LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Matt Elam - S Florida

I really like this guy, Do you think we take him with one of our top 3 picks?

https

https

https

I think we should get him. Could be a day one starter.

Good for a replacement for Whitner. Bad for a starting FS.

I wouldn't mind drafting him if none of the other top tier safeties are available.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Good for a replacement for Whitner. Bad for a starting FS.

I wouldn't mind drafting him if none of the other top tier safeties are available.

I think he can play FS. Shows ball hawk skills. I read that he was a DB as a freshman.

He is 5;10; 208 pounds. He reminds me of a meaner Earl Thomas who is also 5'10'' and 205 pounds himself.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I think he can play FS. Shows ball hawk skills. I read that he was a DB as a freshman.

He is 5;10; 208 pounds. He reminds me of a meaner Earl Thomas who is also 5'10'' and 205 pounds himself.

I'm hearing a lot of Whitner comparisons. But I don't watch much Florida games so I shouldn't be harsh on the guy.

If he ends up like an Earl Thomas kind of player, I would love that.

LOL, if you mean like Earl Thomas without the coverage ability...then maybe. In anycase, I don't see it happening in the slightest, two midget safeties starting is an absolute recipe for disaster.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL, if you mean like Earl Thomas without the coverage ability...then maybe. In anycase, I don't see it happening in the slightest, two midget safeties starting is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Wasn't he a corner before? Should have some coverage ability. But having two small guys back there is bad yeah. I would say he's whitner with better coverage ability then.
Just don't see us focusing on SS this year since we have a huge hole at FS. Maybe we look at this position next year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He's a little undersized I think we need a bigger, more physical safety.
Box safeties are a dime a dozen. Vaccaro, Cyprien, Swearinger, and even Reid offer more versatility.
[ Edited by 49ersGiants7 on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM ]
My favorite safety coming out this year,.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
I just don't see the fit....

The 49ers run a two deep zone and Elam was used primarily in the box and in the slot.

Maybe the 49ers like what they see on film when he did line up in a deep zone and they think he would fit.

It's difficult to assess a deep safety as a fan because broadcast cameras rarely show the coverages.

I've only watched cut-ups from a couple games, but that combined with what I've read makes me think the 49ers won't draft him.

I will say with confidence that he isn't anywhere close to being the coverage safety that Earl Thomas is. That's a bad comparison... almost opposite of each other, really.

Who knows with Baalke, though... amirite?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I just don't see the fit....

The 49ers run a two deep zone and Elam was used primarily in the box and in the slot.

Maybe the 49ers like what they see on film when he did line up in a deep zone and they think he would fit.

It's difficult to assess a deep safety as a fan because broadcast cameras rarely show the coverages.

I've only watched cut-ups from a couple games, but that combined with what I've read makes me think the 49ers won't draft him.

I will say with confidence that he isn't anywhere close to being the coverage safety that Earl Thomas is. That's a bad comparison... almost opposite of each other, really.

Who knows with Baalke, though... amirite?
haha yeah just my opinion. I have limited knowledge of this kind of stuff. I just see a good football player.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
haha yeah just my opinion. I have limited knowledge of this kind of stuff. I just see a good football player.

Yeah, I agree... Elam is just a good football player. Also, I just read a mock draft that mentions Elam impressing at his Pro Day and showing more versatility as a deep safety than he'd been given credit for. So, he may be a better fit than most think. I thought it was ironic that I read that right after posting.

In any case, I think it might be wise to draft two players that can play safety. If Elam is one of them, it will likely be at #31 or #34, so that leaves the option to draft one of Phillips, Rambo, Amerson, Duke Williams, etc.... which would give a special teams player this year, more talented depth, and a player who may be able to replace Whitner after next season if he does not re-sign (doubtful he does, IMO). According to Fangio the two safeties in his scheme are interchangeable, but if Elam fails to excel in deep coverage then he can replace Whitner and the later round pick can take over FS. The players I listed are considered good potential deep safeties.

Drafting with that strategy should give a solid back-up plan, I think. That would mitigate the risk some associate with Elam.

This is fun to talk about, but I can't help feeling it's completely pointless, lulz. Baalke will Baalke. I'm confident that this draft will go well.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The guy is overrated in my opinion.. he's too stiff... it'll be a waste to use an early pick on him..
If we were replacing whitner than sure this kid would be the younger version. But were not and he's not a fs at the next level. Pass on him.
Share 49ersWebzone