LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Hunter, Short or Amerson at 34..?

Systematically, it'll come down to what they do in the first. But let's say they take a neutral player In the 1st that doesn't change this pick who would it be?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
To some extent it will depend who they have taken at 31st. But, for me it will have to be Justin Hunter, he is a bargain at 34th !! Amerson is good too, but there are a lot of choices for CB, you could still pick one up at 61st.

There are a lot of permutations here :

• I was thinking if they did move up above 15th, they might go after Tavon Austin. If they did, of course Justin Hunter would be off the table and they would probably go after another tall prototypical deep threat wideout in the much later rounds such as a Tyrone Goard in the 7th. In my opinion, Tavon Austin is probably too hot, there are rumours the Vikings might trade up to get ahead of the Rams to get him. In other words, it could become too costly a bidding war. If that's the case, they might as well settle for Justin Hunter at 34th.
  • But, if they did take Justin Hunter at 34th, it would definitely affect the TE pick, instead of Zach Ertz, they would probably have to go after someone else in the later rounds such as a Kelce or somebody else.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Too, high for Amerson. He'll be available at 61.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I would lean towards Hunter, since I have him ranked higher. Amerson is a late 2nd/early 3rd for me. I wouldn't mind Short though, as I feel he offers versatility inside or out.
I'd prefer Kawann Short. He'd be a great addition to the DL.

Amerson is a late 2nd rounder at best.

I'm also not a huge Justin Hunter fan. People think of him as a big WR because he is 6'4". But he is not physical. Doesn't play like a big receiver. He isn't tough after the catch, he's not much of a blocker, can get jammed, and looks very lanky and fragile. Yes, he's a decent deep threat receiver... but he's lacking in too many other areas for me.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Hunter. Too good to pass up. We can get Amerson in the 3rd.
Hunter is gonna be a better NFL player than Patterson and will be a stud, take him.
Actually two of my favorite guys in the draft, Amerson at 61.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I would lean towards Hunter, since I have him ranked higher. Amerson is a late 2nd/early 3rd for me. I wouldn't mind Short though, as I feel he offers versatility inside or out.

I totall . But, though it may surprise some, I believe Hunter has a good chance of going in the top 20-25 or higher..
[ Edited by bdub2588 on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM ]
And Hunter is a great value. On paper he's similar to what we got from Moss, at the level he played at last year..
If we go WR gotta go with the multifaceted approach. Austin, Patterson, Rogers, etc...

Originally posted by mayo49:
See I would agree with you but the niners looooove to reach for their guy!
[ Edited by bdub2588 on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM ]
No, no and...no. Hunter has some very good run after the catch skills...it's actually catching the ball that's the problem. For me, Da'Rick Rogers is a much better option, because he has great size, catches the ball in traffic, is exceptionally strong and quick and plays with attitude. There are "true" FS that would be a better option than Amerson, although I like his versatility. As for Short, no thanks...much better DL talent available...either Williams (Jesse or Sly), Datone Jones, Jenkins, et al.
were not taking Hunter guys, time to wake up from your wet dreams...
No.
We already have a Hunter
Share 49ersWebzone