There are 148 users in the forums

The Harbaalke Dynamic.

Baalke has been with the organization since 2005 so I assume there's a since of seniority and leadership between him a Harbaugh. I read an interview with Jed York and he talks about one of the first interviews with Harbaugh. Here's an exert

"We're all suited up and we're at a friend of mine's house, it's very quiet and secluded.

And about 10 minutes into it, Jim kind of unloosens his tie and he's, 'Do you mind if I put in a dip?' He throws one in, Trent throws one in, and I'm like, 'This is over.'

And they ended up talking for another six hours. We didn't know where the light-switch was in my friend's guest house and we were there—we started at lunch, and this is January in California, so by six o'clock it gets fairly. I mean, it was like pitch-black in there.

And our friend comes back and he's like, 'You know, there are lights. You guys can turn on the lights.' We didn't know where the lights were and those guys were just still talking ball and still talking philosophy."

So clearly those two have chemistry but I was wondering how much say Harbaugh gets in the type of players drafted. Some of the decisions like Kaepernick, Jenkins, and Aldon have Harbaughs name written all over them. Reaching for Aldon and REACHING(caps imply a bigger reach) for Jenkins are clearly guided by intuition. I mean are they both just that in sync? I mean Aldon payed off clearly, and Kaepernick, but at the time people were screaming for Prince Amuk or Blaine Gab over Smith and at the time they looked pretty good. I don't think Aldon Smith was on anyone radar. Bold ideas like that usually are not shared. So whos calling the shots? Kaepernick although he wasn't a reach he clearly was an intuitive pick on Harbaughs part. I don't think anyone was expecting him either. I think its a healthy balance on who gets picked but what do you guys think is the brains behind these eccentric picks?
Kaepernick was talked about plenty before the draft and Harbaugh put him through a workout, but I see what you're saying.

I think Baalke has more control over the organization than people think. Rumor was Harbaugh wanted Owen Marecic in the middle part of the 2011 draft, but Baalke overruled him and got Culliver. We wound up with Culliver/Hunter which turned out great, because we got a better fullback in the 7th round in Bruce Miller.I think Baalke is a great filter for Harbaugh to have.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I don't think Aldon Smith was on anyone radar. Kaepernick . . . I don't think anyone was expecting him either.

Harbaalke is a great team. Baalke has the final say, but he's very reasonable and can be persuaded to change his mind by the coach (Simpletary = Taylor Mays, etc) (Harbaugh = Kap, etc). BTW I and several others liked Aldon, but in a trade back to #15 range. And Kap was also well-liked by many on the webzone, but few projected early greatness for Kap or Aldon.
I liken Baalke to to Billy Beane in "Moneyball." He's the guy with the eye for finding talent to fit within the system at a reasonable cost. He most likely finds a couple guys, hashes out the details, and presents the analysis to Harbaugh. Harbaugh most likely has the "final" say with his personnel, however. I use the term, "final," loosely here... It seems like they both have a pretty like-minded football philosophy, and I'm sure each are open to the other's suggestions.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mkmasn:
I liken Baalke to to Billy Beane in "Moneyball." He's the guy with the eye for finding talent to fit within the system at a reasonable cost. He most likely finds a couple guys, hashes out the details, and presents the analysis to Harbaugh. Harbaugh most likely has the "final" say with his personnel, however. I use the term, "final," loosely here... It seems like they both have a pretty like-minded football philosophy, and I'm sure each are open to the other's suggestions.

When Harbaugh was hired, a reporter asked him who had the trigger--meaning final say. Harbaugh immediately said that it was Baalke.

My understanding is the Baalke and the personnel staff work closely with Harbaugh and the coaching staff in player selection.

I would also bet, that Harbaugh pushed for Kaepernick.
These guys work great together and are doing a great job for the 49ers!
Originally posted by buck:
When Harbaugh was hired, a reporter asked him who had the trigger--meaning final say. Harbaugh immediately said that it was Baalke.

My understanding is the Baalke and the personnel staff work closely with Harbaugh and the coaching staff in player selection.

Yea that was kind of my point. Picks like LMG, Kaep,Hunter, and Jenkins seem like Harbaugh picks. It's nice that Harbaugh has the type of freedom to draft those type of guys. It seems like Baalke trust him enough to pick the guys that will fit Harbaughs system. I think this next draft will be very interesting. I very much think Harbaugh has a clear vision of his offense and we haven't seen the finished product. I could see Baalke allowing him to pick up a couple more of those pieces but I honestly I would prefer Baalke and his team evaluating the talent pool and reloading the roster.
Just because Aldon wasn't your radar doesn't mean he wasn't on anyone's radar.

These guys have their own scouts and do their own research. They don't get most of their info from youtube highlights or Mel Kiper. This is why they get paid for what they do. And why overreactions to "reaches" or "steals" on draft day are silly.
Good post.

Disagree w/you premise that one person is calling the shots.

IMO, no real data to base it upon, is Baalke is the guy in control.

HOWEVER, Real, effective leaders are inclusive people. They take into account many opinions and ideas and aren't afraid if some has an opposing view. Those types of leaders tend to seperate themselves from the pack and excel. Baalke is that type of leader.

Does he make mistakes - absolutely! Does he hit more than miss - for sure. IMO, he and JH have an excellent working relationship - and I hope it goes on and on andon.
So how did the L. James pick go? He already had Kendall Hunter... Did Harbaugh push for James because he had seen him play or was Baalke big on him as well? At the time it was a head scratcher but it worked out good. Even moving forward I still don't understand it completely.

Maybe both guys felt like James would be a dynamic player (BPA) and they couldn't pass him up even with Hunter on the roster.
It also makes me think that just because we have 2 great inside linebackers and 2 good outside linebackers that it doesn't rule out drafting those positions early, if they think the player is that good.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
So how did the L. James pick go? He already had Kendall Hunter... Did Harbaugh push for James because he had seen him play or was Baalke big on him as well? At the time it was a head scratcher but it worked out good. Even moving forward I still don't understand it completely.

Maybe both guys felt like James would be a dynamic player (BPA) and they couldn't pass him up even with Hunter on the roster.
It also makes me think that just because we have 2 great inside linebackers and 2 good outside linebackers that it doesn't rule out drafting those positions early, if they think the player is that good.

If three drafts are indication, you are right. We can not rule out anything.

Baalke has to look beyond just the coming year when we draft. He knows the roster, and its potential better than we do.

He has more, and presumably better, information about the players in the draft and free agency than we do.

Heck, I am still trying to figure out to what degree the extending of Ian Williams and the signing of Glenn Dorsey lessen our needs on the defensive line and impact the draft.

I know that's what he said, but I don't buy it. I am willing to bet it is more 50-50 to 75-25 Harbaugh. Ballke may have the final say on whether we offer the player a contract, but Baalke's not calling personnel groups and plays on game day.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Some of the decisions like Kaepernick, Jenkins, and Aldon have Harbaughs name written all over them. Reaching for Aldon and REACHING(caps imply a bigger reach) for Jenkins are clearly guided by intuition. .... Bold ideas like that usually are not shared... Kaepernick although he wasn't a reach he clearly was an intuitive pick on Harbaughs part.

Picks like LMG, Kaep,Hunter, and Jenkins seem like Harbaugh picks. It's nice that Harbaugh has the type of freedom to draft those type of guys.

I have no idea how you come up with this stuff. It is pretty clear that we do not have sufficient knowledge to know this stuff.

All we really know is that they were all picked by the SF 49ers.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I know that's what he said, but I don't buy it. I am willing to bet it is more 50-50 to 75-25 Harbaugh. Ballke may have the final say on whether we offer the player a contract, but Baalke's not calling personnel groups and plays on game day.

Nobody is selling anything.

Pretty sure this discussion is about the draft--player selection---not personnel groups or who plays.

Maybe, I missed something, but did any one say that Baalke determines personnel groups or sets the game day roster.

If you think Harbaugh was not telling the truth at that press conference, that is your choice.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone