There are 192 users in the forums

iLL9ers's first 3 rounds draft strategy- Thoughts appreciated

I certainly wouldn't trade up for either Trufant or Carradine.

My problem with Carradine is that any player we trade up for (in the 1st round), should eventually become an every-down player. In order for Carradine to do that, he'd need to switch to 3-4 DE. He might be able to do this, but maybe not. Risky. Adding to the risk is that he's coming off an ACL injury.

As for Trufant, he could be a great player. But he seems like more of an outside CB, where I feel like we are pretty strong. What we need is a good slot CB. Not sure Trufant is the best fit there. We could get a guy like B.W. Webb at pick 61 or 74 to better fill that role.
I think it'd take more than the 31st and 61st pick to move up to the 12-20 pick range. Here's what I'd do instead and why...the biggest group of top talent is between picks 20-70, so if Baalke's going to trade up (most likely is), I think he could get more bang for his buck by trading into rds 2 & 3. He has plenty of mid to late rd picks to work with...and has the opportunity to come out of the 3rd rd w/7 potential blue-chippers. Doing so he could still have the #31 and 34 picks, with 3 in 2nd rd and 3 in 3rd. It's possible he'd have to trade the #31 pick in that process, but to be able to take 6-7 talented players in rds 2 & 3 would be worth it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think it'd take more than the 31st and 61st pick to move up to the 12-20 pick range. Here's what I'd do instead and why...the biggest group of top talent is between picks 20-70, so if Baalke's going to trade up (most likely is), I think he could get more bang for his buck by trading into rds 2 & 3. He has plenty of mid to late rd picks to work with...and has the opportunity to come out of the 3rd rd w/7 potential blue-chippers. Doing so he could still have the #31 and 34 picks, with 3 in 2nd rd and 3 in 3rd. It's possible he'd have to trade the #31 pick in that process, but to be able to take 6-7 talented players in rds 2 & 3 would be worth it.

interesting proposal, i can see this happening also. there's always the theory the more shots you get the higher chance you'll hit the jackpot
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Ding!! Ding! Ding!. We have a winner. You want to pick in round 2 in this draft and round 3.

Trade up on all tradable picks in rounds 4,5,6,7, you can use these to jump a few spots, or more, especially with some teams missing a lot of picks, ie Raiders, Colts, etc. They might put a higher value on the lower picks as they need the bodies.
Not a fan of trading away so much to get risky players everything I've seen N read on tank says he's a 4-3 Guy ...I'd rather have D.Jones among others players frm not trading away 2nd N 3rd picks...
We aren't married to the 3-4, we can switch to a 4-3 pretty easily and as Mike Sando pointed out the nfl has become so saturated w/ 3-4 defenses that coach bellicheck has started to move back to the 4-3 where he's finding players to fit the system easier (he moved to 3-4 for that reason yrs ago)
Originally posted by iLL49er:
I think there are 2 players in this draft that are worth moving up into the first round to get and I'd like to get both of them.

Those 2 players are Tank Carradine and Desmond Trufant. I see Carradine as the best pass rusher we can realistically move up and snatch, the guy is an animal

As for Trufant, I think he's the best CB in this draft....we need to find a way to get up there to get him, we'll probably have to move further up to get Trufant than Carradine

So below is my thoughts on what the niners should consider:

Trade 31st and 61st pick to move up into the 12-20 range and get Desmond Trufant who I feel is going to be a star

Trade 34th and 74th pick to move up into the 20-27 range to make sure we can get Tank Carradine who has the ability to rush the passer, play the run and gives 110% effort on every play, would be a great pick for us, he has high upside and will greatly improve our pass rush

That leaves us with pick 93...this is the place to address the safety issue as this is a deep draft

I like Baccari Rambo at 93rd pick, the guy is big fast and hits hard and from what i've read he's a leader but at 93 we can likely snatch up any of the following safeties:

Baccari Rambo
DJ Swearinger
TJ Mcdonald
Sharmko Thomas
Phillip Thomas

So in conclusion we'd finish the first 3 rd's of the draft with Desmond Trufant, Tank Carradine and Baccari Rambo or any of the other safeties listed above

Baalke wants a pass rusher, he wanted Bruce Irvin last year...he'll make a play for one..I think Tank's the guy to get. Trufant like I said I love, I think he's better than Millner and is going to be a very good CB..we need to get him by moving up

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you

I guess the first question is why do you think Tank Carradine is going in the first round? Most boards have 8 or 9 DE's rated above him. The two DE's most mentioned as players the Niners are serious about are Datone Jones and Margus Hunt, both of which are rated higher than Carradine. Hunt is bigger, taller and faster than Carradine.

Second, at corner, Xavier Rhodes is generally rated higher than Trufant and he's also 6'2", three inches taller than Trufant. Why not move up to take Rhodes if you're going to make a move for a corner?

Third, there are five or six safeties ranked higher than Baccari Rambo, so he might be available at 93, but some draft watchers actually think he'll still be there on day 2. Plus, Baccari Rambo has had some problems - that's why he's down the list. I see them taking a safety higher with one of their first two picks. If you're going to wait until late second or third for a safety, why not go with Tim MacDonald's son who is just as fast as Rambo, but three inches taller. MacDonald is 6'3" and can definitely jump with some of these tall TE's.
The list lof safeties had McDonald on it

As for tank he is going 1st rd...and trufant has more short area quickness than Rhodes

Eye of the beholder
It's simple draft what we lost safety 1st TE 2nd NT 3rd....or swap NT for CB....it's all good to me no matter what

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
If Culliver stays as the 3rd CB, where is Trufant going to play? Would you demote Brown or Rogers to #4 CB?

You Demote Brown or Trade him in a heartbeat...Trufant is going to be an amazing cover corner
We wouldnt have to move up to get Carradine right?
[ Edited by xela510 on Mar 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM ]
The list lof safeties had McDonald on it

As for tank he is going 1st rd...and trufant has more short area quickness than Rhodes

Eye of the beholder

Right, I saw MacDonald on the list. I'm just wondering why you prefer Rambo. I don't know much about him so I'd like to know your thinking. Also, I see your point on Trufant if it's true that he has better short area quickness. I think they'll put Brown on Harvin, but it would be nice to have someone who can absolutely stay with every little cut that player makes. Harvin is not a throw-it-to-him-even-if-he's-covered kind of receiver. He gets space, so if they can find a real quick slot corner to just cover his ass, they might completely negate his effectiveness. But on the other point, I haven't seen any prediction that has Tank going in the first round.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]
We aren't married to the 3-4, we can switch to a 4-3 pretty easily and as Mike Sando pointed out the nfl has become so saturated w/ 3-4 defenses that coach bellicheck has started to move back to the 4-3 where he's finding players to fit the system easier (he moved to 3-4 for that reason yrs ago)

So what ur plan is to start over with a new defense N have our players learn everything all over again.????d*MN just trade away everyone then N start over go back to losing is what ur plan sounds like .... NO THANK
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
So what ur plan is to start over with a new defense N have our players learn everything all over again.????d*MN just trade away everyone then N start over go back to losing is what ur plan sounds like .... NO THANK

We have the players to run 4-3 we were essentially in that alignment 60% of plays last yr
Share 49ersWebzone