There are 216 users in the forums

OLB is a suprising need that is being overlooked

Brooks isn't going anywhere...the man can rush from the outside or the inside and is probably our best run defender at the position. He's strong, stays relatively healthy and has seriously improved his conditioning (he NEVER comes off the field).

Some teams would pay him as their #1 threat at LB...he is thought of as the 4th best of the starters on this team...think about that....
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Jenkins and Travardo Williams are my next 2 favorites after him, which are probably better value. The $$$ is my point. Out of all of the people with high salaries next year when Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Crabtree need extensions, Rogers and Brooks are the two players that are the most overpaid. I feel these guys are going to get the axe, and we need to find future all stars to groom that will play on a rookie contract and produce thus giving us greater value with greater potential returns which is the reason I made this thread in the first place.

You mean you made this thread because the other one got locked.
OLB, DE, NT depth are a need. Last year we hardly ever subsituted on our D line.

Parys comes back that gives us some depth also Flemming and Johnson. I trust Tomsula to build up one of these guys. Franklin was a stud with us, and was later cut by the Saints, the same fate awaits Sopoaga and RJF.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I really think Darius Fleming is gonna be a very pleasant surprise this year. Just a feeling.
i sure hope so.. or Cam Johnson, anyone
Brooks isnt over paid, he just finally getting paid and every OLB doesnt have to be a pass rusher. There are plenty of candidates to find the money before we get to Brooks. Goody, Rogers, Whitner, and Gore are all money that could and should come off the cap figure before you touch our LB corp. We have more than enough flexibility without trying to fix things that arent broken.
Ahmad is one of the reasons our defense is so stout against the run , and he has to be accounted for when he is rushing the passer ....if anything , we need to find a big motor OLB to plug into the roatation, to limit his snaps, so that he is more effective late in the season

theres a reason Ahmad got paid , he is a versatile player, he can be an edge rusher in the nickel & dime packages, and his talents in stopping the run are an essential ingredient in the success of our defense
Yeah, don't really want to hear about Brooks' career stats. I'm far more interested in what he's been doing lately for us. He has been doing well. 13.5 sacks and averaging 35 QB hurries in the last 2 years is nothing to dismiss. He also has stipulations in his contract that make each year look potentially more pricey than they are or could be.

All that said, he is getting older, and we do want to make sure that we have a young guy or two that show enough promise to develop behind him. Do we have that in Cam J or Fleming? Eh... I wouldn't bank on it, though possible. So, if a rush LB is available in the draft that presents excellent value? Hey, I got no problem with us drafting him.
What is it with all the hate for Ahmad. It's bonkers. Ahmad saved our bacon against NE, ATL...he's a producer and does not disappear in the big games. He plays a way different position than ASmith in the 49er scheme of things, so yes he has less sacks. Fangio asks him to do other things. Big deal? Seriously, you need to divorce the salary discussion from the play assessment if you want to be credible.

I see a lock coming here too.
Nothing is being overlooked at this time. This draft is all about BPA - Best Player Available and OLB is one of the positions that should be addressed if the draft falls that way. The Niners have 5 OLB's on the roster in Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming, and Johnson. If someone falls into their lap like Collins, he would be a great pickup no later than the end of the 3rd round.
It's nice to know that everyone isn't suffering from short term memory on here. When you hear talk of replacing a guy that is one of the best at his position, you truly know it's the offseason. Putting Ahmad Brooks and Carlos Rogers in the same boat is beyond absurd. Last I checked, Brooks has only started for 2 years, so for him to average "only" 6.5 sacks per year in the time he's been here isn't bad. OLB is not a need that is being overlooked. I haven't seen many mocks on here where anyone overlooked the position. It's just not one where we need to go early (before the 4th round).

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What is it with all the hate for Ahmad. It's bonkers. Ahmad saved our bacon against NE, ATL...he's a producer and does not disappear in the big games. He plays a way different position than ASmith in the 49er scheme of things, so yes he has less sacks. Fangio asks him to do other things. Big deal? Seriously, you need to divorce the salary discussion from the play assessment if you want to be credible.

I see a lock coming here too.

I agree.

The OP, NTeply49, got locked on this thread; a thread that was started just yesterday/

Ahmad Brooks needs to be replaced Started Apr 9, 2013 at 19:39:49 NTeply49

According to the OP. Ahmad Brooks is the biggest weakness on our team outside on our team outside of free safety.

Just so wrong it is mind boggling.

Ahmad Brooks may be one best players on the squad. He did make 2nd team All Pro last year.

Not taking this thread seriously. Whilst you never have enough pass rushers, to suggest that Brooks is about to become a cap casualty comes from the same school of posting that recently suggested that because Willis is an inside linebacker and because this is a relatively unimportant position (not my words) he should be traded for a 2nd round draft pick.

SMH.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Jenkins and Travardo Williams are my next 2 favorites after him, which are probably better value. The $$$ is my point. Out of all of the people with high salaries next year when Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Crabtree need extensions, Rogers and Brooks are the two players that are the most overpaid. I feel these guys are going to get the axe, and we need to find future all stars to groom that will play on a rookie contract and produce thus giving us greater value with greater potential returns which is the reason I made this thread in the first place.

I disagree with the Brooks bit. I would also get rid of Whitner and Goodwin before I got rid of Rogers! I think Whitner and Goodwin combine for something like $10m

Having said that I think all three will be gone by next offseason.

I could be wrong but I also remember reading Brooks has a $2.5 million escalator in his contract if he gets 12 sacks or more in a season. Ie, if he doesn't hit it his cap number is reduced by 2.5m
Originally posted by English:
Not taking this thread seriously. Whilst you never have enough pass rushers, to suggest that Brooks is about to become a cap casualty comes from the same school of posting that recently suggested that because Willis is an inside linebacker and because this is a relatively unimportant position (not my words) he should be traded for a 2nd round draft pick.

SMH.

Don't just look at sacks and base your opinion of Brooks on that...he's acknowledged by some pretty prestigious analysts (including Mayock) as one of the best all-around OLB's in the league. Had it not been for Ahmad, we most likely wouldn't have been in the SB. His hit on Ryan really changed what the Falcons could do on their final drive. I agree Collins would be a very good pick...but he's not going to replace AB anytime soon. Haralson's coming back for what could be his last season in SF, so Collins would be in position to become the #1 b/u at OLB. I've looked at dozens of mocks in this forum and from Walter's Football mock database...and most call for at least one OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone