LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

i mentioned him a few months ago as someone we could be targeting that is technically under the radar. beckham gets a lot of the attention because of his speed/explosion, but landry has such strong hands and ball control.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Not sure what this list signifies. Can you explain it? Thanks.

I'm guessing all the early entry projection, which looks pretty realistic.

I seriously doubt there will be 7 WRS in the first round. Watkins, Lee and Evans are for sure first rounders but after that no guarantees. I see a run in the 2nd for guys like Beckham, Robinson, Cooks, Adams, Benjamin, and Richardson. (although 1 or 2 could sneak into the bottom of the 1st)

A layout that Matt Miller provided hope you enjoy (pre-combine)
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM ]
Same here. Don't see 7-8 receivers going in the first. Watkins, Evans, Lee, Cooks and possibly Benjamin could go in the first.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Not sure what this list signifies. Can you explain it? Thanks.

I'm guessing all the early entry projection, which looks pretty realistic.

I seriously doubt there will be 7 WRS in the first round. Watkins, Lee and Evans are for sure first rounders but after that no guarantees. I see a run in the 2nd for guys like Beckham, Robinson, Cooks, Adams, Benjamin, and Richardson. (although 1 or 2 could sneak into the bottom of the 1st)

I think it's more so about talent. There are some years where there is more first round talent (guys who are ready to come in and contribute or have overwhelming talent) than there are picks, which pushes them down into the second. The way I see it, yes there are that many legit first round prospects at receiver. The reason they all won't go is because as I said, sometimes there is more talent than there are picks or a team just doesn't need a receiver. Because of this I think we can sit where we are (hopefully 32) and draft a quality receiver should we go that route in the first round.
Jordan Matthews
Brandon Coleman
Shaq Evans

Let's take it to the bank
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
When evaluating and comparing player speed based on 40 yard dash times, it is important to keep in mind that the 40 yard dash time recorded at scouting combine and pro day events is not truly "official" as in completely correct. Timing methods vary, but most involve at least one manual process performed by a human and thus prone to error. In addition to being slightly inaccurate because of human involvement, there is not an established standard on how 40 yard dash times at the NFL Combine are reported.

The facts below describe in detail how the process of recording a 40 yard dash at the NFL Combine really works:

1. Each participant is given 2 attempts at the 40 yard dash and is timed with 3 different stopwatches on each run, however only one of those stopwatches is "electronic."

2. The electronic timing is not fully electronic. The stopwatch is started by a human, and it is important to understand that it is started by human hands on the first movement of the 40 yard dash participant. That means that there is always room for human error, though less than if it were fully hand-timed.

3. Since each player runs the 40 twice, there would be no single "official" time even if only the electronic times are used.

You may notice that different sources of NFL Scouting Combine data report slightly different 40 yard dash times. For example, the NFL.com website combine data reports different 40 times than NFL Combine Results, which are both different from other sources providing 40 yard dash times. This discrepancy is because of the differences in how 40 yard dash times are reported.

The fact that each participant has 6 "officially" recorded 40 times (4 manual, 2 electronic) explains why reports of 40 times vary depending on which scouts you ask. Some scouts may use an average of all 6 times and report that. Other scouts may use an average of only the 2 electronic times, throw out the fastest and slowest time and average the remaining 4, or use a more complex method of coming to a single number. The point is that most scouts use different methods of arriving at a single 40 time, and that is responsible for the discrepancy amongst "official" 40 yard dash times.

As a result of all of these factors, it is very difficult to establish a consensus "official" 40 yard dash time for a particular player or for the sake of NFL Combine all-time records. NFL Combine Results believes that the most important thing for the sake of accurate comparison is to consistently use the same method of determining a single 40 time, and it is also our opinion that the best method of reaching a single 40 yard dash time is to take the average of the two electronic times as they are the most likely to be the most accurate.

http://nflcombineresults.com/category/nflcombine101/
  • buck
  • Veteran
sorry got confused
[ Edited by buck on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:40 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by irishluder:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
s**t just keeps getting better. But what if we hold onto crabs, boldin and patton continues to improve? Do we still go WR in the 1st or 2nd?

Yes, definitely! I wondered the same thing, but really we need to add a big strong redzone receiver and either a speedster or a Boldin type possession receiver that can fight for the 3rd down throws in the middle of the field.

I want

Lee
Robinson
Matthews
Adams
Beckham Jr
Moncrief
Abbrederis
Janis
Washington

Some examples of why I grade him higher than Beckham.
what about tyler lockett from kansas state? what round would he go in? will he come out? seems to have some skills....
[ Edited by Kezar1965 on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM ]
This is definitely one of the best classes in the last decade. We should come away with one of the following:

Watkins
Lee
Evans
Benjamin
Beckham Jr.
Matthews
Robinson
Landry
Cooks

Also use another on a project like:

Adams
Bryant
Moncrief
Coleman
Abbredaris

If we can't find a starting WR from this class, something's wrong. Take a shot on two from the lists above and things should be fine.

Who do you guys think has the best hands in this class other than the obvious S.Watkins and M.Lee?
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Who do you guys think has the best hands in this class other than the obvious S.Watkins and M.Lee?

Jarvis Landry.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

Jarvis Landry.

Both Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham are great hands catcher the difference will be if the 49ers resign boldin. At LSU Landry plays the slot and Beckham was the speedster on the outside.

I lean towards beckham because he plays special teams
Jarvis Landry.

I'll disagree and say Matthews by a mile. This guy caught everything thrown at him. Coach Franklin used to be a WR coach at Green Bay and he said Matthews was one of the best receivers that he has seen in his coaching days.

Matthews reminds me of a slightly less athletic Larry Fitzgerald. The more I watch him the more I love his game.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Jarvis Landry.

I'll disagree and say Matthews by a mile. This guy caught everything thrown at him. Coach Franklin used to be a WR coach at Green Bay and he said Matthews was one of the best receivers that he has seen in his coaching days.

Matthews reminds me of a slightly less athletic Larry Fitzgerald. The more I watch him the more I love his game.

The only question I have with Matthews is they style at Vanderbilt he would fit perfect for the Broncos system imo the 49ers ask their WRS to block in the run which the LSU WRs are more of a fit imo
Share 49ersWebzone