LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Can the Niners draft a 16 game rookie starter in this draft?

Originally posted by iLL49er:
my preference would be to move up for desmond trufant or sheldon richardson and then take tank carradine if he drops w/ the 34th pick

we can nab a safety later..there are so many in this draft

Meh, I'd pass on Trufant. Not much of a slot CB, which is where our biggest need is.

But I would love it if we took Richardson or Carradine.
Depends on what you consider a starter.... FS is an obvious need. NT could be as well. We also need another TE. Even if they kind of like Celek they need depth there.

All these position will be battles in training camp. We could easily stick with Smith, Dorsey/Williams, and Ray Mac up front if they felt comfortable with it. If I guy gets drafted early though than you can expect him to push for playing time depending on how well he performs in camp. Same with the safety. An early draft pick isn't going to be handed the starting job.

The #2 TE is the only spot I think a draft pick can win the job asap. He only has to beat Celek. If they draft a good blocking TE than I think the job will go to the rookie. If he is a pass-catcher and needs to work on his blocking then Celek might be playing. I think Kelce from Cincy is a good fit. They say his blocking is great and we need that in our TE's.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
A rookie center with a good training camp could potentially bump Goodwin off the roster due to his large salary. Brian Schwenke is my favorite center in the draft.

Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman could be solid starters but neither will ever blow you away. A rookie safety would have a good chance to start at safety. Kenny Vaccaro and Jonathon Cyprien are my two favorites at safety.

There is not a definitive starter at nose tackle for the 49ers. Glenn Dorsey could work out but any rookie could come in and potentially start. Brandon Williams and Jesse Williams are two guys I like.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Meh, I'd pass on Trufant. Not much of a slot CB, which is where our biggest need is.

u'd pass on him cuz he's not a slot cb? he's going to be a long time starter on the outside........rogers is old, TB is a FA.
they hope so, cause they need a safety to replace goldy.

u'd pass on him cuz he's not a slot cb? he's going to be a long time starter on the outside........rogers is old, TB is a FA.

Culliver should have one spot nailed down. I'm hoping Brown get's a modest extension. And I'm hoping we pick up B.W. Webb in the 3rd round to replace Rogers in the slot. I think we can get by without spending a 1st round pick on a CB. DL is more important now.
Yes, they need a new starting FS. Harbaalke have been playing their cards close to the vest, so I don't think anyone knows who they are targeting. Maybe it will become clearer that closer we get to Draft Day.
Culliver should have one spot nailed down. I'm hoping Brown get's a modest extension. And I'm hoping we pick up B.W. Webb in the 3rd round to replace Rogers in the slot. I think we can get by without spending a 1st round pick on a CB. DL is more important now.

i agree DL is more important

Sheldon Richardson would be awesome..so would Tank
No there isn't I completely agree with you danimal and have been banging on about it for a while

The only possible starter would be a no.2 Tight End whether its Eifert, Ertz, Escobar, McDonald or Kelce. And I think they'll have their reps limited to share with Celek anyway.

Baalke is a year or two ahead of everyone else, while teams are drafting for need now, we have dealt with our needs in free agency. The draft now is for the 2014 season just like last years draft is for this season coming.

Aj Jenkins - depth
Lamike - depth - (only really featured when Hunter went down)
Looney - depth
Fleming - IR
Trent Robinson - depth
Cam Johnson - depth

2014 most likely
AJ Jenkins - slot wide receiver 3/4 on depth chart depending how he comes along
La Mike - Already featured so he shares reps with Hinter and Gore
Looney - could replace Goodwin in 2014 season
Fleming - We don't know but most likely drafted to replace Haralson
Robinson - Starting Fee Safety
Cam Johnson - unsure but played his way onto the team

Don't see why anyone thinks we'll be after a Nose Tackle and a Free Safety early. Think of what holes they'll be next year and year after and that's most likely Baalkes strategy.

If Baalke does target NT and FS early on I'll eat crow, unless the FS can be moved to SS to replace Whitner.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM ]
Don't draft a FS in the first!? Put down the Madden ya GMs.
You don't draft a Guard either but I think we are all pretty happy with Iupati. Draft me a ball hawk pro bowl FS and I don't give a s**t what pick you use.

Love that everyone has us pegged with Cyprien or Reid. Probably means Baalke will draft a CB and move to safety, or some 3rd round prospect in the 2nd.
i agree DL is more important

Sheldon Richardson would be awesome..so would Tank

Yeah, I think Tank could end up being a monster. It's a bit risky, since he's primarily been a 4-3 DE and he's coming off an ACL injury. But we also wouldn't need to trade up to get him (like we would with Richardson).
Eifert or Ertz!!! Two tight end sets... Better than Patriots!
[ Edited by NYCNINER on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]
Yeah, I think Tank could end up being a monster. It's a bit risky, since he's primarily been a 4-3 DE and he's coming off an ACL injury. But we also wouldn't need to trade up to get him (like we would with Richardson).

we can switch to 4-3 very easily
we can switch to 4-3 very easily

Meeh...3-4 defenses are better. Especially against the run.
Share 49ersWebzone