LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

How to Build an Historic Franchise"

Originally posted by JD9671:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Maybe a kicker in the 7th RD.but looks good.

He picked one in the 5th.

Yeah ! to soon for me we pick just sighed a vet kicker

That vet kicker is 38 years old.......
Originally posted by loyalniner:

With the front offices I trust If you feel that Sturgis is that good cool younger is better like to see some comp in the kicking game

With the front offices I trust If you feel that Sturgis is that good cool younger is better like to see some comp in the kicking game

Not saying he's better. I'm saying that Dawson won't be playing forever. He's already 38 and will probably retire after his current contract is up with the Niners. Sooner or later we will need a kicker. If Sturgis kicks like he did at Florida, he could definitely compete. I agree, 5th is pretty early to go for a kicker, but I think it is a big enough need to address.
It is hard to imagine 5 picks in the first 96 players. Almost like we are piggy. Unlike others, i do like an OC picked here. Besides, he can play OG. A lot depends on just how good kilgore has gotten and with no camp, no way to know. If we end up drafting 2 Safeties, fantastic. Kicker I think goes quite a bit lower so we need to put one more guy in, and would probably go CB, depending on BPA, which this draft looks like it is lining up well for us. That pick of Kap last yr is starting to look better and better...and I was floored they did it. Just like Aldon, i wanted someone else. Hence, I no longer do mocks, just enjoy others. Nice job.

Not saying he's better. I'm saying that Dawson won't be playing forever. He's already 38 and will probably retire after his current contract is up with the Niners. Sooner or later we will need a kicker. If Sturgis kicks like he did at Florida, he could definitely compete. I agree, 5th is pretty early to go for a kicker, but I think it is a big enough need to address.

That sounds cool enjoyed your mock 9ers!!!!!!!!!
prob not going kicker anymore and way too high on center.
Jones and Reid would be great.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Agreed. I'm really big on Reid. I think his skillset will translate well to the professional level and he will be one of the better safeties in the league. Maybe not a perennial pro bowler, but a solid starter at the least.
Plus, if I remember correctly, Dawson only signed a 1 year deal.
I've been toying with the idea of drafting two S early in my mocks for weeks, but haven't had the balls to pull the trigger. I kinda like it. As for C, I honestly have no idea why C has become a popular pick in recent WZ mocks. We don't need a C at all.

Agreed. I'm really big on Reid. I think his skillset will translate well to the professional level and he will be one of the better safeties in the league. Maybe not a perennial pro bowler, but a solid starter at the least.

Kind of like a Goldson.

What are the odds we get both?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I've been toying with the idea of drafting two S early in my mocks for weeks, but haven't had the balls to pull the trigger. I kinda like it. As for C, I honestly have no idea why C has become a popular pick in recent WZ mocks. We don't need a C at all.

I debated taking Banks at 34 and Reid at 61, but I felt like with Goodwin at 34 years old in the final year of his contract, it would be nice to have someone to compete for the spot with Looney. Plus, Jones can play multiple positions. We've been lucky in recent years to have an offensive line that has been injury free, but just in case you need someone who can step in at starter level and not let our offense miss a beat. Jones gives us that opportunity

Kind of like a Goldson.

What are the odds we get both?

I think we'll have the opportunity to get both, but don't think we will. I think we should for sure though.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

I debated taking Banks at 34 and Reid at 61, but I felt like with Goodwin at 34 years old in the final year of his contract, it would be nice to have someone to compete for the spot with Looney. Plus, Jones can play multiple positions. We've been lucky in recent years to have an offensive line that has been injury free, but just in case you need someone who can step in at starter level and not let our offense miss a beat. Jones gives us that opportunity

I have to debate you on several points here. First, 34 isn't even that old for a C. His contact is almost up, but in theory he could be re-signed. Second, Looney isn't our only young prospect; there's also Kilgore. Third, even if 1 and 2 weren't the case, C isn't considered a premium position... even if you really want more youth and competition, you can get it in later rounds than the 2nd. Jones is a fine prospect, but the opportunity cost (i.e. not being able to draft another DB or DL or WR) is too high considering the low upside.
even though i really want Tavon Austin and he is not here in this mock. If we were not to get him i would still be very happy if we had a draft like this (as long as Austin does not end up on another team in our division lol)
Share 49ersWebzone