There are 218 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
TY Hilton has a QB who can read the field, go through progressions and make an accurate throw from the pocket.....

This thread is about wide receivers.

Your thread got locked because people kept turning a thread on wide receivers into a polemic on Kaepernick.

Please, everyone, stop inserting Kaepernick into this thread.
No. They will just maul him at the line of scrimmage and he won't even get 5 yards.

Like they mauled TY Hilton? How did that one work out for them?
TY Hilton has a QB who can read the field, go through progressions and make an accurate throw from the pocket.....

You really need to stop trolling.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You really need to stop trolling.

That's impossible lol.
GUYS I LIKE:

I am really liking Allen Robinson the more I learn about him. Big, Fast, strong. Should be there at #30.

Jordan Matthews looks like a stud. Cousin of Jerry Rice is exciting to think about, but more than that hes a gamer. Should be there at #30 maybe our 2nd round pick.

Cody Hoffman is a big strong guy with great hands. Holds every passing record at BYU, which has created some good players (Collie, Pitta). Could be there in the 3 or 4th.

I dont think we will trade up for watkins/evans/ or lee.

GUYS I DONT LIKE:

Davante Adams looks slow in the open field.. maybe i just saw bad tape.

Kelvin Benjamin is huge but does not have the best hands. Very raw. We dont need a project.

But imo we sign Boldin for 2 years and go CB in the 1st.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Which wide receivers have put up the greatest production against the best competition? Out of those guys, which wide receivers have the best combination of speed and quickness.

To beat Seattle's DBs, we need to target a receiver that has been very successful against the top competition and is also very quick and fast. Sammy Watkins is one guy I know that meets these requirements. We probably don't have a shot at trading up for him. Mike Evans, the next wide receiver on a lot of peoples boards, does not meet these requirements.

What other guys have the combination of production vs high level competition and great speed and quickness?

Not a lot of 6' 3"+ burners out there, but speed without skill is useless in the NFL anyway.

Realistically, the best speed/height combination receiver that faced high-level defensive competition in 2013 (that would be reachable for us) is Kelvin Benjamin (6' 5"). But if he kills it at the combine (and I really think he'll run in the mid-to-high 4.4 range as a worst-case scenario), he might not be reachable without trading up quite a bit. He's really raw, but I think his potential (with the right coaching staff) is limitless. If he's coached up properly and paired with the right QB, think Alshon Jeffery with MUCH more open-field elusiveness. I like him as a situational player in his first year. However, if we have to replace Boldin, we should look elsewhere...he's a project.

Mike Evans won't be there without trading up, and although he fits the mold of "big-bodied target," he plays the basketball box-out game more than I like for our offense. Besides his ball skills, he really doesn't really jump off the tape, but you can't argue with results. Personally, I'm not sure another 50/50 ball receiver is what we need right now.

I really like Donte Moncrief. He's reachable; he's played against top competition coming out of Ole Miss, and although he doesn't look like an honest-to-goodness burner on tape (I still like his chances to run high 4.4s-low 4.5s), he's faster than he looks, and plays extremely tough football.

Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews (both 6' 3") are two other options I like, although I see both as being more of the Crabtree mold than that of say, A.J. Green.
[ Edited by au8277 on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by au8277:
Which wide receivers have put up the greatest production against the best competition? Out of those guys, which wide receivers have the best combination of speed and quickness.

To beat Seattle's DBs, we need to target a receiver that has been very successful against the top competition and is also very quick and fast. Sammy Watkins is one guy I know that meets these requirements. We probably don't have a shot at trading up for him. Mike Evans, the next wide receiver on a lot of peoples boards, does not meet these requirements.

What other guys have the combination of production vs high level competition and great speed and quickness?

Not a lot of 6' 3"+ burners out there, but speed without skill is useless in the NFL anyway.

Realistically, the best speed/height combination receiver that faced high-level defensive competition in 2013 (that would be reachable for us) is Kelvin Benjamin (6' 5"). But if he kills it at the combine (and I really think he'll run in the mid-to-high 4.4 range as a worst-case scenario), he might not be reachable without trading up quite a bit. He's really raw, but I think his potential (with the right coaching staff) is limitless. If he's coached up properly and paired with the right QB, think Alshon Jeffery with MUCH more open-field elusiveness. I like him as a situational player in his first year. However, if we have to replace Boldin, we should look elsewhere...he's a project.

Mike Evans won't be there without trading up, and although he fits the mold of "big-bodied target," he plays the basketball box-out game more than I like for our offense. Besides his ball skills, he really doesn't really jump off the tape, but you can't argue with results. Personally, I'm not sure another 50/50 ball receiver is what we need right now.

I really like Donte Moncrief. He's reachable; he's played against top competition coming out of Ole Miss, and although he doesn't look like an honest-to-goodness burner on tape (I still like his chances to run high 4.4s-low 4.5s), he's faster than he looks, and plays extremely tough football.

Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews (both 6' 3") are two other options I like, although I see both as being more of the Crabtree mold than that of say, A.J. Green.

The Combine will, to a great extent, settle some of the questions about who has long speed--and who does not.

Looking down the road, Crabtree--Matthews/Robinson--Patton seems better than good.

One more, maybe a burner would be nice--and we have the picks to get one.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by au8277:

The Combine will, to a great extent, settle some of the questions about who has long speed--and who does not.

Looking down the road, Crabtree--Matthews/Robinson--Patton seems better than good.

One more, maybe a burner would be nice--and we have the picks to get one.

I think that the combine will settle the speed question at least as far as timing goes. The other part is the willingness to go get the ball and catch it with their hands. So to me that means taht they have to have a specific mindset of fighting to get the ball and laying out for the ball. Now I don't know who the most aggressive WRs are but both the WRs from LSU seem to be aggressive and will fight for the ball, literally. So good hands, good speed, football intelligence, and aggressiveness to get the ball all need to be taken into account. So I see us taking two or three WRs to get this position settled for a while. I like Beckham, and Landry and it sounds as if Apprederias are all aggressive WRs. Hopefully this draft we will get the players we need to be competitive and consistent. Hopefully Patton will develop that trust with Kaep.
No. They will just maul him at the line of scrimmage and he won't even get 5 yards.
You cannot maul a fast receiver who indeed can use his speed to his advantage because he won't be caught. I don't say that we should get rid of our possession receivers, they can pass block against the next DB they see.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I think that the combine will settle the speed question at least as far as timing goes. The other part is the willingness to go get the ball and catch it with their hands. So to me that means taht they have to have a specific mindset of fighting to get the ball and laying out for the ball. Now I don't know who the most aggressive WRs are but both the WRs from LSU seem to be aggressive and will fight for the ball, literally. So good hands, good speed, football intelligence, and aggressiveness to get the ball all need to be taken into account. So I see us taking two or three WRs to get this position settled for a while. I like Beckham, and Landry and it sounds as if Apprederias are all aggressive WRs. Hopefully this draft we will get the players we need to be competitive and consistent. Hopefully Patton will develop that trust with Kaep.

Apprederias

Do you mean

Jared Abbrederis Wisconsin 6-2 190

• pd24
  • Veteran
What about Brandin Cooks?
Originally posted by buck:
Apprederias

Do you mean

Jared Abbrederis Wisconsin 6-2 190
Abracadabra?
Originally posted by pd24:
What about Brandin Cooks?

Yeah he's suppose to be pretty quick and fast
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Abracadabra?
Everytime I'm reading Moncrief, I must think about queefs
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think we should have a mix. I would take 2 WR's this draft and I would go Brandin Cooks and Martavis Bryant, both in round 2. Maybe Bryant in the 3rd, but I think he has a good combine and he gets to a 2nd round spot.
Share 49ersWebzone