LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board

Originally posted by hofer36:
hey maddog---it appears by niners pursuit of ashomagua that ballke and harbaugh want a cornerback with some size.....

assuming that they wait till rounds 3-5 to get one, who do you like better, tharold simon of lsu or sanders commings of georgia?

Probably Commings, although I want to make sure he is a good citizen. Prior record needs investigation by the team. Not enthusiastic about either prospect
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 24, 2013 at 5:40 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Based on the above, Jessie and Brandon Williams would be good picks; the former at DE and the latter at NT.

We do have enough picks to move up to get Datone Jones.
I am not sure if a trading partner can be found, but rumors indicate that many teams do want to move down.

edit: Add Nick Williams from Samford, and we could build our very own Williams Wall.

Nick Williams is a guy that might go early than I project at 144. Looked solid at his Pro Day. He'd be in that nix for NT's, if the team wanted a developmental guy.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Being older it is a little less likely that he'll much weight to his frame.

Being 26 next year does not help his stock. Ask the Eagles how Danny Watkins has played out for them. He was the same age, and went in the first. Yikes!!
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Are you excluding Kawann Short or think he's ill-suited for the scheme?

I think he is a 43 undertackle. Not high on him as a DE.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Rhodes at 30? D.J. Hayden at 130? Mayock has rhodes in the top 15 and hayden as a first rounder. Huge discrepency

Mixed early results on Rhodes Pro Day workout. Some think he is a bit stiff and may need to convert to safety. Others think he is a top 15. I tend to think he falls into the 18-26 range.

I currently have Hayden at 60 because I originally thought his medicals would scare off llteam. The guy nearly died last year, and the last thing a team wants is a dead guy in their uniform on the turf. From all reports, doctors think he is a miracle, and appear to give him a clean bill. However, nobody really knows. Every year, players thought to be first rounders drop into the middle rounds. Charles Brown, Bruce Campbell, Marcus Cannon, all fell way below where they were projected for back and cancer reasons.

Hayden is one of those guys who could be a mid-second, or completely undrafted. We will soon see.
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
Your thoughts on William Gholston? From what i read he �s big enough to be a 3/4 end on rushing down and athl�tic enough to be DE on a 4 front.
H� could be draft between late 3rd and 4th and the huddlereport is very high on him

All the talent in the world, and very little motor. Don't get it. Probably a 4th rounder
18 Datone Jones UCLA DE
19 Bjoern Werner Florida St DE/OLB
20 Desmond Trufant Washington CB
21 Sylvester Williams North Carolina DT
22 Cornellius Carradine Florida St DE
23 Arthur Brown Kansas St LB
24 DJ Fluker Alabama OT
25 Alec Ogletree Georgia LB
26 Tyler Eifert Notre Dame TE
27 EJ Manuel Florida St QB
28 Jesse Williams Alabama DT
29 Kenny Vaccaro Texas S
30 Xavier Rhodes Florida St CB
31 Eddie Lacy Alabama RB
32 Kawann Short Purdue DT
33 Terron Armstead Arkansas Pine Bluff OT
34 DeAndre Hopkins Clemson WR
35 Jonathan Cyprien Florida International S
36 Keenan Allen Cal WR
37 Jamar Taylor Boise St CB
38 Mike Glennon NC State QB
39 Menelik Watson Florida St OT
40 Damontre Moore Texas A&M DE
41 Matt Elam Florida S

It looks like this range of players might be available for the first pick. I hope the 49ers go defensive i.e. DT, DE, or safety. I also wouldn't mind a WR with one of our first 2 picks. Should be exciting. Thanks Maddog...
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Are you excluding Kawann Short or think he's ill-suited for the scheme?

I think he is a 43 undertackle. Not high on him as a DE.

When you watch Short, can you not see a bit of a 3-4 1 gap NT in him ?

Thoughts on this sudden emergence of CB D.J. Hayden ? looks like you have him at 147.. so not buying the hype ?

Why you no love Jordan Poyer as I do ?
Fryet,

I owe you a steak dinner someday. Problem solved. Thanks.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Fryet,

I owe you a steak dinner someday. Problem solved. Thanks.
As a programmer, it was the way I could contribute to your work. Happy to do it, and thanks again for all of the work that you do on this. I don't know much about college players, and I view your list as the best 49er draft resource available.

Originally posted by iLL49er:
Datone Jones or Tank Carradine....i'd be happy w/ either but lean a little to Carradine as I can see him dropping due to the ACL injury and we can snag him w/o having to move up

Jones. More of a natural, although small 34 DE. Carradine more of a 43 DE.

We are in nickel 4-3 type formation most of every game. Love tank. Best player for us at that spot if he even drops. We might have to move up
Google Chrome and Notepad...good combination. Thanks again.

Will be reloading the Big Board on the front page again.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Based on the above, Jessie and Brandon Williams would be good picks; the former at DE and the latter at NT.

We do have enough picks to move up to get Datone Jones.
I am not sure if a trading partner can be found, but rumors indicate that many teams do want to move down.

edit: Add Nick Williams from Samford, and we could build our very own Williams Wall.

Nick Williams is a guy that might go early than I project at 144. Looked solid at his Pro Day. He'd be in that nix for NT's, if the team wanted a developmental guy.

Nick Williams is long and lean--almost 6-5 and a little under 310--and fast. I would draft him as a DE.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Rhodes at 30? D.J. Hayden at 130? Mayock has rhodes in the top 15 and hayden as a first rounder. Huge discrepency

Mixed early results on Rhodes Pro Day workout. Some think he is a bit stiff and may need to convert to safety. Others think he is a top 15. I tend to think he falls into the 18-26 range.

I currently have Hayden at 60 because I originally thought his medicals would scare off llteam. The guy nearly died last year, and the last thing a team wants is a dead guy in their uniform on the turf. From all reports, doctors think he is a miracle, and appear to give him a clean bill. However, nobody really knows. Every year, players thought to be first rounders drop into the middle rounds. Charles Brown, Bruce Campbell, Marcus Cannon, all fell way below where they were projected for back and cancer reasons.

Hayden is one of those guys who could be a mid-second, or completely undrafted. We will soon see.

Dude tore his inferior vena cava. He is border line retarded to keep playing if you ask me.
How much does Jesse Williams short arms worry you? It seemed like Williams was the best player on the Bama defense IMO at the end of the year. He absolutely dominated people towards the end of his career, but his short arms do bother me in a two gap 5 technique.
Share 49ersWebzone