There are 284 users in the forums

Anyone doubting Baalke and Harbaugh's drafting ability?

McKayla Maroney
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
McKayla Maroney

Dang really, dang I better watch myself, teenager tight? wow
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

OMG - Leave things to the pros kid. You obviously don't realize big picture or as they say..."see the forrest for the trees. Navarro Bowman, didn't make it his first year, Dashon Goldson didn't make it their first year, John Taylor didn't make it their first year, Kaep didn't it make it his first year, Gore didn't make it his first year, Ray McDonald didn't make it his first year, Tarrel Brown didn't make his first year, etc etc etc.

The point is...some need time to make it to the starting lineup or to contribute, some will make a contribution or start in their first year, but one thing is for certain, if their is an opportunity your chances will increase. Some of the names I mentioned didn't have anyone blocking their way when they came in , we were dismal, yet they needed time. Last year the lineup was set, we were inn the championship.

Will Jenkins and the rest of the draft class succeed? Only time will tell. They need time to develope. EVERY GM has been biten in the a$$, even guys like Walsh and Polian. Look at how many people on the zone were on Kaep's butt about him not having it last year prior to him leading us to the SB, the Tolzein should be in front of him, that he sucked. I hear people who are making the same comments about Jenkins, when they mentioned how come JH makes glowing remarks about Lockett and not Jenkins when the two were working out with Kaep. Jenkins must suck. (you do know that JH was not there at the workouts right?) Maybe it could be to keep Jenkins hungry while also throwing Lockette a bone. Look at how many bones JH has thrown to others who are no longer with the team...

If you look at our last years roster and how long it took for some of them to get on the field, it is the old cliche, you need to give them 3 years before you can judge how the draft class of a team went.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Yes, I do have doubts. The problem is people almost make Baalke into a saint. My honest opinion is someimes they get too cute, they need to know is actually OK to pick someone that other teams like too as opposed to going for the odd ball like an AJ Jenkins.

The rams went Brian Quick a few picks after, they could have been targeting AJ.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Whiffing on first round picks is unacceptable. If AJ turns in to the second coming off Jerry Rice I will stop being critical.

Do you guys remember who was picked next after AJ Jenkins in the draft? Doug Martin. Next was David Wilson. Coby Fleener and Janoris Jenkins were drafted soon after. Any one of these players could have significantly contributed to our team then and now.

I don't give passes for missing on draft picks, first round picks especially.
Thats making a lot of assumptions based on them being on another team. You are only looking at their production on another team and not if they fit our system, etc. Like Coby, JH knows him in and out, yet we didn't take him why? Could it be that the niners want a TE that can block first then catch instead of catch only, Coby wasn't known as a good blocker (I will admit I was surprised at first also, as they gave up on Reuland for Celak). Case in point look at Walker, can't catch for $hit, but is a good blocker and swiss army knife, and look at Celak, good blocker and is starting to improve his pass catching Another case in point, J Jenkins, a lot of teams passed on him because of questions about his choices, like Tyrann this year. However, last year we had Carlos who came off a stellar year and Brown. Not to mention Culliver. So Jenkins, would have been like AJ and not get a chance, even though you may try to argue otherwise. Doug Martin they looked at him, but felt the need for Jenkins type/category of receiver was more important as well as they though hoped he could possibly handle return duties. Plus, if you look at what they did with Kaep, they are building an offense built for speed, hense LMJ and Hunter. They have Gore, already, so Martin would not have contributed much if any. Case in point, look how long it took LMJ to get on the field, look at Jacobs, a seasoned vet, didn't see any action, so I doubt he would have see much action either.
Originally posted by WildBill:
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

OMG - Leave things to the pros kid. You obviously don't realize big picture or as they say..."see the forrest for the trees. Navarro Bowman, didn't make it his first year, Dashon Goldson didn't make it their first year, John Taylor didn't make it their first year, Kaep didn't it make it his first year, Gore didn't make it his first year, Ray McDonald didn't make it his first year, Tarrel Brown didn't make his first year, etc etc etc.

The point is...some need time to make it to the starting lineup or to contribute, some will make a contribution or start in their first year, but one thing is for certain, if their is an opportunity your chances will increase. Some of the names I mentioned didn't have anyone blocking their way when they came in , we were dismal, yet they needed time. Last year the lineup was set, we were inn the championship.

Will Jenkins and the rest of the draft class succeed? Only time will tell. They need time to develope. EVERY GM has been biten in the a$$, even guys like Walsh and Polian. Look at how many people on the zone were on Kaep's butt about him not having it last year prior to him leading us to the SB, the Tolzein should be in front of him, that he sucked. I hear people who are making the same comments about Jenkins, when they mentioned how come JH makes glowing remarks about Lockett and not Jenkins when the two were working out with Kaep. Jenkins must suck. (you do know that JH was not there at the workouts right?) Maybe it could be to keep Jenkins hungry while also throwing Lockette a bone. Look at how many bones JH has thrown to others who are no longer with the team...

If you look at our last years roster and how long it took for some of them to get on the field, it is the old cliche, you need to give them 3 years before you can judge how the draft class of a team went.

I've been telling people all along. You guys put unreasonable expectations for the rookies after the '11 group.
Are you one of those newbs that expect rookies to play in their 1st year? Using your logic, we should've drafted a QB last year cuz Kaepernick did nothing his first year!!! If he doesn't step up this year, then we can ALL call him a bust. Until then, you're just setting yourself up to look idiotic in the future.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Yes, I do have doubts. The problem is people almost make Baalke into a saint. My honest opinion is someimes they get too cute, they need to know is actually OK to pick someone that other teams like too as opposed to going for the odd ball like an AJ Jenkins.

They are human and will make mistakes. I however, believe they will make less mistakes than the rest and keep the niners competitive. If you are looking for a perfect GM and coach, they don't exist. Walsh, considered one of the best at draft day had his share. It is not a matter of being cute, but looking for people that fit a certain mode that fit their system. Finding not just a solid player, but one that has the intangbles and measurables as well as tape that fits what you want the player to do in your system. A good case in point is Dorsey who is now with us, highly desired by many at the time of his draft, but misused according to many by the Chiefs. That is why many a team fails. Also, many a teams coaches fall in love with players that are popular, instead of picking someone that fits their stlye of system, which is another reason they fail,the other being that some don't have a system.

Another case could be made about NA, misused by the eagles. So you don't draft what everyone else thinks because that player might not fit what you want to do. I see so many posts for certain players based solely on video clips on they saw on youtube (HIGHLIGHTS) and MAYBE a couple games or what others are saying like Kiper or Mayock etc., if they are so good (mayock or Kiper) why have they not been hired by a pro team. I will give more weight to Bill Polian and Mike Lombardi, but not the whole enchilada, because they are unaware of what the coaches are looking for or desire to do unless they actually worked with them previously.
going to back-to-back nfc championships sucks
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The 2011 class was great and all but 2012 produced nothing. AJ Jenkins is a bust up to this point, and we got no production from anyone other than LMJ. I am havibg creeping doubts that we wont land the best talent. Anyone else concerned?

Baalke's first three drafts . . . pretty solid

1 11 Davis, Anthony OT Rutgers F/CHI/DEN
1 17 Lupati, Mike OG Idaho F/CAR
2 49 Mays, Taylor FS USC
3 91 Bowman, Navorro ILB Penn State f/SD
6 173 Dixon, Anthony RB Mississippi State f/KC/MIA/SD
6 182 Byham, Nate TE Pittsburgh
6 206 Williams, Kyle WR Arizona State f/NFL
7 224 Adams, Phillip CB South Carolina State

1 7 Smith, Aldon DE Missouri
2 36 Kaepernick, Colin QB Nevada f/Den
3 80 Culliver, Chris FS South Carolina f/Jax
4 115 Hunter, Kendall RB Oklahoma State f/SD
5 163 Kilgore, Daniel OG Appalachian State f/GB
6 182 Johnson, Ronald WR Southern Cal f/Jax
6 190 Jones, Colin FS TCU f/Sea
7 211 Miller, Bruce OB Central Florida
7 239 Person, Mike OT Montana State f/NFL
7 250 Holcolm, Curtis FS Florida A&M f/NFL

1 30 Jenkins, AJ WR Illinois
2 61 James, LaMichael RB Oregon
4 117 Looney, Joe OG Wake Forest f/DET
5 165 Fleming, Darius OB Notre Dame
6 180 Robinson, Trent FS Michigan State f/CAR
6 199 Slowey, Jason OC Western Oregon
7 237 Johnson, Cam DE Virginia

My only problem is we've draft Five FS, FIVE OF THEM... And we still have a hole at FS And soon to be SIX!! Dude better be All Pro
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Apr 23, 2013 at 3:30 AM ]

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
going to back-to-back nfc championships sucks

lol!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
My only problem is we've draft Five FS, FIVE OF THEM... And we still have a hole at FS And soon to be SIX!! Dude better be All Pro

That chart is labeling players wrong. The only two FS they've drafted are Taylor Mays and Trenton Robinson. Culliver is a cornerback, as was Curtis Holcomb. Colin Jones was a safety in name only, he really had no position (Hell, they had him practicing at WR) and was just a gunner on special teams.

I'd even argue that Taylor Mays isn't a FS, either. His skillset (what little there is) fits best as an in the box SS.

So, in reality Baalke has only drafted one FS and that was last season in the sixth round.

Still a problem?
Originally posted by Wodwo:

That chart is labeling players wrong. The only two FS they've drafted are Taylor Mays and Trenton Robinson. Culliver is a cornerback, as was Curtis Holcomb. Colin Jones was a safety in name only, he really had no position (Hell, they had him practicing at WR) and was just a gunner on special teams.

I'd even argue that Taylor Mays isn't a FS, either. His skillset (what little there is) fits best as an in the box SS.

So, in reality Baalke has only drafted one FS and that was last season in the sixth round.

Still a problem?

Culliver was a Free Safety in his second season of college. He only played Cornerback his final year and only played 7 games that season do to a injury, so he played more as a safety lol so he's one in my eyes. Taylor is still a safety. I also checked the panthers they have colin jones listed as a safety so that one counts. You did get me on curtis holcomb he was and is a db... So were drafting safety 5. We've traded 2 of them away. One got his position changed to Cb and may not even see the field as much if assmofo signing works, and the other is depth and special teamer at best. Either way Trent hasn't had good luck in the safety area and we really need to hit on this one or we have to get woodson or start craig....

And were changing this from Fs to safety cause Trent has said he likes a balanced one, not a guy that's a box or a guy that's just good in coverage he wants a guy who can do it all.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Apr 23, 2013 at 4:43 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I have pretty good confidence in Harbaalke. They both know what types of players they're looking for.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Culliver was a Free Safety in his second season of college.

I don't care if you consider him a safety. Trent Baalke drafted him to play corner and the coaches had him play corner... he's a corner. Your opinion doesn't matter.

The only players that were drafted to actually play the safety position have been Taylor Mays and Trenton Robinson.

Continue to worry about it if you want. Me? I'll continue to relax and see how things turn out.
Share 49ersWebzone