LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Evolve don't Revolve

This is for everyone who has Datone Jones and Jonathan Cyprien/Matt Elam as our first two picks in their mocks. Or any D-Line/Safety tandem you decided to pick. This is not a mock but a strategy, a well thought out one at that.

Making our offense elite for the next few years should be Baalkes focus early in the draft. Kap, Gore, Vernon Davis, Crabtree and Boldin with a great O-line. Yes I know its kind of already "elite" and Anquan is a great addition to that but in my opinion he's a replacement for Manningham who won't be ready until the end of the year and who I thought did really well up until the injury and I think he can be a proper no.2 receiver. He's only 26 and played and performed at the highest level. AJ also can hopefully step up into the slot as long as he puts the effort in needed.

Crabtree - no.1
Boldin 1 year rental then hopefully Mario's back next year no.2
AJ - no.3
Kyle Williams - no.4
Lockette no.5
Mario - IR

So it looks pretty good but Crabtree will be up for contract renewals next year. Now nobody knows whether or not he is going to want mega bucks but I think with his history Baalke would be foolish not to prepare for this. If we don't have a potential no.1 receiver in the squad then Crabtree will hold all the aces in the contract negotiations and if he does want a huge contract then we'd have to draft a rookie next year and hope he steps up to no.1 immediately or pay Crabtree his money. (IMO too big a risk for a team that are SB contenders)

Therefore I believe a WR in the first round is a must. Losing Crabtree and not having a top replacement for him would be devastating for a team knocking on the door of a Superbowl. This is a young team and we have to look further than just next year, that's a general managers job. Also if Crabtree is ok in contract negotiations and we can easily afford him then we could have devastating 1-2 WR tandem Rice and Taylor style that would set us up for years to come. Either way it makes soooo much sense to go get him this year.

Also with Delanies departure there is a glaring hole for a no.2 Tight End now.

Choices:

Trade up high for:
Corderelle Patterson
Tavon Austin

Trade up into the twenties:
De'Andre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
Robert Woods
Tyler Eifert

Stay at 31 possibly 34
Terrence Williams

I know there are more but these are only the ones I can see as being no.1 receivers with upside to probably get near Crabtree's level. Eifert I'll be honest I'm not sure how big the difference will end up being between him and the next guys Ertz or Escobar, but I'll put it down that he's a top 20 talent so bargain after that.

With 13 draft picks we can potentially get whoever we want and we don't have enough room for 13 rookies. All depends on who our scouts like the most. Austin and Patterson are both predicted to be gone by 15-17 Which might just be too much of a gamble for Baalke.

Eifert goes from a top 15 to 2nd round depending on who's mock draft it is and Keenan Allen potentially has dropped to a mid-2nd round. Who knows. What I do believe is if he is still there at 30, Atlanta won't hesitate.

In my opinion the best of the draft on offense lies in the mid to late 1st round and defense mid 2nd to 4th. Perfect

My choices:
If Eifert falls past #25 we should trade up and go get him, it'd cost us #34 and a 6th and maybe a 7th round pick. Not much for a devastating Tight End which would end the days of Vernon taking on double coverage. The way Gronk and Henandez have been last couple years has led the Pats to a SB and a AFC championship game and Brady putting up huge numbers. Again. And with that they didn't need to rely on Welker when he wanted a big contract so they let him walk. In the Tight Ends department you have a deep threat in VD and a RZ target in Eifert which can make use of Kaps incredible arm and give a big FU to all the coaches that are studying against the read option.

Then for a future no.1 receiver, there's a lot to choose from and I would be happy with any of the names above. Personally Hopkins aka Nuke around the mid twenties which would cost us #31 and a 4th. Just love to hear Nuke every time he catches for a first down and he's my personal favourite especially after the Chick-Fil-A Bowl (incerdible game) but Baalke could go with anyone in the names aforementioned that would benefit us hugely and i wouldn't be upset with any of them. They all have fantastic upside.

We would still have our late 2nd, two thirds and a 4th to shore up our D with 2 safeties, D-line and a CB even though we have about 6. The Defense could be well covered with picks like Swearinger/Rambo/Banks etc at Safety and Brandon Williams/Montari Hughes/William Ghloston etc for D-Line.

So for defensive minded people on the Zone who are adamant on Datone Jones and Cyprien. Jones and Cyprien are just replacements for what we already have, it is not moving us forward or evolving which is what great NFL teams must do, Jones isn't even known for taking on double teams which is one of the things J.Smith does so well that leaves Aldon open to get the sack. Cyprien I feel would just be a wasted pick he's just a poorer Goldson, maybe in a few years he becomes better but we'll be waiting a few years to get back to where we were last year. Which wasn't good enough anyway. We'd just be revolving players in and out and poorer ones at that.

If 49ers went this way in the draft the offense would be hugely improved and immediate Superbowl favourites, while protecting themselves against a possible greedy WR. (Who can blame him, did you see Megatrons contract)
The Defense gets its future replacement for J.Smith, gets improved with Donte Whitners replacement and depending on Trent Robinson we could go for ball hawking FS.

Now that's Evolution.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Apr 13, 2013 at 5:56 AM ]
I like your thinking!

I wanted Fleener last year and felt two dynamic TE's would dispel the need for more dynamic WR's and fits better into our power running game. But now we have both Boldin and Crabtree and Williams/Manningham/AJ in the slot with viable experience at all positions AND have high potential guys such as Lockette.

NOW if you add in that dynamic 6'7" TE who can also catch (esp. in the RZ/EZ), run great routes and is stellar in the blocking game you not only have a backup for VD but you increase headaches for DC's b/c we can hit you from everywhere/anytime! The "looks" alone would create nightmares.

So I agree, I think a dynamic TE could really solve 3 issues 1) Backup to VD should he go down = we don't miss a beat on offense 2) Formations - can move he or VD out wide or out of the Q formation and 3) It, in many ways, eliminates the need (this year) to get another dynamic receiver. It's the equivalent of getting that prototypical two-gap NT. This one position can have a positive ripple effect throughout the entire team.

Then like you said, we target our other holes in FS, DE and CB/NT.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM ]
I agree with your thinking. I've been a huge supporter of Keenan Allen/Robert Woods/Tyler Eifert in the 1st BUT....

1) No way should we give up a high 3rd (the cost it would take) to trade up to the early-mid 20's for a luxury pick. This draft is too deep in the top 100 and that 3rd should net us another starter (ex. Travis Kelce, Philip Thomas, DJ Swearinger, etc.)... Tavon Austin would be the only player worth a 1st and 3rd IMO.

2) Either Keeenan Allen, Corradelle Patterson, or Robert Woods will be available at the 31st pick (no need to trade up)

3) Terrance Williams is TERRIBLE value in the late 1st... he will be lucky to go early 3rd. The guy gets no separation and wasn't even a top 5 wr at the Senior Bowl.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM ]
Originally posted by smithc28:

Appreciate the effort put in, but many times, I was like wtf?

- agree that if Eifert falls to # 25, moving up to get him works for me.
- we just don't have a clue if Crabtree really wants to remain a 49er.. no point in worrying.
- drafting a WR early is fine to do, if the value presents itself.
- Don't trade up for a friggin WR though.
- we have Kaepernick. whatever happened to that grand theory of great QBs can make any receiver look great?
- You judge Datone Jones as if he's a developed veteran. Bad move there. Whichever DL we draft has to be developed. Justin didn't step in day 1 and play flawlessly.
- you don't know that it will take Cyprien "a few years".. with this front 7, any safety we plug in COULD have instant success... we just.. don't.. know...
You can apply your same thought process to the defensive line. Look how much they struggled when J. Smith out. Now take into consideration he's getting old, his contract is coming up (not sure but i think it is) then why not get someone to groom?
I don't really care how it's done, if we were to get Eifert, Allen, Austin, or Corradelle, I'm all for it.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Wow, finally another like-minded 9ers fan. I have been saying all along to give priorty to the O as opposed to the D. My key rationale are 2 fold :

1) "Defense doesn't win championships" anymore
2) Our current crop of stars from the 2005-2007 draft class such as Frank, Vernon and Pat are aging now - as such as MUST WIN NOW

I am not sure about trading all the way up to get Patterson or Austin cos they would require a lot to get it done. But, I will say this, I want a top tall deep threat wideout at least at 31st and followed by a top TE at 34th. To me, they are :

• 31st - Justin Hunter
  • 34th - Zach Ertz

Honestly, in my opinion, we are just a couple of offensive weapons to get us over the hump. Our O has got to a point in being decent, but unless we place priorty at the draft to further bolster our line-up, we are going to be worse than last season. Anquan is a huge addition and easily replaced Randy Moss. But, Manningham from all accounts doesn't seem like he will be ready for the start of the season. Then, you add on the loss of Delanie which is huge. It is imperative we need to not just fill the holes but to ensure we have legit playmakers in thoss positions.

Let's face it, when we are down by 17, who is going to get it done for us ? Simple, our O. We have got to a point of being explosive with Kaep under center, but with a couple of more weapons, it will take us over the edge.

But, hey if you can find a way to get us Cordarrelle Patterson, please do it as long as it doesn't affect our TE pick.
  • RedAu
  • Veteran
Defense will forever be Offense's ugly stepsister. A rookie WR/TE will not make or break the team. Injuries at OLB or D-Line will. We need high-quality players who can come in on day one and spell J.Smith and A.Smith to keep them fresh for the playoffs. Sure Crabtree's contract is up next year, but so is Justin's and he is 34.

Totally agree that great quarterbacks make better receivers. I'm pretty sure that Baalke has the pulse of the team and will go defense early.
Originally posted by RedAu:
Defense will forever be Offense's ugly stepsister. A rookie WR/TE will not make or break the team. Injuries at OLB or D-Line will. We need high-quality players who can come in on day one and spell J.Smith and A.Smith to keep them fresh for the playoffs. Sure Crabtree's contract is up next year, but so is Justin's and he is 34.

Totally agree that great quarterbacks make better receivers. I'm pretty sure that Baalke has the pulse of the team and will go defense early.

More great points. BUT, if VD goes down?
Horrible idea we need defense N replacements ..seem like u wanna make us into tha 2000's colts all offensive no defense Hhmmm how many super bowls did that win P.Manning just 1 ...this is a rare defense heavy draft class we need to stock up get tha rookies learning N ready to take over ..

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Horrible idea we need defense N replacements ..seem like u wanna make us into tha 2000's colts all offensive no defense Hhmmm how many super bowls did that win P.Manning just 1 ...this is a rare defense heavy draft class we need to stock up get tha rookies learning N ready to take over ..

Hey, let's talk when we win that 6th Super Bowl first, shall we ?

People really seem to totally overlook we are in serious danger of flushing down our current crop of stars from the 2005-2007 draft class (Frank, Vernon and Pat) down the tubes if we still can't get over the hump this coming season.

If we still can't win with Frank, Vernon and Pat, we will have even more serious problems once they start to decline !! Who are going to replace them then ?! Bowman might be able to replace Pat, but you are still 1 ILB short. Other than that, we have no stud RBs or TE to replace Frank nor Vernon. And with teams like the Seahawks gradually maturing into their prime, I don't even want to think about what might be looming unless we do something about it now.
  • Tman
  • Veteran

Originally posted by Rascal:

Hey, let's talk when we win that 6th Super Bowl first, shall we ?

People really seem to totally overlook we are in serious danger of flushing down our current crop of stars from the 2005-2007 draft class (Frank, Vernon and Pat) down the tubes if we still can't get over the hump this coming season.

If we still can't win with Frank, Vernon and Pat, we will have even more serious problems once they start to decline !! Who are going to replace them then ?! Bowman might be able to replace Pat, but you are still 1 ILB short. Other than that, we have no stud RBs or TE to replace Frank nor Vernon. And with teams like the Seahawks gradually maturing into their prime, I don't even want to think about what might be looming unless we do something about it now.

A great offensive doesn't mean a super bowl ...we need replacements for J.Smith, T.brown,whitner (who are free agents next yr) a replacement for goldson probably a esplanade for overpaid Rogers next yr ... an in general backups that can sub in for J.Smith N other d-linemen...why is it so hard for y'all to see we need a balanced team to win
Originally posted by Rascal:
Wow, finally another like-minded 9ers fan. I have been saying all along to give priorty to the O as opposed to the D. My key rationale are 2 fold :

1) "Defense doesn't win championships" anymore
2) Our current crop of stars from the 2005-2007 draft class such as Frank, Vernon and Pat are aging now - as such as MUST WIN NOW

I am not sure about trading all the way up to get Patterson or Austin cos they would require a lot to get it done. But, I will say this, I want a top tall deep threat wideout at least at 31st and followed by a top TE at 34th. To me, they are :

• 31st - Justin Hunter
  • 34th - Zach Ertz

Honestly, in my opinion, we are just a couple of offensive weapons to get us over the hump. Our O has got to a point in being decent, but unless we place priorty at the draft to further bolster our line-up, we are going to be worse than last season. Anquan is a huge addition and easily replaced Randy Moss. But, Manningham from all accounts doesn't seem like he will be ready for the start of the season. Then, you add on the loss of Delanie which is huge. It is imperative we need to not just fill the holes but to ensure we have legit playmakers in thoss positions.

Let's face it, when we are down by 17, who is going to get it done for us ? Simple, our O. We have got to a point of being explosive with Kaep under center, but with a couple of more weapons, it will take us over the edge.

But, hey if you can find a way to get us Cordarrelle Patterson, please do it as long as it doesn't affect our TE pick.

Yeah my top WR of choice is Hopkins (without using 4 draft picks in a trade) but I won't complain at any of them. Forgot about Justin Hunter tbh.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM ]
  • RedAu
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
More great points. BUT, if VD goes down?

Our offense does not run through VD, but our D's dominance depends almost entirely on the front 3. As for the "hump" we need to get over, it was self inflicted (because of the lack of high quality backups). D allowed just 16 TDs in first 13 games and 19 TDs in last 6.

We need D-Line, OLB, and FS help.

That said a TE in the 3rd would be cool.
Share 49ersWebzone