LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
when i look at the list of receivers and who the niners would have a realistic chance in taking, i hope we come away with at least 1 or 2 of the following:

1. Jarvis Landry
  2. Jordan Matthews
  3. Brandin Cooks
  4. Odell Beckham, Jr.
  5. Kelvin Benjamin
  6. Allen Robinson
  7. Davante Adams
  8. Donte Moncrief
  9. Martavis Bryant
  10. Josh Huff

I agree with the top end of that list... Landry, Cooks, and Mathews look like solid starters.

Landry is the guy that looks special to me. His ability to catch in traffic and go after the ball reminds me of Boldin.
Lots of people sleeping on Bruce Ellington. Kid is gonna be a good player in the NFL. Hopefully as a 49er.
Originally posted by sfout:
Well something is amiss with Benjamin whether it is his arm length or vertical or broad jump because according to Sports Science the difference in their catch radius is staggering despite physically similar traits in height and weight.

Benjamin: 3,100 cubic feet - http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2014/0103/dm_140103_ncf_sportscience_benjamin/dm_140103_ncf_sportscience_benjamin.jpg
Johnson: 4,009 cubic feet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTYsrbdnrs

I used the 8 heads high theory of body proportion, With a height of 6'5" -- Benjamin's arms are projected to be 34 inches long. Which puts him right about the 9 or 10 inch hands mark as well.

Compare that to Calvin Johnson's measurables
6'5" height
45-inch vertical jump
33 3/8-inch arm length - This is honestly the length I found reported on every draft site I could find.
9 7/8-inch hands.

Add it Crabtree's
6'1"
34-inch veritcal jump
34 1/4-in arch length - All of the draft sites said this is essentially the reach of someone who is 6'6"+
9 1/4-inch hands

Pretty sure I remember SS saying that Crabtree's catch radius in between 3,500 - 3,800 cubic feet. Someone correct me on this please.

We don't need another player like Benjamin unless he runs a sub 4.45. We already have 1 elite big catch radius guy under contract, 1 likely coming back, and 1 promising youngster of similar proportion. We need to go after much more dynamic players this year.

From the CBS site:

"STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level."

Maybe they are off...we'll see at the combine.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
From the CBS site:

"STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level."

Maybe they are off...we'll see at the combine.

lol I'm not off. I'm regurgitating what ESPN Sport Science has already calculated. They'd be the ones in the wrong for Benjamin's sake I'd like to see him test well.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Johnson has a wingspan around 6'8-6'10.

Wingspan is a fingertip to fingertip measurement with the arms out in either direction. It includes chest width in the measurement, strictly measuring arm length does not include chest width.

Like I said I looked it up on roughly 7 or 8 draft sites and that was the measurement for Calvin's arms in 2007. Maybe since then he grew another inch or two. He is a physical freak after all.

My whole point is just that if Johnson has arms + hands of that length and for him to have a 25% larger catch radius than Benjamin there has to be something really holding Benjamin back and I'm very interested to see how he tests.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM ]
His arms are very long, so the catch radius is gigantic.

Well something is amiss with Benjamin whether it is his arm length or vertical or broad jump because according to Sports Science the difference in their catch radius is staggering despite physically similar traits in height and weight.

Benjamin: 3,100 cubic feet - http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2014/0103/dm_140103_ncf_sportscience_benjamin/dm_140103_ncf_sportscience_benjamin.jpg
Johnson: 4,009 cubic feet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTYsrbdnrs

I used the 8 heads high theory of body proportion, With a height of 6'5" -- Benjamin's arms are projected to be 34 inches long. Which puts him right about the 9 or 10 inch hands mark as well.

Compare that to Calvin Johnson's measurables
6'5" height
45-inch vertical jump
33 3/8-inch arm length - This is honestly the length I found reported on every draft site I could find.
9 7/8-inch hands.

Add it Crabtree's
6'1"
34-inch veritcal jump
34 1/4-in arch length - All of the draft sites said this is essentially the reach of someone who is 6'6"+
9 1/4-inch hands

Pretty sure I remember SS saying that Crabtree's catch radius in between 3,500 - 3,800 cubic feet. Someone correct me on this please.

We don't need another player like Benjamin unless he runs a sub 4.45. We already have 1 elite big catch radius guy under contract, 1 likely coming back, and 1 promising youngster of similar proportion. We need to go after much more dynamic players this year.

In my opinion, I don't feel it's fair to say we don't need another big receiver with a big catch radius. I personally think you can ALWAYS use more talent. My example is -- if we could have two Brandon Marshalls or two Alshon Jeffery's or two Crabtrees, I'd be all for that any day of the week.

I understand we all would love to have the perfect balance of the varieties of skill sets and "player types" there are, but I would never be too upset to land a big-time prospect that our team believes they can mold into a star. A team always needs to stack its roster with talent.

Right now there are a number of players, big & physical, quick and speedy, compact & tough, etc. I'd love to have here. I admit I have been quite intrigued with the flashes I've seen from Benjamin. As a sophomore, he has so much room to grow once he gets into the NFL. Does he fit on the 49ers? I think he can, but ultimately, that's up for Baalke & company to decide.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In my opinion, I don't feel it's fair to say we don't need another big receiver with a big catch radius. I personally think you can ALWAYS use more talent. My example is -- if we could have two Brandon Marshalls or two Alshon Jeffery's or two Crabtrees, I'd be all for that any day of the week.

I understand we all would love to have the perfect balance of the varieties of skill sets and "player types" there are, but I would never be too upset to land a big-time prospect that our team believes they can mold into a star. A team always needs to stack its roster with talent.

Right now there are a number of players, big & physical, quick and speedy, compact & tough, etc. I'd love to have here. I admit I have been quite intrigued with the flashes I've seen from Benjamin. As a sophomore, he has so much room to grow once he gets into the NFL. Does he fit on the 49ers? I think he can, but ultimately, that's up for Baalke & company to decide.

Agreed, I'm not saying we don't need one receiver like him. I'm saying at his projected selection we would probably be better off getting a more NFL ready receiver who likely won't need as much transition as it seems Benjamin may need.

If we drafted Benjamin in the 1st or 2nd I'd still be thrilled beyond words.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM ]

Agree with this and wonder who people see on the 9ers as a "big" receiver? VD? He's a TE. Baldwin? Hasn't proven anything except that KC didn't want him. Crabtree and Boldin are both medium size guys. If Benjamin is as fast as some seem to think he is I can't believe the negative attitude for him except, as Phoenix mentioned, drops. And we have seen with VD that drops can be reduced with proper coaching and effort. Would love to see the niners take a guys like this and a smaller speedster as well...two types of WRs they don't have.
lol I'm not off. I'm regurgitating what ESPN Sport Science has already calculated. They'd be the ones in the wrong for Benjamin's sake I'd like to see him test well.

I was suggesting that one of the sites is off--not you.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I was suggesting that one of the sites is off--not you.

I know lol hence the lol and emoticon. Hopefully through training Benjamin has increased his range and burst to prove them wrong.

Agreed, I'm not saying we don't need one receiver like him. I'm saying at his projected selection we would probably be better off getting a more NFL ready receiver who likely won't need as much transition as it seems Benjamin may need.

If we drafted Benjamin in the 1st or 2nd I'd still be thrilled beyond words.

Totally understand, that makes perfect sense. I would be happy either way too. We all have our favorites and differing opinions on what level of "NFL-readiness" makes a player a better pick at each spot. I think it will depend who all is still on the board at our picks. One thing's for sure, this is going to be a very, very exciting draft!

Agree with this and wonder who people see on the 9ers as a "big" receiver? VD? He's a TE. Baldwin? Hasn't proven anything except that KC didn't want him. Crabtree and Boldin are both medium size guys. If Benjamin is as fast as some seem to think he is I can't believe the negative attitude for him except, as Phoenix mentioned, drops. And we have seen with VD that drops can be reduced with proper coaching and effort. Would love to see the niners take a guys like this and a smaller speedster as well...two types of WRs they don't have.

Agreed. I want us to infuse this receiving group with some talent. Let them learn from Boldin and Crabtree (if Boldin returns). Add tons of talent and let the best players win themselves a spot on the team.

• buck
  • Veteran
We need better receivers.

Better does not mean tall, short, fast, or slow.
I barely watch college ball, but I'm watching Benjamin's highlights and I really like the kid. The one thing I can see being is an issue is that he does not protect the ball when he is trying to break tackles.
Originally posted by northoakland510:
I barely watch college ball, but I'm watching Benjamin's highlights and I really like the kid. The one thing I can see being is an issue is that he does not protect the ball when he is trying to break tackles.

if there were videos that showed his lowlights of dropping passes, slow get off, lack of fluidity, then it might make you question taking him in the 1st
Originally posted by buck:

Definitely, but it never hurts to bring in variety and numbers when you are having difficulty filling a spot! Taking a chance on a Benjamin could be a home run or a whiff...but it's worth taking an educated chance. The one thing no one has mentioned lately is attitude and desire...those are the biggest requirements...which is why I like Matthews.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Definitely, but it never hurts to bring in variety and numbers when you are having difficulty filling a spot! Taking a chance on a Benjamin could be a home run or a whiff...but it's worth taking an educated chance. The one thing no one has mentioned lately is attitude and desire...those are the biggest requirements...which is why I like Matthews.

I agree.

Attitude, work ethic, drive, whatever IT is called, is key.
Share 49ersWebzone