LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

iLL9ers's first 3 rounds draft strategy- Thoughts appreciated

I think there are 2 players in this draft that are worth moving up into the first round to get and I'd like to get both of them.

Those 2 players are Tank Carradine and Desmond Trufant. I see Carradine as the best pass rusher we can realistically move up and snatch, the guy is an animal

As for Trufant, I think he's the best CB in this draft....we need to find a way to get up there to get him, we'll probably have to move further up to get Trufant than Carradine

So below is my thoughts on what the niners should consider:

Trade 31st and 61st pick to move up into the 12-20 range and get Desmond Trufant who I feel is going to be a star

Trade 34th and 74th pick to move up into the 20-27 range to make sure we can get Tank Carradine who has the ability to rush the passer, play the run and gives 110% effort on every play, would be a great pick for us, he has high upside and will greatly improve our pass rush

That leaves us with pick 93...this is the place to address the safety issue as this is a deep draft

I like Baccari Rambo at 93rd pick, the guy is big fast and hits hard and from what i've read he's a leader but at 93 we can likely snatch up any of the following safeties:

Baccari Rambo
DJ Swearinger
TJ Mcdonald
Sharmko Thomas
Phillip Thomas

So in conclusion we'd finish the first 3 rd's of the draft with Desmond Trufant, Tank Carradine and Baccari Rambo or any of the other safeties listed above

Baalke wants a pass rusher, he wanted Bruce Irvin last year...he'll make a play for one..I think Tank's the guy to get. Trufant like I said I love, I think he's better than Millner and is going to be a very good CB..we need to get him by moving up

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you
[ Edited by iLL49er on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:26 AM ]
I'm all for trading up. Carradine is my targeted player. Trufant too.

But the first five picks going defense might be too steep. After finding a starting free safety, needs on either side of the ball are pretty equal. If the Niners trade up for Trufant, then they might move Culliver to FS, eliminating the need for drafting a safety so high. That would leave #93 open for a TE or WR. Also, if Baalke decides to trade up, I think he'll reserve #61 or #74.
Cully was a good CB last year though, i'd like to see him continue to develop there I think he can be very good.

As for TE, I like Garrett Celek to perform well as the 2nd TE, he can block and catch..I think he'll step up. People are hyping up Delanie's loss a little too much.

I go back and forth w/ Baccari Rambo and Sharmko Thomas...when I watch Thomas I see instant ball recognition skills and great closing speed, Rambo seems to make more big plays though on the ball
If Culliver stays as the 3rd CB, where is Trufant going to play? Would you demote Brown or Rogers to #4 CB?
Brown is a FA next year, so is Carlos Rogers....We need to plan for that. I hope they bring Brown back and we'd have a trio of Cully/Brown/Trufant with TB playing the slot role when we go nickle
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Brown is a FA next year, so is Carlos Rogers....We need to plan for that. I hope they bring Brown back and we'd have a trio of Cully/Brown/Trufant with TB playing the slot role when we go nickle

Carlos Rogers is not a FA next year
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Carlos Rogers is not a FA next year

are you sure about that? if he's not, well he's 33 next year...doesn't change the equation that we need to plan for future
  • buck
  • Veteran
Cully was a good CB last year though, i'd like to see him continue to develop there I think he can be very good.

As for TE, I like Garrett Celek to perform well as the 2nd TE, he can block and catch..I think he'll step up. People are hyping up Delanie's loss a little too much.

I go back and forth w/ Baccari Rambo and Sharmko Thomas...when I watch Thomas I see instant ball recognition skills and great closing speed, Rambo seems to make more big plays though on the ball

Sharmarko Thomas played in 48 college games. He had two picks and four passes broken up in those games.
He is good against the run, but his coverage skills suck.

Rambo. Suspended for one game in 2011. Suspended for four games in 2012.
Clearly, he has learned from his mistakes. Big name, good ball skills, bad head. No thanks.
Ok that's fine, there is a long list of safeties we can take at 93.

Although I think Sharmko's coverage skills are being short changed..he covers ground fast and reacts very fast to the ball from what i can tell.

The biggest win for us would be to get both carradine and trufant.
Ok that's fine, there is a long list of safeties we can take at 93.

Although I think Sharmko's coverage skills are being short changed..he covers ground fast and reacts very fast to the ball from what i can tell.

The biggest win for us would be to get both carradine and trufant.

Not if Trufant isn't going to play next year. Especially with a starting FS position to fill as well as improved depth to the DL, WR, TE, and OL..

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Not if Trufant isn't going to play next year. Especially with a starting FS position to fill as well as improved depth to the DL, WR, TE, and OL..

He will play. he might even beat out carlos rogers allowing us to cut him and save $6M
Thank God you are not the niners genral manager. In a draft where it is flat between picks 5 and 90, you have the niners trading two picks in the top 90, so the Niners get only 3 players in the top 90 instead of 5. I support the notion of I would rather have 2 second round picks than one first round pick.

The Niners are in a window to win now AND build for the future. Those two picks you traded away would be bad.
You want to replace two starters (Goldson and Rogers) with rookies, cut one starter, use the first five picks on defense, leave open backups at TE, NT, WR, OL and QB until picks #128 and lower? No thanks.
Celek is the back up TE, we don't need to spend a high pick on that

Dorsey and Ian Williams are the NT's...again no need to spend a pick in first 3 rds on that

WR...we just got boldin and drafted aj jenkins in the 1st rd last yr..unless they feel jenkins is a total bust they aren't going to spend a high pick on this

QB in the first 3 rds??? very doubtful

To address what another poster said, the picks aren't "flat" til the 90th pick. There are certain players in the first round who have the upside to develop into pro-bowl players and Carradine and Trufant would fit that bill.

I don't see baalke sitting and taking all these picks...he will move up and get playres we rate highly. the rookie pool will have to be expanded for us if we actually draft 14 players. we aren't going to do that.

lot of people are pretending like last yr's draft didnt' happen, we addressed the OL w/ looney and we took fleming and cam johnson for LB's

Lets see how it plays out, my money is on baalke moving up in to the 1st to snatch a couple of players
Originally posted by 9erred:
Thank God you are not the niners genral manager. In a draft where it is flat between picks 5 and 90, you have the niners trading two picks in the top 90, so the Niners get only 3 players in the top 90 instead of 5. I support the notion of I would rather have 2 second round picks than one first round pick.

The Niners are in a window to win now AND build for the future. Those two picks you traded away would be bad.

In a more polite way, I agree with this guy.

Only two I would smile over trading up for are Datone J and Eifert.. and even then, we're talking # 31 to the early 20's.. so not giving up a ton. This draft is excellent in the 20-80 range. Get as many selections as we can in that range and address all strong needs of DL, DB, TE, WR in BPA fashion.
Share 49ersWebzone