There are 230 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Thanks for the reply. Like you, I'm not huge on Patterson, and love the top 3 WRs you listed. Also a very big Alford fan (feel like he has elite instincts and rarely gets tested--a testament to keeping up with his WR even when you can't see him in a agame). As for Ford, I've also been paying attention. How often are players that are not at the combine drafted? I'd like him as a 7th rd pick (we have plenty of those!). One last Q...do you have a pick you're "hoping" the niners make?

I believe about 1/5 of all players selected are non-combine invitees. So, it is a significant number.

There are a number of guys that I think are terrific players of value outside the first couple of rounds. I will highlight two. I hope the Niners take a long look at Nebraska RB Rex Burkhead. He is going to be a late round draftee, but has the size and strength and speed measurables to go much higher. The guy always falls forward after contact, and is a load.

Cornelius Washington is way underrated. He has the violent hands that snap OL backward. He is a guy that is going to surprise at the next level.

Finally, I will throw in one early rounder. Jonathan Cyprien is a stud. I thought he was crazy good at the Senior Bowl. Terrific all around game. Can cover well, hit, good instincts. I would be very pleased if the team picked him up at 31, he is that good.

Thanks for that info. I was intrigued by Washington at one point. What stood out to me is that while he doesn't have many sacks, the guy has 29 QB hurries over the last 2 years! That puts him in absolutely elite company for that stat. I find that often correlates with NFL success (although I have yet to do a full analysis on that). As for Cyprien, I've stated before that I don't see the big deal. But I'm also not an expert, and it seems that everyone and their mother loves him.
Who in your opinion is the closest prospect to justin smith, whether he's still in school or coming out this year
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jarvis Jones ran a 4.98 forty at his pro day. That can not help.

Also, he did 20 reps and had a poor broad jump.

In my estimation, the top of this draft keeps looking weaker, and weaker as we get closer to the draft.
MadDog:
How do you rank the NTs in this years draft from a Niners position? Also how do you rank the DEs for the Niners in this years draft?
Originally posted by buck:

In my estimation, the top of this draft keeps looking weaker, and weaker as we get closer to the draft.

Stock Dropping FAST

I wonder if Baalke is taking a look at Jarvis. Hell his stock is plummeting to the point that we can pick him up at 34.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

I wonder if Baalke is taking a look at Jarvis. Hell his stock is plummeting to the point that we can pick him up at 34.

NO
Just two things, besides really nice job, MD. First is that 4 qbs , 3 for sure are going to be taken in rd 1 when they surely deserve to be in rd 2, maybe even one in rd 3. . That is 4 players good for us, when Jax, Raids, Buf and maybe eagles go QB with obvious players nowhere near BPA in draft, and who knows, maybe not NFL starting qbs period. 2nd thing is looking at your board , as you mentioned, the strength of this sucker thru the middle, rds 2 to rd 3.5. Man it looks like we can do some serious damage with 14 picks.We all know trent isn't making 14 picks. Also the S strength really makes it look like we get one very good one for sure. My bet is 7 picks in first 100 players chosen...and that is saying something..

Some guys starting at Qb this yr are going to be half as good a player as an OT or DE that could have been taken instead. I don't disagree with your draft positions, just commenting on "how to make a really bad pick based on need". The Kap pick of 2 seasons back is starting to look more brilliant by the day. I would bet anything trent and JH knew how weak this yr's qbs really were. For the record, MD, any thots on AJ as last yrs #1 pick? Didn't you have him somewhat lower?
Again, super job MD and thanks.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM ]

Reminds me of Joey Porter on the field. Although 4.98 is oddly slow.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
My Excel Spreadsheet for the past two years is a nightmare to post on this board. Two years ago, I could copy and past my Excel and it would be in perfect rows. The past two years, when I copy and paste, it becomes one massive paragraph. I have to manually enter 254 times to make a nice column. So, just to clean this one a bit, I snuck Barner in between 136 and 137, since I didnt want to hit enter 254 times again. Watford was bumped from my board, that is true. If that makes sense. On my Excel it is clean.

I like the CB's. I think Milliner is NOT going to be a top 6, 8 or maybe top 10 pick, but somewhere in the 11-15 range. After him, Trufant should go pretty soon. Rhodes probably in that 18-26 region and that might be it for first rounders. A couple of the guys I really like outside the first round are: Webb, Alford and McFadden. I know that many teams want their 6' corner, but a lot of these 5'10' guys are going to be better overall players at the next level.

I think need trumps many things, so I see a slight slide for Okafor. I love the kid, so this is not my view of his future. Just think that a big run on DT, CB's, OL push him down the board a bit.

As for WR's, probably the most unpredictable position on the field for me to evaluate. To me, trying to make a certain evaluation of WR's is like herding cats. Good luck. I have Austin, Hopkins, Patton, Goodwin, and King as my top five right now on my BPA board for WR. Next would be Patterson.

Ford is a guy I consider a bubble draftee. I lean against him being picked, but he could slide into those late rounds. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Very solid campus workout and seems to be stacking on some weight. I am keeping an eye on him, that is for sure.

Not hoping to hijack but why not save the excel file and open it with notepad?

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Who is your #1 safety regardless of value? Is it Vaccaro like most scouts, or do you go with Cyprien as the top prospect?

The reason I ask is that I, like you, am coming around to the idea of Cyprien at #31. But if Vaccaro is available at #29 like you predict, shouldn't we trade up and draft him instead? The cost would be tiny to get the #1 player at the position.

I want one of Vaccaro, Cyprien, or Thomas.

1. Vaccaro
2. Cyprien
3. Elam
4. Josh Evans

That is my safety board.
Hey Mad Dog,

Where do you think Mike Edwards out of Hawaii will be drafted now that he posted a 4.42 40 at his recent pro day?

The 5'10, 180lb CB is a good player, athlete and return man.

Thanks.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM ]
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Hey Mad Dog,

Where do you think Mike Edwards out of Hawaii will be drafted now that he posted a 4.42 40 at his recent pro day?

The 5'10, 180lb CB is a good player, athlete and return man.

Thanks.

A bit conflicted with Edwards. The advisory committee gave the junior a favorable grade, but with a mediocre combine time, and at 5'9", and with an attempted robbery charge in his past, I think he goes undrafted. I could end up changing my opinion, but I think there are too many strikes against him as a late rounder. We will soon see. Caution on the Hawaii Pro Day times. I tend to add a .10 to some of the campus Pro-Day forty times, so, to me, he is a player who is a 4.50-4.55 guy.
Still attempting to load Excel correctly. Sorry.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
Originally posted by rayn36:
Not hoping to hijack but why not save the excel file and open it with notepad?

Just tried it, but through New Text Document- Notepad...same result...one massive paragraph.
Share 49ersWebzone