LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

How to Build an Historic Franchise"

Here is my final mock of the offseason (I think). I am assuming here that we trade none of our draft picks (which we will), and that we sign no more free agents (which we should). This is purely based on where we stand right now as a franchise. I used a combination of Walter football (and Charlie) and their mocks, CBS Sports player rankings, and MadDog's big board in order to pick each player at a reasonable area of the draft.** I kept it short to save the eyes! So many with lengthy explanations and videos. If you want more info on a player or rationalization for selecting a certain player, post on the thread and I (or someone else!) will respond with thoughts and comments.

1(31) – Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
2(34) – Eric Reid, FS, LSU
2(61) – Barrett Jones, OC, Alabama
3(74) – Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
3(93) – Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia
4(128) – Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin
4(131) – Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
5(157) – Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
5(164) – Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
6(180) – Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
6(197) – Traded for Anquan Boldin
7(227) – Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech
7(237) – Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA
7(246) – Quanterus Smith, OLB, Western Kentucky
7(252) – Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas

UDFA – Kapron Lewis-Moore, DE, Notre Dame
UDFA – Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
UDFA – John Boyett, FS, Oregon
UDFA – Glenn Foster, DE, Illinois
UDFA – John Wetzel, OT, Boston College
UDFA – Kenneth Tate, OLB, Maryland

** http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
** http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/172082-maddogs-big-254-board/
** http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings
Would we move Reid to SS in this scenario or Rambo? Also are we dropping goodwin and whitner in this scenario?
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Would we move Reid to SS in this scenario or Rambo? Also are we dropping goodwin and whitner in this scenario?

Its been stated by both Fangio and Baalke that the 2 safety positions are interchangeable within the scheme.
I like it.
That is crazy because I could of swore trading the rest of the draft for Ricky Williams would of been the only way to success.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I like it.

Me too!
the only thing I don't like is a center in the 2nd round. After Goodwin who I think stays this year we have Looney and Kilgore to take over in the future. I think we're better suited with a CB or another DL at that spot (maybe WR or another OLB/DE type) not a C
Solid Draft.
Maybe a kicker in the 7th RD.but looks good.
Originally posted by JD9671:

He picked one in the 5th.

Originally posted by Travisty13:

Its been stated by both Fangio and Baalke that the 2 safety positions are interchangeable within the scheme.

The great thing about Reid and Rambo (and Vacarro and Elam) is that they are physical enough to be able to play either position. Neither lacks (tremendously) in coverage skills, and both can deliver a pop!
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by JD9671:

He picked one in the 5th.

Yeah ! to soon for me we pick just sighed a vet kicker
Nice. Good job

We aren't dropping Goodwin or Whitner in this scenario. This allows one (Reid or Rambo) to be day 1 ready (probably Reid) and allows a year of growth behind a pro bowl safety in the last year of his contract. This allows us to let Whitner walk after the season if Rambo is developing properly. Goodwin only has one year left under contract too. So Jones can learn the system and the reads from a seasoned vet. Won't take him all year to learn it, but always does good to acclimate a player rather than throw them in. But who knows? With Jones' smarts, he could be starter day 1. And he'd help us stabilize our OLine for the next several years provided we can resign Iupati and Davis by '15.
Originally posted by matt49er:
the only thing I don't like is a center in the 2nd round. After Goodwin who I think stays this year we have Looney and Kilgore to take over in the future. I think we're better suited with a CB or another DL at that spot (maybe WR or another OLB/DE type) not a C

I thought long and hard about this one. I originally had Johnthan Banks at 34 and Reid at 61, but I think it would do us justice to solidify the center position. Jones is a two-time All-American (at 2 positions) and has experience playing everywhere on the line. With this set up we'd be ready just in case Iupati/Davis don't get resigned like we want. Or if Kilgore/Looney aren't developing like we'd want.
Share 49ersWebzone