• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
34 - Jesse Williams NT/DE
61 - Darius Slay CB
3a - DaRick WR or Vance McDonald TE

Very nice, Wally.
Why is everyone so high on Ertz?

As a Stanford fan I absolutly love the guy! We have VD, D. Walker was a very late pick.

I don't see how we justify picking a TE in the 2nd round when we have arguably the best TE in the league on the roster right now. We need to shore up the D-line & DB situation, I would even say a WR before a TE.

Ertz is not a blocking TE, he is a very slow recieving TE.
1. ERTZ
2. J. WILLIAMS.
3. DUKE WILLIAMS
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
34th pick DL or CB

next pick TE or WR

3rd round another S
I want to auction the 34th pick off to the highest bidder. ideally id like a 1st for next year and then use picks 61 and 93 and the rest of the draft haul to move up and take players we covet.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

As a Stanford fan I absolutly love the guy! We have VD, D. Walker was a very late pick.

I don't see how we justify picking a TE in the 2nd round when we have arguably the best TE in the league on the roster right now. We need to shore up the D-line & DB situation, I would even say a WR before a TE.

As important as a TE is for Harbaugh (more than half of the offensive plays) getting one that can justify him playing that much is logical. Walker took several years to be an accomplished TE. A more talented player is needed to be effective now. Ertz may not block like Walker, but that may be offset my his superior receiving skills, which should be more in demand now that Kaep is the QB.
Hmm...a trade back, throwing in a 4th or 5th, to gain a second...yeah, I would love that. Then taking the best 2 DL available, 1 CB and 1 TE. Tomorrow Duke Williams and some prospects to depth. That would be potentially six starters within the next two years.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Mann716:
Tank at 34. Fingers crossed

I'm sorry but I don't want to pick someone and put them on the pup?? No thanks! I want Hunt and Ertz
Just give me "Swervin" Curvin Johnson and i will be happy.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM ]
Is CBS now the best draft tracking site? I really like the ability to click the name for analysis and combine numbers, and they have best available prospects. Other sites seem to be light years behind.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, if we can drop down a couple of spots, pick up the 3rd that we lost and still be able to get Ertz, would be outstanding.

I hope this
Originally posted by Donnies49ers:
I'm sorry but I don't want to pick someone and put them on the pup?? No thanks! I want Hunt and Ertz

The draft is a long term investment
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM ]

He's been compared to more of a Jason Witten type TE from what Greg Papa was saying on the radio. He's not gonna blow you away with speed but I mean Eifert ran a 4.65 and Ertz ran a 4.68. BUt what they said is that he can catch. He's a security blanket and moves chains. He's from Stanford so im having a hard time imagining Ertz not being able to block, its been noted that he's willing be the H-Back/Hybrid TE type. That being said, Im see us targeting Kelce, McDonald, or Escobar. I have a gut feeling that Baalke's getting a thousand offers for #34. I wonder if Jets try to trade up with us to jump philly or Arizona.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

As important as a TE is for Harbaugh (more than half of the offensive plays) getting one that can justify him playing that much is logical. Walker took several years to be an accomplished TE. A more talented player is needed to be effective now. Ertz may not block like Walker, but that may be offset my his superior receiving skills, which should be more in demand now that Kaep is the QB.

Ertz has played TE his entire college carreer, D. Walker never played TE in college, he was a WR in college! So his blocking should be somewhat on par with his recieving skills but it isn't. VD can fly, so why not wait to get a blocking TE in the 6th - 7th round?

D. Walker was not the recieving TE that you think he was. Look at his stats, only about 20 catches per season. Ertz would be like drafting a WR, not a DW replacement.
Originally posted by martysofresh:

He's been compared to more of a Jason Witten type TE from what Greg Papa was saying on the radio. He's not gonna blow you away with speed but I mean Eifert ran a 4.65 and Ertz ran a 4.68. BUt what they said is that he can catch. He's a security blanket and moves chains. He's from Stanford so im having a hard time imagining Ertz not being able to block, its been noted that he's willing be the H-Back/Hybrid TE type. That being said, Im see us targeting Kelce, McDonald, or Escobar. I have a gut feeling that Baalke's getting a thousand offers for #34. I wonder if Jets try to trade up with us to jump philly or Arizona.

Can you imagine paying VD 8 million a year, only to throw the ball to another TE on Gameday? The Kelce kid seems like a good option, but I don't know if he is a big time blocker. We need a back up tight end that can block and occasionally run crisp routes and catch the ball.

Walker was a mismatch because he could block and run routes good, catching was his only flaw at times. So when he was in the game if you substituted more DB's onto the field we could run the ball easily. However if you put line backers or safeties out there he would run right by them in the passing game. With Ertz on the field, I would think we would be easy to figure out on offense.
Share 49ersWebzone