LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

jobiwon's final mock

We trade our 3A, and 2B to move to the top part of the 2nd. We trade our 4th, 5th, and 6B to move to the top part of the 4th.

First round: Jonathan Cyprien, S - our biggest need and probable starter at FS.
Second round A: Zach Ertz, TE - DW replacement and red zone threat
Second round B: Alex Okafor, DE - We need another pass rusher, LDE in the nickel and eventually Justin Smith replacement.
Third round B: Tyrann Mathieu, CB - need a better nickel CB
Fourth round: David Quessenberry, OT - tackle depth and can backup G and C
Fourth round Comp: Marcus Lattimore, RB - future Gore replacement
Sixth round A: Josh Evans, S - safety depth and there was talk he could play CB
Seventh round A: Tryone Goard WR - tall WR depth
Seventh round Comp: BPA
Seventh round Comp: BPA
i like it. I think we need a NT to at least compete in camp.
I had Brandon Williams mocked up till now. I'm thinking they may just go with Dorsey and Ian Williams at NT and instead focus on DE. There was a large NT we also kept from the practice squad.
Not a fan of Mathieu or Lattimore. I think Mathieu will fall because of off field issues and not playing in over a year. If it was 6th round then maybe. Also not on board for drafting a RB just to put him on PUP or IR. I understand the value, but we have two very good backup RBs. Other than that pretty solid. Maybe a WR or NT in 3rd or 4th
I like all of the picks, but don't like that WR and NT aren't addressed (6-7th round picks don't count since they will most likely be cut).

I don't think we should be trading away ANY of our 2nd or 3rd round picks. The only trade I would like to see us do is to trade our 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders for another 2nd round pick.

We could then do the following:

31: Cyprien
34: Okafor
extra 2nd: Ertz or Travis Kelce (TE)
61: DaRick Rogers (WR)
74: Brandon Williams (NT)
93: B.W. Webb (slot CB)
4th comp: David Quessenberry (OT)

BOOM! Now that would be a helluva draft!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
I like all of the picks, but don't like that WR and NT aren't addressed (6-7th round picks don't count since they will most likely be cut).

I don't think we should be trading away ANY of our 2nd or 3rd round picks. The only trade I would like to see us do is to trade our 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders for another 2nd round pick.

We could then do the following:

31: Cyprien
34: Okafor
extra 2nd: Ertz or Travis Kelce (TE)
61: DaRick Rogers (WR)
74: Brandon Williams (NT)
93: B.W. Webb (slot CB)
4th comp: David Quessenberry (OT)

BOOM! Now that would be a helluva draft!

Very nice, blm. That's a nice little combination right there. Get r dun.
To get the players I wanted, I had to give up a 3rd and not take a NT. I debated taking Okafor at 34, Escobar at 61, and Brandon Williams in the 3rd. I wondered if we really had the roster room to add two DL so I left it like this. I generally wanted to work the picks up and keep the high ones.

Trading our fourth and all the lower picks we can trade only gets us to the bottom of the 3rd not the 2nd.

Gore isn't lasting much longer. Stashing away a RB is perfect.

I'm definately taking a risk for Mathieu. Bonus is the punt return skills. We could substitute another CB there like Mcfadden

We're set at WR for another year. Jenkins will be good. Williams and Manningham will return. Lockette will suprise.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
To get the players I wanted, I had to give up a 3rd and not take a NT. I debated taking Okafor at 34, Escobar at 61, and Brandon Williams in the 3rd. I wondered if we really had the roster room to add two DL so I left it like this. I generally wanted to work the picks up and keep the high ones.

Trading our fourth and all the lower picks we can trade only gets us to the bottom of the 3rd not the 2nd.

Gore isn't lasting much longer. Stashing away a RB is perfect.

I'm definately taking a risk for Mathieu. Bonus is the punt return skills. We could substitute another CB there like Mcfadden

We're set at WR for another year. Jenkins will be good. Williams and Manningham will return. Lockette will suprise.

If we were to draft Okafor and Brandon Williams, our DL depth chart would probably look like this. Keep in mind, Dorsey and Brandon Williams could both play either NT or DE. So if we cut Dobbs and put Eddie on the PS, there is still plenty of depth behind RayMac.

RDE: Justin Smith, Alex Okafor, Will Tukuafu

NT: Glen Dorsey, Ian Williams, Brandon Williams

LDE: Ray MacDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerrod-Eddie

That is 9 guys. Last year we kept 7 on the 53 man roster. Tony Jerrod-Eddie was on the PS, and has another year of PS eligibility.

So if we draft 2 DL, that would leave Dobbs and Tukuafu to fight it out for the last spot. Both have some minor roles on offense. I expect we would only keep one of them.
I see Lattimore as a luxury pick, and to be honest, not nearly as important as WR depth right now. Pick up best player at WR in 4th and i like it

I love cyprien so your first pick is dead on. Id rather add a nose tackle at 34 to supplant soap, maybe john jenkins. Then maybe take a cb or te later in the draft.
That's a good possibility for DL depth. I was leaning toward that until recently. I like Brandon Williams too.
Dobbs usualy played RDE though and Tukuafu LDE though it doesn't really matter. I figured they may want to keep them both since they have roles on offense too. I agree only one will probably stay and it will be Dobbs. We only kept 7 DL to hide Ian Williams. I think they will go back to 6 this year. Soap as the NT only got 30% of the snaps. Dorsey as the NT will get more playing in the nickel also and maybe end. I think we'll only keep two guys there at NT and just look to improve the DE depth to prepare for the days of Justin being done.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I love cyprien so your first pick is dead on. Id rather add a nose tackle at 34 to supplant soap, maybe john jenkins. Then maybe take a cb or te later in the draft.

Got to take Cyprien at 31, because Ravens will take him at 32.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
That's a good possibility for DL depth. I was leaning toward that until recently. I like Brandon Williams too.
Dobbs usualy played RDE though and Tukuafu LDE though it doesn't really matter. I figured they may want to keep them both since they have roles on offense too. I agree only one will probably stay and it will be Dobbs. We only kept 7 DL to hide Ian Williams. I think they will go back to 6 this year. Soap as the NT only got 30% of the snaps. Dorsey as the NT will get more playing in the nickel also and maybe end. I think we'll only keep two guys there at NT and just look to improve the DE depth to prepare for the days of Justin being done.

Yeah, but Dorsey isn't a long term solution and he isn't a true NT. Whether we draft a NT or not probably depends on how Baalke feels about Ian Williams (who was resigned for backup money) and whether or not a good prospect falls to us.

We probably won't make any drastic moves to acquire a NT in this draft. But if someone like Brandon Williams (who is a decent big pass rusher and versatile enough to play DE or NT) is available in the 3rd round, I'd be surprised if we didn't take him.
I'd love to get Brandon Williams also, I always keep getting hung up on what a typical 3-4 NT should be though. They are typically a large two gap NT. Our 3-4 defense is different where the NT covers 1 gap and is expected to penetrate. Dorsey was a beast in college and we'll surprise playing this style. We'll then sign him for more money long term. I kept thinking he would be a DE when we signed him, but they said he's the NT and now I agree the more I learn about it. He'll be more like Ratliff the NT in Dallas than like Hampton from Pitts.
Share 49ersWebzone