LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Review

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
MD.. someone raised a good question earlier. How would your draft grade differ if the Niners had made NO trades and selected Tank with pick 31 and then Reid at 34?

You must have missed the question so will ask again.. How would you rate the draft if the picks went:

31 Tank
34 Reid
61 McDonald
93 Lemonier
128 Patton
131 Lattimore

In this case, would they not have gotten great value at 31, 128, and 131 and gotten fair market value at 34 61 and 93? So, would your grade change without moving up for Reid and taking your guy Carradine?

I doubt Reid would have been available.

I doubt it too. Cincy and the Giants evidently wanted him big time. Just wanted to see if this changed MD's opinion since Reid would not be a first rd pick then.
MD.. someone raised a good question earlier. How would your draft grade differ if the Niners had made NO trades and selected Tank with pick 31 and then Reid at 34?

You must have missed the question so will ask again.. How would you rate the draft if the picks went:

31 Tank
34 Reid
61 McDonald
93 Lemonier
128 Patton
131 Lattimore

In this case, would they not have gotten great value at 31, 128, and 131 and gotten fair market value at 34 61 and 93? So, would your grade change without moving up for Reid and taking your guy Carradine?

if you're referring to my question, I wanted to leave the trade in, so I posited that they traded the 34 and the same 3rd for a 22nd, then took Carradine @ 22, followed by Reid at 40.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by fryet:
Thinks MD for your draft analysis. I was waiting for it. Personally, I think it is the best analysis that we can get as a 49er fan (other paid analysts may know about the draft in general, but they don't know the 49ers as well).

I don't see why MD gets such strong opinions on this board. I posted my draft analysis as well,as did many others. I didn't see anyone tell me that I don't know what I am talking about (which would be accurate). MD is just posting his opinion like everyone else.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Do you think people would be arguing that I don't know what I am talking about if I gave the team an A grade? The backlash is directly related to the grade. I call it like I see it. I can't sugar coat decisions I think are shaky just because I like the team.

I wrote a post in "NinerTalk" (yeah, I know...) where I stated a few holes the team still has (1) secondary, (2) speed on offense, (3) punt return, (4) OT depth. I got chewed out. People asked me how I could say we don't have speed on offense when Vance McDonald was the fastest TE in the class and I can't even count how many people brought up Lockette and AJJ. The 2 guys that have so far combined for 0/0/0 (assign whatever statistic you want to those number... except drops, then you'll have to change one of them to a 1). These are the same people that wanted Austin because we needed speed on offense just 2 days prior! But that's sports fans.

I really appreciate the work that you do, and enjoy reading your stuff. One point about comparing your drafts to Baalke's. You have to consider 2 things:

1. When making decisions, Baalke doesn't have the luxury of knowing if a player will or won't be there later. So he can't decide if Philip Thomas (who I did not like at all) will be available in the 3rd and is better value than Reid at 18. Looking back, we completely have that luxury. So there's a bias.
  2. Baalke has to "please the coaches" to some degree. I'm guessing the Reid pick was more of a Harbaugh decision than a Baalke one. I'm not saying they disagreed on it -- i have no way of knowing that -- but if they did, that's another consideration. He can't act in isolation. In the long run, consensus wins out I believe, but for individual picks this could have a negative effect. Then again, Kaep is likely here due to Harbaugh as well and Baalke gets his fair share of praise for it.

Keep up the great work. Look forward to reading more of your stuff, and also trying to get more and more involved myself.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
The red flag was probably immaturity--if I had to guess

Could be a medical that looks worse to a team. Back problems can cause players to fall farther and faster than knees. A couple years ago, Charles Brown, an Ol who plays for the Saints, was considered a late first, early second rounder, but fell to the fourth. Later on, it was discovered he had a bad back, so teams simply removed him from their boards. it happen.

At the same time, any time a person has YOLO tattooed on their neck, it shows a level of immaturity. This may have been one element in the slide.

Major medical with him according to Russ Lande. The guy is out there with his evaluations sometimes, but I trust his insider info.
I think it's safe to say maddog doesn't like trading up
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
I think it's safe to say maddog doesn't like trading up

Yeah I'm a little sick of people criticizing the McDonald and Lemonier trade-ups. "Those guys woulda been there five slots later." Oh really? Says you?
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
MadDog,

On the Reid pick. In 3 years, when they do the re-draft, do you think Reid will be one of the top 18 players from this draft?

No. I think he will not be considered first round value.

YESSSSSSSSSS

That means he's gonna be the best safety of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
MadDog,

On the Reid pick. In 3 years, when they do the re-draft, do you think Reid will be one of the top 18 players from this draft?

No. I think he will not be considered first round value.

YESSSSSSSSSS

That means he's gonna be the best safety of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post

I hate the posts in this thread that serve literally no purpose other than to be a dick to MadDog.
I ask MD again for the 3rd time..........how are you ripping Reid or even analyzing any secondary when you don't have coaches tape.

You can analyze DL/OL/LB/RB/QB...even wr just based on their pure athletic ability on tape

BUT THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE ANY ANALYSIS OF ANY PLAYER IN THE SECONDARY WITHOUT COACHES TAPE
Originally posted by iLL49er:
I ask MD again for the 3rd time..........how are you ripping Reid or even analyzing any secondary when you don't have coaches tape.

You can analyze DL/OL/LB/RB/QB...even wr just based on their pure athletic ability on tape

BUT THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE ANY ANALYSIS OF ANY PLAYER IN THE SECONDARY WITHOUT COACHES TAPE

Holy cow ease up on the guy. Most of us have spent the last couple months reading dozens of blogs and writers of draftniks offering us their opinions based on the resources available to them. MD is no different.

Originally posted by iLL49er:

Safety is usually in the shot. At least 80% of the plays he's in on. CBs you can watch when they're being thrown against, or coming up to support the run. If a corner is in on only a few plays a game then you can draw the conclusion that he's likely playing very tight coverage.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Safety is usually in the shot. At least 80% of the plays he's in on. CBs you can watch when they're being thrown against, or coming up to support the run. If a corner is in on only a few plays a game then you can draw the conclusion that he's likely playing very tight coverage.

Not after the snap.

You see almost nothing of what happens in the secondary. I actually do break down tape for another sport (basketball coach), and for the life of me, I don't know how you can legitimately evaluate something that you can't see.

31. Tank Carradine-DE
34. Justin Hunter- WR
61. Jesse Williams-NT/DE
74. BW Webb-CB
93. Phillip Thomas-S
128. Quinton Patton-WR
131. Cornelius Washington-OLB
157. Josh Evans-S
173. David Quessenberry-OT/G
180. Rex Burkhead-RB
237. Reid Fragel-OT
246. Marcus Cromartie-CB
252. Lucas Reed-TE

I give myself an "A" grade...of course, these were my picks.
Wahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry, but while I respect and like looking at your big boards, your post draft assessments always leaves me amused and humored that you can do no wrong while others that are pros don't know what they are talking about. Of course you will admit no wrong. An example is Jessie Williams. It wasn't just the niners, but a lot of teams passed on.

Truth be told, know one will know until the player takes the field or not. Whether becomes a player is a reach to me is dependent on how he does. If he becomes a pro bowl is not a reach. You may argue that this a draft grade based on value and I will argue that draft grades should be based on perceived results.

I myself gave the niners a B+ because of picks of McDonald and those in the latter rounds of like the 6 and 7th.
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Time and time again you waste your time writing nonsense. I'm glad you're not our GM cause you would run us right into the ground straight into hell. Bottom line, you don't know S#%T!

That will cost you. Write something like that again and it will be your last day on the board. PM me if you dont understand.

Is this the Stanford Experiment all over again? Give nobody's some sense of power and they think they can do anything they want. Well if this is the last one ill make it count. I'll tell you as well you don't know s**t either. f**k you and the other jack ass that knows more about jack and s**t MadDog.

Agreed.
Originally posted by LottofRice49:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Time and time again you waste your time writing nonsense. I'm glad you're not our GM cause you would run us right into the ground straight into hell. Bottom line, you don't know S#%T!

That will cost you. Write something like that again and it will be your last day on the board. PM me if you dont understand.

Is this the Stanford Experiment all over again? Give nobody's some sense of power and they think they can do anything they want. Well if this is the last one ill make it count. I'll tell you as well you don't know s**t either. f**k you and the other jack ass that knows more about jack and s**t MadDog.

Agreed.

LOL. Comes back to agree with himself. Get a life, dude.
Share 49ersWebzone