LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

It's a funny thing about Dri Archer. I'm not going to pretend like I watch Kent State games during the season but seeing his highlight video certainly peaked my interest. I've went back to look at this kid and outside of the fact that he played at Kent State and not LSU or USC or the other prominent DIV I schools and some injury issues this year I don't see what makes this kid any less explosive than a guy like Tavon Austin.

Obviously with the production at the lower level is what drops him. Austin was very consistent and doing it vs top competition. But I look at Archer's tape and that speed is nasty and for a little guy he plays very tough. A kid like that instantly makes a team very dangerous in the return game and in a pinch could help in a Darren Sproles like position.

A lot of places keep throwing him out there in the 7th round(that website that generates the draft and lets you trade grades every pick and even in the 7th round they give that kid an F for a grade) to me that type of speed gets a guy drafted higher by default and I like what I've seen from him.

Certainly not someone you take top 10 like Austin. Or even someone you take on the first 2 days of the draft. But I'd have no problem if the 49ers drafted him in the 4th round, mostly because we have 6 picks in the first 3 as it is. If they could get him even later I'd be even happier.

As for my like of Bruce Ellington I think he'd make a great addition to us. He's not necessarily a deep threat guy but I think he could do that if it came down to it. He's a better fit at slot where his quick moves would allow him to score from anywhere. He also plays very tough and reminds me a lot of Steve Smith. Plus he's proven he can play vs some good teams.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
What you need is an offensive game plan. We have a 100 different ways to run the ball with creative formations and blockers in motion, you name it. Our passing game is very vanilla.

We could put speed receivers in motion to make it harder to stop them at the line. We can stack receivers at the line to make it harder to try and jam both. We could put Vernon Davis out wide as a lone receiver. Who wants to jam him and cover him one on one? He's bigger , stronger and faster than anyone seattle has. If you want to jam him you had better have a safety over the top. That would give our 2 WR's on the other side single coverage and they wouldn't dare try to jam both at the line. How do you play 1 deep safety in the middle against that formation? We need more speed but we also need a better game plan.

Seattle is a great team but they are beatable, especially on the road. It is a huge advantage to be home and have the offensive line wearing earplugs. How are you supposed to get off on a snap count to drive block in the run or pass protect. Huge advantage. I remember the days when the officials would stop the game and insist the crowd quiet down or they would give the home team a 5 yard penalty. Now we are allowing a team like seattle to specifically design their stadium to increase crowd noise. What the hell. Loud fans are 1 thing but that is going to far and should be against the league rules.

Every year we hear the rumblings that Roman will be offered a head coaching job. The offensive coordinator for a team that went to 3 straight championship games including a superbowl. Yet he is still here. Maybe the rest of the league isn't that impressed with our offensive game plans.

Agreed with everything you said. Good post. If we were as creative in the passing game as we are in the running game, we could really be a very difficult offense to stop.

And yeah the noise in Seattle is ridiculous. Fans should not be able to impact a game to the point that the offense can't even communicate with one another because they can't hear. They seriously need to install mics in all offensive players helmets so they can at least f**king talk to each other and hear each other. Either that, or every NFL stadium needs to be designed like Seattle's to contain that kind of noise. Oh and every NFL secondary should hold like Seattle's as well and they better call it the same way. Need to even the playing field. Getting very off topic, but I get so worked up over the things they get away with and how big of an advantage they have with these shady tactics.

You really want to get mad?

Seattle specifically designs their stadium to increase crowd noise.

Their defensive game plan is to purposefully hold because they know it will only be called about 10% of the time and even them it's just a measly 5 yards.

They lead the league in penalties.

They lead the league in busts for illegal performance enhancing substances.

This season we lost 3 players to season ending injuries that were " rolled up on". Injured because opposing players went into their legs from the side or behind. All 3 happened against seattle. Not 1 in the other 16 games we played but 3 in the 3 seattle games. The rest of the league the odds are less than 1 every 16 games but vs seattle 1 every game. Is that by design or just coincedence?

Not seeing a whole lot of character in this organization.

Sherman proved it even more..Seattle as a whole has no class and are dirty players who cheat..now as for wr like this thread is about..what we need is a big fast athletic player who takes the top off defenses and provides crabtree and boldin relief as possession receivers who have great hands and run great routes..i love Allen Robinson who should run in the 4.5s..also if we happen to trade up for a receiver it has to be either Lee or if possible which I doubt Watkins..i see us trading up but for a cb in the 1st..then addressing receiver in the 2nd..ill take Allen Robinson..then Martavis Bryant in the 4th who I think will kill the combine..
I would love to see us draft 2 WR's in this draft and at least 1 has top notch deep threat speed. It takes time to develop WR's at the nfl level. That would give us Crabtree and Boldin with Patton in the slot and 2 talented rookies to groom and work in to the line-up. It would also give us depth. Other teams can hurt you with their 3rd or 4th or even 5th WR and we get someone hurt and have nothing. Guys like Baldwin are dead space on a roster. We have not had a talented receiving core in over 10 years. This past season was the 1st time we had 2 legit starters and we only had that for half a season. If we had depth we might have won 1 or 2 more games. 1 more win gives us the division title, a bye week and home field advantage through the playoffs. We would be in the superbowl.
What you need is an offensive game plan. We have a 100 different ways to run the ball with creative formations and blockers in motion, you name it. Our passing game is very vanilla.

We could put speed receivers in motion to make it harder to stop them at the line. We can stack receivers at the line to make it harder to try and jam both. We could put Vernon Davis out wide as a lone receiver. Who wants to jam him and cover him one on one? He's bigger , stronger and faster than anyone seattle has. If you want to jam him you had better have a safety over the top. That would give our 2 WR's on the other side single coverage and they wouldn't dare try to jam both at the line. How do you play 1 deep safety in the middle against that formation? We need more speed but we also need a better game plan.

Seattle is a great team but they are beatable, especially on the road. It is a huge advantage to be home and have the offensive line wearing earplugs. How are you supposed to get off on a snap count to drive block in the run or pass protect. Huge advantage. I remember the days when the officials would stop the game and insist the crowd quiet down or they would give the home team a 5 yard penalty. Now we are allowing a team like seattle to specifically design their stadium to increase crowd noise. What the hell. Loud fans are 1 thing but that is going to far and should be against the league rules.

Every year we hear the rumblings that Roman will be offered a head coaching job. The offensive coordinator for a team that went to 3 straight championship games including a superbowl. Yet he is still here. Maybe the rest of the league isn't that impressed with our offensive game plans.

Agreed with everything you said. Good post. If we were as creative in the passing game as we are in the running game, we could really be a very difficult offense to stop.

And yeah the noise in Seattle is ridiculous. Fans should not be able to impact a game to the point that the offense can't even communicate with one another because they can't hear. They seriously need to install mics in all offensive players helmets so they can at least f**king talk to each other and hear each other. Either that, or every NFL stadium needs to be designed like Seattle's to contain that kind of noise. Oh and every NFL secondary should hold like Seattle's as well and they better call it the same way. Need to even the playing field. Getting very off topic, but I get so worked up over the things they get away with and how big of an advantage they have with these shady tactics.

Their defensive game plan is to purposefully hold because they know it will only be called about 10% of the time and even them it's just a measly 5 yards.

This season we lost 3 players to season ending injuries that were " rolled up on". Injured because opposing players went into their legs from the side or behind. All 3 happened against seattle. Not 1 in the other 16 games we played but 3 in the 3 seattle games. The rest of the league the odds are less than 1 every 16 games but vs seattle 1 every game. Is that by design or just coincedence?

Sherman proved it even more..Seattle as a whole has no class and are dirty players who cheat..now as for wr like this thread is about..what we need is a big fast athletic player who takes the top off defenses and provides crabtree and boldin relief as possession receivers who have great hands and run great routes..i love Allen Robinson who should run in the 4.5s..also if we happen to trade up for a receiver it has to be either Lee or if possible which I doubt Watkins..i see us trading up but for a cb in the 1st..then addressing receiver in the 2nd..ill take Allen Robinson..then Martavis Bryant in the 4th who I think will kill the combine..
I would love to see us draft 2 WR's in this draft and at least 1 has top notch deep threat speed. It takes time to develop WR's at the nfl level. That would give us Crabtree and Boldin with Patton in the slot and 2 talented rookies to groom and work in to the line-up. It would also give us depth. Other teams can hurt you with their 3rd or 4th or even 5th WR and we get someone hurt and have nothing. Guys like Baldwin are dead space on a roster. We have not had a talented receiving core in over 10 years. This past season was the 1st time we had 2 legit starters and we only had that for half a season. If we had depth we might have won 1 or 2 more games. 1 more win gives us the division title, a bye week and home field advantage through the playoffs. We would be in the superbowl.

I agree..reading the end of what you wrote about division title and a bye and home field advantage made me shake my head n curse lol bc we would have had that if the officials didnt screw us every week on huge plays but that's another thread lol but yes having boldin n crabtree a whole season will be amazing..we only got a preview of what is I hope to come..n patton only played 6 games but those 6 games proved he has lots of potential..
Something to also think about....imo speed receivers tend to make a bigger impact earlier in their careers for the most part.

The guys who use their size to make catches take longer because they have to get the playbook down pat, work on their technique, route running and adjusting to the bigger guys in the NFL.

Speed guys take time as well but at least when they're still wet behind the ears they can get snaps in the game and pretty much just "go deep and catch the ball" instructions. Whether they actually do or just draw coverage their way allows them to make an impact earlier.
Originally posted by genus49:
Something to also think about....imo speed receivers tend to make a bigger impact earlier in their careers for the most part.

The guys who use their size to make catches take longer because they have to get the playbook down pat, work on their technique, route running and adjusting to the bigger guys in the NFL.

Speed guys take time as well but at least when they're still wet behind the ears they can get snaps in the game and pretty much just "go deep and catch the ball" instructions. Whether they actually do or just draw coverage their way allows them to make an impact earlier.

which is exactly why id by far take a mike crabtree type of player over a mike Wallace type..is Wallace cant burn you he is going to have a hard day..where crabtree can hurt you on excellent routes and schemes

I agree..reading the end of what you wrote about division title and a bye and home field advantage made me shake my head n curse lol bc we would have had that if the officials didnt screw us every week on huge plays but that's another thread lol but yes having boldin n crabtree a whole season will be amazing..we only got a preview of what is I hope to come..n patton only played 6 games but those 6 games proved he has lots of potential..
I like Patton's potential but we still need depth. If any of the 3 get hurt the shelf is empty. We need 2 young WR's to add depth and develop. With Kap having such a strong arm at least 1 should have deep threat speed and maybe the other be an understudy to Boldin.
which is exactly why id by far take a mike crabtree type of player over a mike Wallace type..is Wallace cant burn you he is going to have a hard day..where crabtree can hurt you on excellent routes and schemes

Wallace's issue isn't that he can't hurt teams without going deep...it's that now that he got paid that's all he wants to do. Guy is soft and has no desire to work hard. Back when he was trying to earn his big contract he was quite deadly taking short passes from Ben to the house.

My point wasn't to say a speed guy can't help the team everywhere else. It's just that guys with speed can help quicker but take time to develop their whole game like the other guys. We need speed to compliment the other guys we have.

Of course we'll also need Greg Roman to actually use the other receivers. Considering how well Ted Ginn did for Carolina I don't want to hear about how it's all due to bad receivers on this team.
Surprising no mention of Josh Huff and Jeff Janis.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Surprising no mention of Josh Huff and Jeff Janis.

Too many question marks with both of them. They'd make intriguing late round picks but certainly not the first receivers you want to see the niners take on draft day.
Too many question marks with both of them. They'd make intriguing late round picks but certainly not the first receivers you want to see the niners take on draft day.

I have Huff as a late 3rd round pick. But who knows. This draft filled with receivers, it all depends who's drafting. Teams with speedster WR's will draft the big possession type receiver and the vice versa.

Personally I'd draft and gamble with speed. Worst case scenario we have a nice KR/PR

I'd take Huff, not sold on Janis at all, people have been hyping the crap out of him for awhile due to his size and speed, but I'm not sold on him, didn't really do much to help himself at the Senior Bowl.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd take Huff, not sold on Janis at all, people have been hyping the crap out of him for awhile due to his size and speed, but I'm not sold on him, didn't really do much to help himself at the Senior Bowl.

I agree.
Big strong receiver or Speed receiver.

Just want a receiver that can get it done.
Originally posted by pd24:
I think we should have a mix. I would take 2 WR's this draft and I would go Brandin Cooks and Martavis Bryant, both in round 2. Maybe Bryant in the 3rd, but I think he has a good combine and he gets to a 2nd round spot.

This!!! And Moncrief and well be set at wr for a few years have them 4 ( Patton) develop behind boldin and Crabtree and have them walk a year or 2 down.
I would take a shot on Kevin Norwood, who played well during the Senior Bowl. He battled through turf toe his junior year.
Share 49ersWebzone