.
While I'm not sold that Matthews is a true 1st-round talent, he's as close to one as I can find. Solid, high 2nd rounder in my opinion. He is not a true vertical threat, but what he does very well is "create" separation by using body position and arm-battling so well to give him room to make catches when going deep downfield one-on-one. The only issue is if there is safety help, he doesn't have the speed to get past them like a Moncrief, Bryant, or possibly Cooks might. I want to see Cooks beat the jam more effectively before I really am sold at using a high pick on him.

In going back and reviewing what ACTUALLY beat Seattle, I discovered that a lot of it had to do with play design. OCs had to utilize their speed receivers FORMATIONALLY to take Seattle out of position where they physically could not press the opponent's speed target. With open field to run deep, that enabled a shot deep regardless of any pressure Seattle was able to get along the defensive line.
Day after day I've been analyzing these prospects and I think at this point, I'm pretty close to finalizing my board, pending Pro Days. At the moment, the players that I personally believe best fit our team when looking at their overall combination of football smarts, physical attributes, blocking, hands, route-running, and character (with consideration for elements our team currently lacks also), are the following:

1. Donte Moncrief, Mississippi, 6-2 226 4.40
2. Robert Herron, Wyoming, 5-9 193 4.48
3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M, 6-5 231 4.53
4. Allen Robinson, Penn Sate, 6-2 220 4.60
5. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State, 5-10 189 4.33
6. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6-3 212 4.46
7. Davante Adams, Fresno State, 6-1 212 4.56
8. Jarvis Landry, LSU, 5-11 206 4.77
9. Bruce Ellington, South Carolina, 5-9 197 4.45
10. Quincy Enunwa, Nebraska, 6-2 225 4.45

Now, of that list, who do I think we're most likely to actually draft? I think of those, the most likely would be Moncrief, Herron, Cooks, and Enunwa.
Share 49ersWebzone