There are 175 users in the forums

We got better...so did the rest of the NFC West

AZ
  • Jonathan Cooper (OG) - maybe the cleanest player in the draft at their biggest position of need
  • Kevin Minter (LB) - quality LB
  • Honey Badger (CB/FS) - wildcard. Could be an exceptional playmaker
  • Alex Okafor (OLB/DL) - very good value in the 4th. Borderline starter for me
  • Earl Watford (OG) - another excellent OG. Went from a terrible interior line to a very good one in 1 year
  • Stephan Taylor (RB) - starting caliber RB
  • Ryan Swope (WR) - if not for injuries, a quality #3 WR
  • Andre Ellington (RB) - an intriguing change of pace back
  • D.C. Jefferson (TE)

Also an excellent UFA signing of Oaklahoma Safety Tony Jefferson

StL
  • Tavon Austin (WR) - probably the most dynamic playmaker to come out in years
  • Alec Ogletree (LB) - most talented ILB in this class
  • T.J. McDonald (S) - big safety. Likely dropped due to natural inclination to link with Mays
  • Stedman Bailey (WR) - umm...is this fair? I think the league should make a deal with the Rams. Make them sit Austin and Baily, and just start each game off with 14 points. Wow! Steal of the 3rd rd
  • Barret Jones (C/OG) - and now the steal of the 4th.
  • Brandon McGee (CB)
  • Zac Stacy (RB)

Sea
  • Christine Michael (RB) - Talent wise, he gives them a very talented backfield
  • Jordan Hill (DT)
  • Chris Harper (WR) - The type of big player that's flown under-the-radar and the Hawks have turned into a star (Chancellor, Sherman, Browner, Lynch)
  • Jesse Williams (DT/NT) - There's not question about it. This is the biggest steal of the 5th. If not for an injury this is a late first rounder
  • Tharold Simon (CB) - Are they allowed to add to that secondary?
  • Luke Wilson (TE)
  • Spence Ware (RB)
  • Ryan Seymour (G)
  • Ty Powell (DE)
  • Jared Smith (DT)

overall my least favorite draft in the NFC west, but can't deny the steal of Williams, as well as the resources put into DT. With the defense they already have, just having 1 of those guys work out would be tremendous.

SF

• Eric Reid (S)
  • Tank Carradine (DE) - ha! That's to the rest of the league. Is it fair? F* no, but the rich again get richer
  • Vance McDonald (TE) - intriguing...
  • Corey Lemonier (OLB) - upside, upside, upside. His ceiling is really really really high
  • Quinton Patton (WR) - hold off on this one. I'm still checking to see if there's some typo here. I'm not certain that we ACTUALLY got him at the end of the 4th. If I wasn't a niner fan, I would vomit
  • Marcus Lattimore (RB) - If he comes back healthy -- and with today's medical procedures that's becoming more common than not -- this could be the biggest steal in the draft
  • Quinton Dial (DT) - big, athletic kid that needs time to develop (and he'll get plenty of that here). Could be very good down the road
  • Nick Moody (Special Teams) - This guy better be the best special teams player of all time. Otherwise this pick blows
  • B.J. Daniels. (QB/RB/WR)
  • Carter Bykowski (RT)
  • Marcus Cooper (CB/S)

Also a strong, and still growing, UFA class.
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Apr 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM ]
I was really impressed by the Cardinals picks. The Niners also did pretty well getting talented players like Reid, Patton, and Lattimore. Other than Williams I didn't like the Seahawks draft and I think the Rams made a huge mistake taking Austin in the top 10.
The Seahawks Christine Michael pick was awful. They reached for a guy with poor production at a position of little need. Wasted pick.

I also think you're vastly overrating Stedman Bailey, and clearly there is something very wrong with Jesse Williams for everyone else to pass on him repeatedly.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Apr 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM ]
You can't forget; us, and the Hawks picks are going to be mostly depth. The Cards and Rams are going to play their picks as starters, yet our draft is just as good as theirs.

Between us and the Seahawks, we picked up more impact players than they did. Our 4th round RB is a better talent than their 1st pick (RB). Our second pick (DT) is better than their second pick (DT).
Our WR pick is just as talented. Our TE pick is better than their TE pick. Jessie Williams is a steal as a nose, they got us on that one.

We upped them on almost every pick except for Williams vs Dial.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
You can't forget; us, and the Hawks picks are going to be mostly depth. The Cards and Rams are going to play their picks as starters, yet our draft is just as good as theirs.

Between us and the Seahawks, we picked up more impact players than they did. Our 4th round RB is a better talent than their 1st pick (RB). Our second pick (DT) is better than their second pick (DT).
Our WR pick is just as talented. Our TE pick is better than their TE pick. Jessie Williams is a steal as a nose, they got us on that one.

We upped them on almost every pick except for Williams vs Dial.

While our guys are more talented, they're coming off major injuries. You can't ignore that stuff. As is Jesse Williams...
Chris Harper was a great pick by Seattle, Williams a steal but the rest of their draft blows. Might as well put a sheriff's office at their practice facility right now.
Not worried...

The 49ers arguably had a better draft than any other team...and we're still the best, most talented team in the NFC west AND the NFL right now

Seriously the only cause for concern is Tavon Austin going to the Rams..I was hoping he would go to any team outside the nfc west but the Rams were smart to trade up to get him..IMO he is gonna give us more headaches than Percy Harvin
[ Edited by artiga1 on Apr 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Chris Harper was a great pick by Seattle, Williams a steal but the rest of their draft blows. Might as well put a sheriff's office at their practice facility right now.

Agreed. And I assume there's something we don't know about Williams' injury for him to fall that far.

On the whole, I don't like their draft at all.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by artiga1:
Not worried...

The 49ers arguably had a better draft than any other team...and we're still the best, most talented team in the NFC west AND the NFL right now

Seriously the only cause for concern is Tavon Austin going to the Rams..I was hoping he would go to any team outside the nfc west but the Rams were smart to trade up to get him..IMO he is gonna give us more headaches than Percy Harvin

Willis will welcome Austin to the NFL with a nice forearm shiver
We absolutely had the best draft class in the division. In Reid we got a plug and play starter to cover the loss of our biggest FA. We got dynamic pass rushers in Carradine and Lemonier. We got stocked up on offensive weapons in McDonald and Patton. We got the possibly best RB in the draft in Lattimore.

Just a solid solid draft.

My next favorite is Arizona's. Cooper, Okafor, Mathieu, and Swope are all excellent picks that will make them better.

I'm not as impressed with St. Louis's draft. With all the high picks that they had, I expected more. I do not think that Tavon Austin will be as good as people think. He's a lesser version of Reggie Bush. Somebody that could just make college level defenders look like chumps. But in the NFL, the level of athlete that he will face goes way up. Like Bush, Austin will be a significant role player that defenses have to prepare for. But at the end of the day, he won't be a big difference maker.

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Mathieu got ripped in this yahoo article
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--new-cardinals-db-tyrann-mathieu-continues-to-raise-red-flags-in-nfl-circles-191551286.html
I wished we picked up a slot corner but this was a nice draft.

Maybe Cox can fill that void.
Seattle got better through trades and free agency. Niner got markedly better in the draft and UDFA. The Cards and Rams made some good picks as well.

Bottom line, the NFC West is now the best division in the NFL top to bottom.

In regards to the supposed missing piece of the Niners draft, a slot CB, the Niners are following the blueprint that the Seahawks have established with their secondary. The Niners are getting bigger press corners that will disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage just like the Seahawks do. Add to that a bunch of great edge rushers and you have a real good defense against the pass. The NFL is a copycat league and not even our Niners are above dong it.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Seattle got better through trades and free agency. Niner got markedly better in the draft and UDFA. The Cards and Rams made some good picks as well.

Bottom line, the NFC West is now the best division in the NFL top to bottom.

In regards to the supposed missing piece of the Niners draft, a slot CB, the Niners are following the blueprint that the Seahawks have established with their secondary. The Niners are getting bigger press corners that will disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage just like the Seahawks do. Add to that a bunch of great edge rushers and you have a real good defense against the pass. The NFL is a copycat league and not even our Niners are above dong it.

Great post, and good draft. I liked most of what you guys did. Carradine pick almost isn't even fair..
Now that I see the picks together, I am most impressed by Jeff fisher and les snead in St Louis. They did a great job getting Tavon, and Stedman Bailey, plus getting Ogeltree, although he has off field issues, is a great talent.

Arizona doesn't wow me, Cooper is good but otherwise not impressed. And Seattle was ok draft, but there draft was Harvin, so we need to see how well he does for them.
Share 49ersWebzone