LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Matt Elam - S Florida

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
If we were replacing whitner than sure this kid would be the younger version. But were not and he's not a fs at the next level. Pass on him.

Why do you say both these things?
1. Vaccaro

2. Cyprien

3. Elam
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

He's guessing.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's a little undersized I think we need a bigger, more physical safety.

Lol you have obviously not watched Elam play. He is as physical as they come and always around the ball
[ Edited by Sims84 on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's a little undersized I think we need a bigger, more physical safety.

Lol you have obviously not watched Elam play. He is as physical as they come and always around the ball

Yeah he runs through people.

Yet he's still 5'10".....be as physical as you want, that still won't help him defend a 6'4" TE, especially when coverage isn't his strength to begin with. What do people not comprehend about the massive disadvantage having two of the smallest starting safeties in the NFL, starting in the SAME secondary, would represent????

You can get by with one under-sized safety.....you don't get by with two under-sized strong safeties, of which neither presents a strength in their ability to cover.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yet he's still 5'10".....be as physical as you want, that still won't help him defend a 6'4" TE, especially when coverage isn't his strength to begin with. What do people not comprehend about the massive disadvantage having two of the smallest starting safeties in the NFL, starting in the SAME secondary, would represent????

You can get by with one under-sized safety.....you don't get by with two under-sized strong safeties, of which neither presents a strength in their ability to cover.

Lol Bowman and Willis normally cover the TE's. When was the last time Goldson drew the assignment of following a TE everywhere?? Willis covered Gonzo, Finley, Pitta, Pettigrew ect...not our FS Goldson. Matt Elam can play the role Dashon played...
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Yeah, I agree... Elam is just a good football player. Also, I just read a mock draft that mentions Elam impressing at his Pro Day and showing more versatility as a deep safety than he'd been given credit for. So, he may be a better fit than most think. I thought it was ironic that I read that right after posting.

In any case, I think it might be wise to draft two players that can play safety. If Elam is one of them, it will likely be at #31 or #34, so that leaves the option to draft one of Phillips, Rambo, Amerson, Duke Williams, etc.... which would give a special teams player this year, more talented depth, and a player who may be able to replace Whitner after next season if he does not re-sign (doubtful he does, IMO). According to Fangio the two safeties in his scheme are interchangeable, but if Elam fails to excel in deep coverage then he can replace Whitner and the later round pick can take over FS. The players I listed are considered good potential deep safeties.

Drafting with that strategy should give a solid back-up plan, I think. That would mitigate the risk some associate with Elam.

This is fun to talk about, but I can't help feeling it's completely pointless, lulz. Baalke will Baalke. I'm confident that this draft will go well.

I like both Elam and Williams and would be happily surprised if Baalke agreed! And the bold is so true! But it is such a fun waste of time!
Originally posted by Wodwo:

He's guessing.

hah. Its his opinion. Everyone is "guessing," even GMs etc... I appreciate his input.
The Gators used him similarly to how Pittsburgh uses Troy. Yes he was a SS on paper but did it all. Played centerfield, man to man, in the box, over the TE, blitzed, and played on punt and kick coverage. The kid is just an outstanding football player. I'm not saying he is the next Troy but if anyone thinks he can't come in a play Goldson's role in our system is sadly mistaken. Yes he is 5'10 but his physicality and natural talent trump his size. He is fearless, the type of player that couldn't care less who was coming at him, his mindset is destroy you, similar to Dashon but Elam is far more polished than Goldson was coming out of college
[ Edited by Sims84 on Apr 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM ]

Gore is too small too...never turn down a good player based on perceived short-comings...no pun intended.
The Gators used him similarly to how Pittsburgh uses Troy. Yes he was a SS on paper but did it all. Played centerfield, man to man, in the box, over the TE, blitzed, and played on punt and kick coverage. The kid is just an outstanding football player. I'm not saying he is the next Troy but if anyone thinks he can't come in a play Goldson's role in our system is sadly mistaken. Yes he is 5'10 but his physicality and natural talent trump his size. He is fearless, the type of player that couldn't care less who was coming at him, his mindset is destroy you, similar to Dashon but Elam is far more polished than Goldson was coming out of college

thank you for this post. i've been arguing that Troy was a better comparison than Whitner. Elam was interchangeable at the safety spot in Florida. people focus so much on size, but like you mentioned earlier, our system rarely places are safety 1-on-1 against a TE. a linebacker like Willis and Bowman normally have that assignment.

also, Pittsburgh was pretty successful with having two safeties 6 feet or under. the key is having a consistent pass rush.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

thank you for this post. i've been arguing that Troy was a better comparison than Whitner. Elam was interchangeable at the safety spot in Florida. people focus so much on size, but like you mentioned earlier, our system rarely places are safety 1-on-1 against a TE. a linebacker like Willis and Bowman normally have that assignment.

also, Pittsburgh was pretty successful with having two safeties 6 feet or under. the key is having a consistent pass rush.

Yup. This. As said earlier, some of the best safeties are 5'10''
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Yup. This. As said earlier, some of the best safeties are 5'10''
You are exactly right. That's why the Niners should focus on their Dline at 31 and take advantage of the FS depth later in the draft. Even if they pick one at 34 it'd probably be early. I think they can easily draft a starting caliber FS at 61, maybe even 74.
Damn he was there at 31 and Balt got him. If that trade didn't go through this might have been the next best option.

Baltimore took em at 32 if i recall.
Share 49ersWebzone