LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Why draft a big super fast reciever

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because 40 time is everything, right? Boldin ran a 4.7 40 at the Combine, but by your assessment, he must have been an awful receiver for his career.

Rogers is a tremendous talent, 1st round talent that has dropped because of character issues, he's damn near impossible to jam at the line of scrimmage, he simply outmuscles defensive backs, he uses his width and body well and is a dependable hands receiver, plus a threat to gain yards after the catch. I'd love to have Rogers, he's not a speedster but he will use his size to beat opposing defensive backs.

Generally I'd prefer a smaller, quicker receiver, but Rogers is an absolute beast on the field. If you run a 3 WR set with Crabtree, Boldin and Rogers, that's a b***h to defend, I don't think any team has the ability to handle 3 guys that are that physical, the 49ers secondary struggled with just one in Boldin. I would happily take Rogers on to this team and let him be an active contributor as well as develop to take over for Boldin down the road.

Rogers might be one of the most overrated players in this years draft.

Last year, he had 61 receptions for 893 yards and 10 scores.

He was the 5th ranked receiver in receptions per game and 6th ranked receiver in total receiving yards in the Ohio Valley Conference.
In the FCS, he was 28th in receiving yards and 41st in receptions per game.

If you look at his game to game production. It was hardly consistent.

He had one monster game, one beastly game--against a weak Southeastern Missouri St.
In that game, he had 18 receptions for 303 yards and two scores.
Over 33% of his receiving yards and 29.5% of his receptions came in that one game.

Last year he played in 11 games. That was his only 100 yard game of the season.
He had one game with 0 receiving yards receptions and three games with less than 50 yards.

His apparent inconsistency could be a result of the quarterback he was playing with. I do not know.
The team's passing attack was 5th in the Ohio Valley Conference and 32nd in the FCS.

I just do not think that those are the numbers put up by a beast from the SEC playing against lesser competition.

His numbers raise red flags. One great game, one terrible game, three poor games, 6 decent games.

Does he really have his head on straight?
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
When we already have a WR who fits that discription who Harbaugh really likes in the fold. Who am I talking about?

read this post http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/harbaugh-fired-about-young-wide-receiver

to all of you who keep saying we need bigger recievers we already have them. Crabtree, Boldin, Ricardo Lockette, not to mention 2 other recievers who are meant to play on the outside and have speed tha being AJ jenkins (not a slot guy at all) who is over 6 ft and Marlon who is also 6 FT and can fly. and dont forget MM who is an outside reciever as well. Seems to me we are set on outside recievers.

We have one guy who is most definantly a slot guy named Williams but he is coming off of major surgery so if you ask me thats our need at WR.

Not that we will draft a WR early but if we are going to draft a WR early in the draft, Tavon Austin for me please!!!
Except Lockett, those other players are 6" and under I belive
Originally posted by buck:

He was the 5th ranked receiver in receptions per game and 6th ranked receiver in total receiving yards in the Ohio Valley Conference.

He had one monster game, one beastly game--against a weak Southeastern Missouri St.
Over 33% of his receiving yards and 29.5% of his receptions came in that one game.

He had one game with 0 receiving yards receptions and three games with less than 50 yards.

His apparent inconsistency could be a result of the quarterback he was playing with. I do not know.
The team's passing attack was 5th in the Ohio Valley Conference and 32nd in the FCS.

I just do not think that those are the numbers put up by a beast from the SEC playing against lesser competition.

His numbers raise red flags. One great game, one terrible game, three poor games, 6 decent games.

You need to look at things in context. The year before he was the best WR on the Tennessee team and had over 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns. This past season he played on a much inferior team, with far inferior players around him, especially at quarterback once Lamb went down. Darian Stone is a guy who is a better runner than passer. Rogers' situation wasn't that far different from that of Keenan Allen. Additionally he was THE threat on that Tennessee Tech team and was double-covered basically all season long. Unlike you, I look at it as a guy who in spite of all these factors against him, still managed to do well.

You have to also note that he was more than likely double and triple teamed probably the majority of most games on a 3-8 team. He played in a 2 QB system. He accounted for 893 of a total 2658 receiving yards (roughly 34% of the team's total), with 61 of a total 207 receptions (roughly 29%), and 10 of 27 receiving TDs (roughly 37%). So it's safe to say he accounted for 1/3 of his teams passing offense, while probably being double most of the time.
  • buck
  • Veteran
You need to look at things in context. The year before he was the best WR on the Tennessee team and had over 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns. This past season he played on a much inferior team, with far inferior players around him, especially at quarterback once Lamb went down. Darian Stone is a guy who is a better runner than passer. Rogers' situation wasn't that far different from that of Keenan Allen. Additionally he was THE threat on that Tennessee Tech team and was double-covered basically all season long. Unlike you, I look at it as a guy who in spite of all these factors against him, still managed to do well.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
You have to also note that he was more than likely double and triple teamed probably the majority of most games on a 3-8 team. He played in a 2 QB system. He accounted for 893 of a total 2658 receiving yards (roughly 34% of the team's total), with 61 of a total 207 receptions (roughly 29%), and 10 of 27 receiving TDs (roughly 37%). So it's safe to say he accounted for 1/3 of his teams passing offense, while probably being double most of the time.

Good points.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
coulda woulda shoulda....

Stephen Hill 6'4" 215lbs 4.36 40 time

Hill was/is extremely raw and i still think he would of sat all of last year like Jenkins did. he played last year cause he was on a crappy jets team im tired of people around here acting like we missed out on Hill. He did nothing special his rookie except get playing time due to being on a crappy team.

Big deal with these numbers Boldin got kicked off the team at FSU for shoplifting with Peter Warrick. Warrick got to stay on the team was a his draft choice with all the stats, but where is he now? Stats arent everything and don't tell the whole story.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
coulda woulda shoulda....

Stephen Hill 6'4" 215lbs 4.36 40 time

Got that right..instead of our midget that does not play to this point..
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonr422000:
Big deal with these numbers Boldin got kicked off the team at FSU for shoplifting with Peter Warrick. Warrick got to stay on the team was a his draft choice with all the stats, but where is he now? Stats arent everything and don't tell the whole story.

Boldin turned out to be a very good player, but not every player with problems turns out to be a good player.

I never said that stats tell the whole story. But, in my mind the apparent inconsistency in his stats at Ten Tech raises a red flag.

I have read that the coaching staff at Ten Tech was not particularly pleased with his attitude.

That does not mean that what I read is true. I do not have the source. I will look for the it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is one source. I do not how valid it is. It was written by Bruce Feldman. I do not know if he is reliable.

I will look for something that independently verifies or negates this report.

9. (tie) Da'Rick Rogers passed a whole lot of tests. The former blue-chip WR, who had all sorts of issues at Tennessee before finally getting booted and ended up at Tennessee Tech, told me he was drug tested 10 times while at Tech and says he came up clean each time. At 6-2, 217 and clocking a 4.52 40 with a 39.5-inch vertical, Rogers has the measurables to turn heads, but he's had a litany of problems that included positive drug tests and clashes with coaches at UT. Asked why he bombed out in Knoxville, Rogers said, "Simple. I was immature. I had to take full responsibility, look in the mirror at who I was and what I was doing wrong. I did those things when I went to Tennessee Tech, and it humbled me a lot.

"I play with an edge, and I had to learn to control that edge off the field also. I had to learn how to fix my flaws, and life got easier."

Has he really learned, though? A source told me that Rogers's attitude bothered some of his coaches at Tech, too, and they were skeptical about just how much he really had matured.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21774081/top-10-compelling-nfl-combine-story-lines

I could not find any directly collaborating source. I did find some that have a positive take on him.

Here is one.

02/22/2013 - Rogers faced a constant onslaught of questions about his past and didn't offer up a single excuse. While all prospects are coached-up by their agents for the combine sessions with the media and team interviews, there was an air of sincerity to Rogers. He spoke with humilty and didn't dodge a single difficult question. Rogers knows he damaged his own reputation, cost himself draft position and money, and doesn't place the blame on anyone else. And he doesn't expect anyone to simply forgive his transgressions and draft him solely on his physical skills.

"I did it to myself. You have to accept responsibility for what you did and move forward," said Rogers, who added that he passed 10 drug tests while at Tennessee Tech. "All I can do is come in, work hard and get my foot in the door." Rogers believes he's among the most physically gifted wide receivers in this draft and expects to run "in the low 4.4s" in the 40-yard dash this weekend. "I'm gonna be fast. Let me put it like that," he said. - Derek Harper, The Sports Xchange

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1737204

Still have my concerns, but if Baalke decides to take the guy I will root for him and wish him luck.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM ]

• dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
We have to win the division first, and with Seattle's big CBs, it would be nice to have a 6'3"+ 220+ pound guy to do battle with them.

Once again, I'm of the mind that you don't fight strength vs strength, you fight strength vs weakness. Having a big, physical possession receiver can help, especially in regards to run blocking, but you beat big DB's through quickness, you have guys who go where they can't. Browner for example has relatively slow hips, he's struggled with quick speed receivers, so you utilize those shifty guys to get separation and make big plays down the field.

Think about it the other way around, if you have a big tall CB who is good in coverage but not the fastest or most fluid guy out on the field, do you want him matched up with a bigger receiver or do you want him on a smaller burner that can use their quickness and speed to get separation and get down the field in a hurry?

I would agree with that to a degree but you cannot just ignore the size issue altogether. As it stands now, Boldin has decent size but is not going to overpower the better DBs. A Demaryius Thomas type of receiver would keep guys like Browner honest and allow the quick guys to go after whoever is left.

I believe you must be able to balance out the defense at some level. Speed and quickness just are not enough in the RZ.

you want to talk stats how about this 3 year college career

3,413 receiving yards - little over 1,125 yards per year

29 td reception - just about 10 TD's a year

and this guy got better each year so his senior stats are the best. Those are the receiving stats of Tavon Austin.

not to mention his 1,031 rushing yard plus 6 TD's

or his 2,840 return yards including 5 total returns for TD's

add all that up and strictly going by stats Austin should be the first reciever taken off the board in this draft. Bar none.

I'm hoping he is not and we can get him mid to late in the first with maybe a 1st and a 3rd but those are the stats if you go strictly by them he will most definitely be gone unless we trade way up to like top 15 in the draft.
Aaron Dobson is the only big fast physical receiver I see in the draft. But yes I do think we need a big fast receiver but perhaps we could wait another to draft one. slot receiver in the middle rounds may be the route we take

anyone know any big WRs coming up in 2014 or 2015?
to me it's all about being balanced we have small shifty WR K.Williams M.Manningham N maybe AJ.Jenkins then we have average size WR M.Crabtree N A.Boldin so what's so wrong with having a bigg 6'2-6'3++ WR? ?? If we get to much about only having speed teams can game plan against it being balanced is tha key to everything ...
I seriously doubt that the niners will draft a wr in the first two rounds. So I hope those of you who are clamouring for one, won't go off the deep end if it doesn't happen. Problem is we have more serious needs on D and TE.

If we do draft offense it will be TE, the reason is a wr won't see the light of day much as much as a Safetey, DL, CB or TE. Although Manningham, Williams are injured and the jury is still out on Jenkins, one of the three if not all three will contribute enough, seperately or combined. You gotta remember, the system, you guys are looking like we will be a new orleans or packers type O, when we are not. Yes I realize about injuries, but that can be said of any position. Right now, because of Dashon's departure, safety, then DL, then TE (or TE then DL), then CB, but always with an eye on who is available and the talent level for the pick.
Share 49ersWebzone