LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Rather trade up to pick #10-15 to draft TAustin or trade up to #20-25 n draft Patterson

Rather trade up to pick #10-15 to draft TAustin or trade up to #20-25 n draft Patterson

IF, only given these two options...

With the talk that we may possibly be interested in trading up to the top 15 to draft Tavon Austin, I wonder if there is any interest in Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson seems to be falling down draft boards a little bit, probably due to being a raw WR with only one year of D1 experience.

We don't have to give up nearly as much if we only trade up to picks #20-25 and get Patterson. Hell, he might even fall to #31, kind of like how Stephen Hill was thought to go first round last year but lasted into the second round.

They both can return, play wide receiver, and play running back. Austin is more NFL ready but he'll cost more for us to trade up. However, Patterson has the potential to be a red zone threat, while Austin not so much.

What say you?
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM ]
Should add a neither!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Should add a neither!

Naw because then that'll be the majority. I want to see if only given those two choices what people would prefer.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Naw because then that'll be the majority. I want to see if only given those two choices what people would prefer.

Point taken!
Should add a neither!

Neither ^

No trade up but stay pat or even move back to acquire additional 2-3rd round picks and for next year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Should add a neither!

Neither ^

No trade up but stay pat or even move back to acquire additional 2-3rd round picks and for next year.

I mean that's what I want to do, but I want to see everyone's opinion strictly given these two options.
If these were the only scenarios to choose from I would rather the team trade up to 20-25 and take Patterson.

I think Patterson is the more complete wide receiver and will have a longer more productive career. Also, the team could get away with keeping the #34 pick.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This is definitely a neither for me. Trading up for a WR doesn't make sense. I would only support it for either DL or Safety.
Originally posted by fryet:
This is definitely a neither for me. Trading up for a WR doesn't make sense. I would only support it for either DL or Safety.

Don't cheat. If you had to pick one.
Austin won't make it to pick 10

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Austin won't make it to pick 10

but, if he did Baalke might trade up for him.

And Baalke will not trade up for Patterson.
Well...since you're only giving me those two options, I have to go with Patterson. He is dynamite with the ball in his hands, and he has size. He needs a lot of work, but has big time potential. Also would require a lot less compensation to trade up into the 20's than it would to trade into the top 15.

I just can't justify trading all the way up into the top 15 for a 5'8" receiver, no matter how fast or quick he is. I think Austin will be a very useful player, but if I'm going to give up a lot in a trade, I want a guy who profiles as a #1 receiver.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM ]
Neither. Will crack a beer tomorrow in celebration of Austin getting drafted so Webzoners will stop friggin talking about him.
No WR in this yr draft is truly worth a first round pick...
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
IF, only given these two options...

With the talk that we may possibly be interested in trading up to the top 15 to draft Tavon Austin, I wonder if there is any interest in Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson seems to be falling down draft boards a little bit, probably due to being a raw WR with only one year of D1 experience.

We don't have to give up nearly as much if we only trade up to picks #20-25 and get Patterson. Hell, he might even fall to #31, kind of like how Stephen Hill was thought to go first round last year but lasted into the second round.

They both can return, play wide receiver, and play running back. Austin is more NFL ready but he'll cost more for us to trade up. However, Patterson has the potential to be a red zone threat, while Austin not so much.

What say you?

Patterson is extremely raw and one heck of a project. He could end up being a beast a few years down the road or an absolutely epic bust. Austin looks like he could be a nice playmaker, but is he worth giving up a bunch of quality picks to take him? Hell no. 49ers would be better off standing pat, adding a safety and a DE/CB/NT and then looking for a guy like Da'Rick Rogers or Quinton Patton in the latter part of the 2nd Round.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone