LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
4. Allen Hurns, Miami: I've been trying to tout him all year. No one talks about him, yet he broke receiving records set by Andre Johnson and Leonard Hankerson, both early picks. Aside from his production in a major conference, he showed a knack for catches passes in traffic and being a big play threat (see YPC average for further evidence) and is also a solid blocker. Hurns is also a high-character prospect who earned the Team MVP award for his sensational performance on the field and his outstanding character and leadership off of it.

So there you have it, those are a few of my favorites I'd LOVE to have on our team. There are plenty others I'd be happy about, but those specific players are the ones I've grown to like the most.

I aint heard much about on here but u talked him up really good so I looked him N his statz up ... 121 catchz 1891 yardz 14TDz in 4 yearz now Im wondering what recordz he broke with them numberz ???

Single-season receiving record. And I think "single-season" is the key phrase that might concern some teams. He has all the tools, but it's a question of whether scouts think he is a one-year wonder or not. Based on what I saw the year prior to this year, the skills have been there all along, and so has the work ethic, shown by his dramatic improvement.

Now, am I saying Hurns should be a high pick? No. Production never tells the whole story. There's so much else they take into consideration. Overall, I give Hurns a 5th round grade right now, pre-Combine. I think he will just need a little time to adjust to the NFL, but with a team that is willing to give him that shot, I like his chances.

No love for Beckham, Benjamin or even Robinson?

I love Benjamin and Robinson, and I'd be very excited to have them. I was just answering the question for the specific players throughout the draft that my eyes would light up over, and the ones I mentioned were just particular favorites for various reasons. As evidenced, they don't have to be 1st-round talents to be a favorite. I have various "favorites" at each of the tiers in this draft.

I'm not a big Beckham fan though.
WR - Odell Beckham Jr.*, LSU would be good.
I like Beckham and Robinson. But love to grab Benjamin before them, dude has what we need Size in the redzone and ability to stretch the field like randy moss in his prime, will demand double coverage because his ability to beat a cb one on one for the deep ball.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jared Abbrederis - WR - Badgers

Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis' "speed is a question, and his 40 time will be important" at the NFL Combine, writes NFL.com's Mike Huguenin.

Huguenin likes Abbrederis' "excellent hands" and "crisp routes," but he's right in drawing attention to the importance of the receiver's 40 time. Abbrederis was highly productive at Wisconsin and does his best work on the edge. We were impressed with the 6-foot, 189 pounder's agility, ability to separate, and propensity to come down with the ball in contested situations at Wisconsin.

Donte Moncrief - WR - Rebels

Scouts will closely monitor the output of Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief at the NFL's Scouting Combine.

"Ole Miss coaches raved about his freakish athleticism, but he had only a so-so junior season before deciding to turn pro," wrote NFL.com's Mike Huguenin. "He has intriguing size, and if he runs well in the 40 -- most expect a sub-4.4 time -- it will bode well for his draft status." The 6-foot-3, 226-pounder collected 59 catches for 938 yards and six touchdowns last season. He's more talented than his collegiate production suggests, the primary reason that evaluators are hoping for excellent test numbers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/cfb/nfl-draft-player-news
  • buck
  • Veteran
sorry double post
[ Edited by buck on Feb 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Jared Abbrederis - WR - Badgers

Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis' "speed is a question, and his 40 time will be important" at the NFL Combine, writes NFL.com's Mike Huguenin.

Huguenin likes Abbrederis' "excellent hands" and "crisp routes," but he's right in drawing attention to the importance of the receiver's 40 time. Abbrederis was highly productive at Wisconsin and does his best work on the edge. We were impressed with the 6-foot, 189 pounder's agility, ability to separate, and propensity to come down with the ball in contested situations at Wisconsin.

Donte Moncrief - WR - Rebels

Scouts will closely monitor the output of Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief at the NFL's Scouting Combine.

"Ole Miss coaches raved about his freakish athleticism, but he had only a so-so junior season before deciding to turn pro," wrote NFL.com's Mike Huguenin. "He has intriguing size, and if he runs well in the 40 -- most expect a sub-4.4 time -- it will bode well for his draft status." The 6-foot-3, 226-pounder collected 59 catches for 938 yards and six touchdowns last season. He's more talented than his collegiate production suggests, the primary reason that evaluators are hoping for excellent test numbers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/cfb/nfl-draft-player-news
So, being fairly unfamiliar with Abbrederis, I watched his highlights and I must say...I think this will be the guy we are talking about in 3 years saying, "Why didn't we draft him in stead of *******." If this guy is paired up with a QB like Brady or Rogers, he will kill it. He will become some QB's favorite early in his career. Please, no the Seahawks drafting him. He flat gets open, often making the DB look like a fool, and has great hands on top of that. He uses speed, but mostly phenomenal route running and sudden breaks to separate. He seem very unpredictable, really be wise beyond his years as a receiver. Would love to have him on the Niners. No to the Seahawks...this dude is a tough cover. He must be crushed at the LOS, if possible.
I've been hearing more and more about Quincy Enunwa from Nebraska, anybody have any insight on him? So far all I could find is that he is a team Captain, 6'2' 225 lbs, red-zone threat, strong run blocker, very long arms, from CA. Sounds like a good fit for us.
Considering the 49ers strategy of targeting specific "elements" in trying to fill voids on the team, I think they will target receivers that can get vertical. Boldin helped give us a strong option to win the battles on certain types of passes, but certainly didn't threaten teams deep with his speed. Without Moss and Ginn anymore, there was little concern for the 49ers passing deep. I see us targeting the following players at receiver, because of that:

Jarvis Landry, LSU - We love tough, versatile players. Landry is a playmaker with circus catch ability and can play inside & outside.

Donte Moncrief, Mississippi - Terrific blocker, great vertical threat who seems to never get caught from behind either.

Kelvin Benjamin, FSU - Extremely raw, but the team would draft him for where they believe he WILL be, not where he is now. The flashes he's shown while being only a sophomore made it clear he's only just getting started. He should not be judged solely where he's at right now. He has room to improve -- he does drop some easy ones and is a little unpolished as a blocker -- but his natural ability and surprisingly solid route running early on will give some team a LOT of reason to make him an early pick. I personally give him a 2nd round grade.

Martavis Bryant, Clemson - Another raw player but with "catch me if you can" speed. Bryant's size/speed combo make him a dangerous player any time he gets the ball. We love high-potential prospects, and Bryant is the kind of target Kaepernick can use his strong arm to launch passes to downfield.

Robert Herron, Wyoming - Thickly built player and more than a track star, he simply knows how to get open one on one and has that highly valuable combo of quickness and speed. Playing in the slot, that speed on the field with Vernon Davis, Crabtree, and Boldin would indubitably open up something for someone.

Odell Beckham, LSU - I'm personally not a big fan of Beckham, but could see the 49ers taking a chance if they think he is the best available guy that can give them the "stretch-the-field" element. He's not as good of a blocker as some of the prospects above, but the Niners may look past that if they think his other attributes compensate for that.

Those are the main names early I'd think we'd look at -- there are some others later on we could consider as well.
OTC--no Cooks? Do you feel he's too small to fit the Niner profile? Sure do love his numbers, though.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
OTC--no Cooks? Do you feel he's too small to fit the Niner profile? Sure do love his numbers, though.

And Davante Adams

I LOVE Watkins but he wont fall, I like Allen Robinson who might be there. I like Devante Adams who should be there in the 2nd round. I like Marquise Lee but he may not fall. I like Moncrief who should be there in the 3rd eound. I like Jordan Mathews who could be there in round one. Overall not a bad draft for WRs.
Not sure if this has been posted yet but Matt Barrows on Greg Cosell's thought on some of the big WR's in the 2014 draft :

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/02/think-big-a-ranking-of-wrs-who-fit-49ers-physical-style.html
Originally posted by jimrat:

And Davante Adams

Not sure they'd like Cooks that much, for whatever reason. Also think they may see Cooks as a player we wouldn't utilize enough to warrant a high selection. Beckham barely makes the cut because of our love for SEC talent and his return ability. Davante Adams is a talented player, but if they're looking for a major deep threat, he's not it. He can make tough catches, no doubt, but he's not a burner. The 49ers don't seem intent on straying from their strategy unless they're shocked a player is still available (like Patton was last year). My guess is if they're looking for a stretch the field element, they will pass on players they have not locked in on as "round targets". This has consistently been their strategy for the past few years.

In 2011, we added several "developmental projects", from early picks (Kaepernick - adjust to pro offense, Culliver - transition from safety to corner), to late ones (Kilgore - transition from T to C/G, Mike Person - transition from T to G, Bruce Miller - transition from DE to FB)

In 2012, it was "add speed" at positions of need (Jenkins, LMJ, Trenton Robinson)

In 2013, we added more developmental prospects that we knew would not play much right away (Carradine, Lattimore, Dial, Moody, Daniels)

This year? I think we go back to trying to add speed again, but we do it with the intention of maintaining team speed on defense, and for offense the idea is to give Kaepernick someone who he's comfortable with and can actually use that strong arm to throw to.
As a fan of the real FSU...that is...Fresno State University, and a former high school wideout
I find that EVERY receiver looks good to me. I really can't understand why more of these fast and talented guys can't do the job. A lot of times, it's opportunity, mixed with their QB's ability, mixed with toughness and "want to", but when I look at a guy like D. Adams, I can't understand how he can post these numbers and NOT be an impact player at the next level. I know college players aren't as good, but geez, he was dominant. And yet, busting is more common than starring in the league. The intangibles are the difference...the things that the Niners staff seems less able to see than some, regarding WRs. I was a huge fan of the Rashaun Woods pick, and my heart sank when they announced the selection of Jenkins. But, you really never know with WR. I will say, that if we picked a guy like Cooks, I, as the new OC, WOULD find a way to use him, without a doubt. That's what coaches do. Don't make them fit you...you fit your talent.
Originally posted by jimrat:

And Davante Adams

Not sure they'd like Cooks that much, for whatever reason. Also think they may see Cooks as a player we wouldn't utilize enough to warrant a high selection. Beckham barely makes the cut because of our love for SEC talent and his return ability. Davante Adams is a talented player, but if they're looking for a major deep threat, he's not it. He can make tough catches, no doubt, but he's not a burner. The 49ers don't seem intent on straying from their strategy unless they're shocked a player is still available (like Patton was last year). My guess is if they're looking for a stretch the field element, they will pass on players they have not locked in on as "round targets". This has consistently been their strategy for the past few years.

In 2011, we added several "developmental projects", from early picks (Kaepernick - adjust to pro offense, Culliver - transition from safety to corner), to late ones (Kilgore - transition from T to C/G, Mike Person - transition from T to G, Bruce Miller - transition from DE to FB)

In 2012, it was "add speed" at positions of need (Jenkins, LMJ, Trenton Robinson)

In 2013, we added more developmental prospects that we knew would not play much right away (Carradine, Lattimore, Dial, Moody, Daniels)

This year? I think we go back to trying to add speed again, but we do it with the intention of maintaining team speed on defense, and for offense the idea is to give Kaepernick someone who he's comfortable with and can actually use that strong arm to throw to.

I look at 2012 as an aberration from the norm, and not a repeating trend. I think Baalke tried to get too cute with the 2012 draft having had a success hangover from how well the team played that year and how well the 2011 rookie class performed. He adjusted back to the original philosophy in 2013 and we should see more this year.

My favorites in your list our Landry and Moncrief. Would love to see them get drafted, and then draft this years Patton, the guy that falls later.
Share 49ersWebzone