LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

is trading our #1 for Josh Gordon still an option?

kaep looks like a persian
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I would be if we got Davante Adams and Bradin Cooks and have Cooks as our slot WR/KR-PR
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't done exhaustive research on this, but in looking back at some of the WRs who have made big plays against the Seahawks secondary this year, there's generally one thing in common...speed.

TY Hilton - From the right slot, Sherman releases Hilton to Chancellor who loses him; Hilton catches it in front of Thomas who over-runs the play; 73 yard TD
TY Hilton - One-on-one against Browner, Hilton ate up the cushion and blew right by him for a 29 yard TD; perfectly placed ball where only TY could reach it
Cecil Shorts - from the slot, faked an inside route, Sherman let him go and he took off up the seam for 59 yard reception (Thomas was late covering)
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright right fakes an out right and cuts up-field, running by Sherman (who reaches to grab him, but it's too late) for the TD
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright gets behind the LBs and in front of Thomas for a 21 yard score
Tiquan Underwood - from a stack formation on the right, Underwood runs across the field and catches a 20 yard TD (Thomas was late)
Michael Floyd - One-on-one against Maxwell outside, Floyd gets a clean release and Palmer throws a dime over Floyd's shoulder for a game-winning TD

There are other factors of course (like moving Thomas out of position so he can't recover as quickly) and other TDs scored against their defense, but the weakness definitely seems to be speedy WRs who can get by the first defender and make plays with the ball in the air. Something we don't have. Don't get me wrong, we have great big-bodied WRs with excellent hands and toughness, but we have ZERO speed to threaten downfield. Seattle plays us in a phone booth every time because they have nothing to fear downfield with the exception of Vernon.

IMO, we should take a long look at guys like Odell Beckham (reminds me a lot of Hilton, though a little thicker) and Donte Moncrief (much like Floyd); guys who you can move around, get free in the secondary and make big plays downfield.

Great post Ghost. We need a quick speedy WR (rather than a 6'4 220lb one) who can line up in slot and beat them deep.

I like Beckham and Moncrief a lot. I also like Abbrederis from Wisconsin. What I like about Jared a lot is - he's fearing working the middle of the field and can burn you deep. IMO - that's what we need. I've only seen him play like 5-6 times in two years...but he looked good. What is your opinion of him?
Originally posted by 4ML:

I like Beckham and Moncrief a lot. I also like Abbrederis from Wisconsin. What I like about Jared a lot is - he's fearing working the middle of the field and can burn you deep. IMO - that's what we need. I've only seen him play like 5-6 times in two years...but he looked good. What is your opinion of him?
i love you because you love my man ;)
I have a feeling we'll go with Cooks or Lee to stretch the field. Both could play well in the slot immediately.

I think Kaep's comments about forcing Seattle's nickel defense and testing the depth of their secondary is something the team will look to exploit in the future.
  • buck
  • Veteran
ESPN's Louis Riddick said on NFL Insiders Monday that he's heard the Chiefs are "very excited about" third-year WR A.J. Jenkins.

Riddick worked in Philadelphia's front office alongside much of Kansas City's current coaching staff, so he has notable ties. Acquired from the 49ers in exchange for Jon Baldwin last August, Jenkins showed some flashes in his first season with the Chiefs, posting a 3-67 line in Week 17 and catching a 27-yard pass in K.C.'s playoff loss.

Still only 24 years old, there's an outside chance Jenkins could push to start opposite Dwayne Bowe in 2014. [/i]

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1&rw=1

If AJ Jenkins does become starter in KC, I am going to rethink some things.
Kyle Williams was #2 WR here, remember anyone?
Originally posted by buck:
ESPN's Louis Riddick said on NFL Insiders Monday that he's heard the Chiefs are "very excited about" third-year WR A.J. Jenkins.

Riddick worked in Philadelphia's front office alongside much of Kansas City's current coaching staff, so he has notable ties. Acquired from the 49ers in exchange for Jon Baldwin last August, Jenkins showed some flashes in his first season with the Chiefs, posting a 3-67 line in Week 17 and catching a 27-yard pass in K.C.'s playoff loss.

Still only 24 years old, there's an outside chance Jenkins could push to start opposite Dwayne Bowe in 2014. [/i]

Yes rethink how just about everyone gave up on him after 1 yr ...very sad he deserved more of a shot here along with WR probably being tha toughest position when translating frm college to NFL but no one gave a sh*t around here. ...
Guys, cool down. For now, it is just an opinion. And even if he starts, he still have to produce on a constant basis.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

[b]If[/b] AJ Jenkins does become starter in KC, I am going to rethink some things.

Yes rethink how just about everyone gave up on him after 1 yr ...very sad he deserved more of a shot here along with WR probably being tha toughest position when translating frm college to NFL but no one gave a sh*t around here. ...

There is a really big IF...that can not be forgotten easily.

LOL! Yes, I'll have to restructure my idea of power rankings for next year! But who knows? A different system and coaching staff may do wonders. If he does improve then I hope the niners are rethinking their WR coach.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't done exhaustive research on this, but in looking back at some of the WRs who have made big plays against the Seahawks secondary this year, there's generally one thing in common...speed.

TY Hilton - From the right slot, Sherman releases Hilton to Chancellor who loses him; Hilton catches it in front of Thomas who over-runs the play; 73 yard TD
TY Hilton - One-on-one against Browner, Hilton ate up the cushion and blew right by him for a 29 yard TD; perfectly placed ball where only TY could reach it
Cecil Shorts - from the slot, faked an inside route, Sherman let him go and he took off up the seam for 59 yard reception (Thomas was late covering)
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright right fakes an out right and cuts up-field, running by Sherman (who reaches to grab him, but it's too late) for the TD
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright gets behind the LBs and in front of Thomas for a 21 yard score
Tiquan Underwood - from a stack formation on the right, Underwood runs across the field and catches a 20 yard TD (Thomas was late)
Michael Floyd - One-on-one against Maxwell outside, Floyd gets a clean release and Palmer throws a dime over Floyd's shoulder for a game-winning TD

There are other factors of course (like moving Thomas out of position so he can't recover as quickly) and other TDs scored against their defense, but the weakness definitely seems to be speedy WRs who can get by the first defender and make plays with the ball in the air. Something we don't have. Don't get me wrong, we have great big-bodied WRs with excellent hands and toughness, but we have ZERO speed to threaten downfield. Seattle plays us in a phone booth every time because they have nothing to fear downfield with the exception of Vernon.

IMO, we should take a long look at guys like Odell Beckham (reminds me a lot of Hilton, though a little thicker) and Donte Moncrief (much like Floyd); guys who you can move around, get free in the secondary and make big plays downfield.

Great post Ghost. We need a quick speedy WR (rather than a 6'4 220lb one) who can line up in slot and beat them deep.

Abbrederis is faster than people give him credit for and would be perfect against Seattle's defense. He's a precise route-runner and sets people up beautifully (see his handiwork against Roby) in a way that reminds me of what Steve Largent used to do against DBs. Someone like JA and/or a vertical threat like the guys mentioned above or a Robert Herron (favorite of Phoenix) would open things up for our offense.

I may be in the minority but I always felt we gave up on him way too soon. Ok now back to the draft. I really want moncrief. He reminds me a lot of Josh Gordon
After reviewing hours of some of the top prospects again, I've reshuffled my WR board. New top 10 before the combine:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
After reviewing hours of some of the top prospects again, I've reshuffled my WR board. New top 10 before the combine:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

Looks like you've flipped Evans and Moncrief from most Mocks I've seen. Do you have rounds in mind?
Share 49ersWebzone