LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

Who is your favorite player drafted and why?

To me the best value pick was marcus lattimore.. But he is also the biggest risk. what you would get from the kid if he is healthy won't be supreme athletism, but a guy with great vision and is extremely hard working. The 49ers were the perfect fit obviously because we have enough depth to let him recover and come back stronger... not only that but we won't need him to be an every down back when healthy cuz he will have kendall and lamichael to spell him. Really though you can make a case for all of our first 6 picks being a great value. We'll be able to bring pressure from both sides of the ball now, and out of any safety in the draft reid (imo) fits our system the best and can play the role golston did though he will still sorely be missed. Mcdonald should bring some versatility and patton should strech the field and contribute on special teams..
I'm curious as to who will start at nose though.. will it be dorsey, williams, or okoye eventually? to me the secondary won't be a weakness if rogers gets booted by nhamdi but the nose and center seem to be lacking much talent. Hope we can still control the trenches like last year.
This is one of my favorite drafts the 49ers have had. I love the early picks, but I'm an underdog kind of guy. I love the pick of Dial. I think his upside in our defense is immense. Plutonium grade raw material for a 3-4 front. I see Tomsula turning this guy into a beast or at least I hope he does. The season can't come fast enough.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
My pick has got to be Eric Reid, watching interviews of him seems hes got a good head on his shoulders, is a hard worker and leader. Hopefully he proves to the coaching staff that hes able to start from day 1.
Lattigore
Having huge hands and an enormous wingspan....Vance is gonna be a monster for us. It only helps he is 6'4 267 and runs 4.6 Harbaugh calls him a clone of Mike Ditka. Ditka in his prime would be an all pro today. Can't wait to see this kid play
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think Lemonier will eventually replace Brooks and be a monster DE/OLB.

Watching the tapes, Lemonier looks like a clone of Brooks. He plays downhill like Brooks.

And the crazy thing is, he tested just as well at the combine as Barkevious Mingo and Dion Jordan (two high first rounders) and he had more careers sacks than both:

Kiki Mingo - 4.58 forty, 1.55 10-yard split, 33.68 arms, 14.5 career sacks in 3 years
Dion Jordan - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split, 33.78 arms, 14.5 career sacks in 3 years (former TE)
C. Lemonier - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split, 34.48 arms, 17 career sacks in 3 years

* All 3 of their unofficial times were the same (4.53), which was tied for #1 among all DEs.

Plus, Lemonier (21, true Junior) is 2 years younger than Jordan (23, RS Senior) and a year younger than Mingo (22, RS Junior), so the upside is definitely there. IMO, this is almost as much of a high-ceiling, "steal/stash/develop" pick as Marcus Lattimore.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM ]
And the crazy thing is, he tested just as well at the combine as Barkevious Mingo and Dion Jordan (two high first rounders) and he had more careers sacks than both:

Kiki Mingo - 4.58 forty, 1.55 10-yard split, 33.68 arms, 14.5 career sacks in 3 years
Dion Jordan - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split, 33.78 arms, 14.5 career sacks in 3 years (former TE)
C. Lemonier - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split,34.48 arms, 17 career sacks in 3 years

Plus, Lemonier (21) is 2 years younger than Jordan (23) and a year younger than Mingo (22), so the upside is definitely there. IMO, this is almost as much of a steal/stash/develop pick as Marcus Lattimore.

Wow, very similar measurables and production. Mingo and Jordan went top 10, Lemonier went end of the 3rd. Baalke wins again.

C. Lemonier - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split, 34.48 arms, 17 career sacks in 3 years

* All 3 of their unofficial times were the same (4.53), which was tied for #1 among all DEs.

Plus, Lemonier (21, true Junior) is 2 years younger than Jordan (23, RS Senior) and a year younger than Mingo (22, RS Junior), so the upside is definitely there. IMO, this is almost as much of a high-ceiling, "steal/stash/develop" pick as Marcus Lattimore.

this is pretty unbelievable.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

this is pretty unbelievable.

And Corey (6'3", 255) is already almost 15lbs heavier than Mingo (6'4", 241), yet he moves just as quickly.

Originally posted by krizay:
We all thought they "hit it out of the park last year as well" BUT......

Fact remains they drafted some players we've heard of and are excited but nothing i s guaranteed.

People were handing out a B+ last year http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/165625-49er-draft-grades-nfl-team-upgrades-overall-thoughts/

people now are just excited over the new "toys"

Last year they had one each 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th...no 3rd. By comparison this draft has more than double the potential to be an excellent group--by sheer numbers but also higher overall picks. But I'm still not ready to grade last years draft. Jenkins may be really good this year or next, James is very scary to defenses and Looney may be a starter within a year. Fleming being injured makes him a huge maybe, especially as a 5th round pick. If Robinson becomes a starter next year then they could have four starters from that meager group.

But you are right that most of us are on a draft high and are full of hyperbole!
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I find it funny everybody all over Patton nuts N he's basically same size as AJ who just about everyone on here has already named bust even thought WR is one of tha toughest spots to translate N learn frm college to NFL ....
Originally posted by krizay:
We all thought they "hit it out of the park last year as well" BUT......

Fact remains they drafted some players we've heard of and are excited but nothing i s guaranteed.

People were handing out a B+ last year http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/165625-49er-draft-grades-nfl-team-upgrades-overall-thoughts/

people now are just excited over the new "toys"

Other than James, I seem to recall that most of us were either neutral or negative about last year's draft overall. As always, we were hopeful and gave Baalke the benefit of the doubt, but I don't remember too many people jumping up and down about Jenkins, Looney, Slowey, Fleming, Robinson and Cam. In fact, I remember the Zone exploding with WTFs when they announced AJJ as the 1st round pick.

This draft is a night/day comparison.
Lattimore. Because he's a great guy who deserves a chance and I'm hoping it will be one of the greatest comeback stories ever.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I find it funny everybody all over Patton nuts N he's basically same size as AJ who just about everyone on here has already named bust even thought WR is one of tha toughest spots to translate N learn frm college to NFL ....

If we had picked Jenkins in the 4th like we did Patton, it would've been a different story. Most 1st rounders give you at least SOMETHING as a rookie, even if that something isn't overwhelming (because yes, it does take time to develop). But Jenkins as a 1st rounder gave them absolutely NOTHING, even when we needed a little something from that position towards the end of the year. And I do mean NOTHING.

So I find it funny that you don't see the difference.
Share 49ersWebzone